Not a starter | The Boneyard

Not a starter

Which of these players will not be a starter for the majority of the games this coming season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Which of these players will not be a starter for the majority of the games this coming season?

(Vote for 2 players)

Reaction Score
Much too early for the poll--speculation is always highly rated on the By -- so I speculate--Walker and or Danger may fool many --until the seasons starts---injuries--defensive abilities, practicing, academics--many things beyond native ability to score or size that may change dramatically once the REAL practices begin. I think Italy will have a huge factor in chemistry and "units"

My personal opinion is that ---a lock on starting only goes with Samuelson, Collier, Gabby, Kia---until I see Stevens playing in a Uconn Uniform--I'll hold judgement--same goes with all the new guys--also it is highly likely--starting will not be as highly rated as playing time

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
IMO Walker is a no brainer - just look at Auriemma's history. I don't see her starting although she may end up pushing Dangerfield out of the starting lineup. I would not be surprised if Stevens were to start.

It is never too early for speculation.

Reaction Score
I think Gabby is a lock to start, but I get the impression that, of all last year's starters, she's the one who would care least whether she starts or comes off the bench. So long as she contributes, I don't think she cares what role she is asked to fill.

Reaction Score
"not a starter for the majority of the games": Megatron without question.

As for the rest of the returning starters..... who knows. Geno has the luxury to do whatever the heck he wants to do. Small ball, Big ball, small quick guard play, big guard ball etc.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The lack of votes for Gabby means everyone thinks that she will be a starter next year.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with Gabby Williams. If Stevens and Collier start that will most likely mean that Williams would move to the 3 in order to start, which I think she will. It will be interesting to see how effective she is when she is moved farther from the basket? she is probably going to have to prove that she can shoot more than the 15-foot jumper from the FT line.

I think Nurse starts at PG, Samuelson and Williams play at 2 and 3, Collier plays the 4 and Stevens plays the 5. But, I don't think any of the players will be stuck playing one position. There will probably be quite a bit of movement around the court for everyone.

Reaction Score
I think it will be interesting to see what happens with Gabby Williams. If Stevens and Collier start that will most likely mean that Williams would move to the 3 in order to start, which I think she will. It will be interesting to see how effective she is when she is moved farther from the basket? she is probably going to have to prove that she can shoot more than the 15-foot jumper from the FT line.

I think Nurse starts at PG, Samuelson and Williams play at 2 and 3, Collier plays the 4 and Stevens plays the 5. But, I don't think any of the players will be stuck playing one position. There will probably be quite a bit of movement around the court for everyone.

Stevens will play the 3 on offense but guard the 5 on defense. With UConn's offense there is a lot of motion and very little reliance on "traditional" sets. The position numbers are little more than just a label.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stevens will play the 3 on offense but guard the 5 on defense. With UConn's offense there is a lot of motion and very little reliance on "traditional" sets. The position numbers are little more than just a label.

Interesting. I cannot see Geno putting a 6-6 player on the wing when there is so little size other than her. And I though lack of size was an issue against MSU. But you know Geno a lot better than I do.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Start, smart, smeh... question is minutes per game and I suspect Meghan will have the least of this group, followed by Crystal. CD is either going to have the least or the most minutes. I'd like it to be the later, but sorta expect the former.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I cannot see Geno putting a 6-6 player on the wing when there is so little size other than her. And I though lack of size was an issue against MSU. But you know Geno a lot better than I do.

I think Z will play on the wing as well, even if she is listed at 6'6 she's still a F/G on the roster and I believe we will see her play a role similar to that.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Z will play on the wing as well, even if she is listed at 6'6 she's still a F/G on the roster and I believe we will see her play a role similar to that.
I agree with the idea of "3 on offense; 5 on defense". That is basically what Stewie did in her junior and senior years. On offense, she is versatile and Geno will take advantage of that versatility, moving her out to the 3-point line and in to the low post, and everywhere in between. He will use her to force players like A'ja Wilson and Kalani Brown (if UConn plays Baylor in the tournament) to leave the paint to guard her.

But on defense, she is the only one who can provide rim protection, and Geno will not sacrifice that by having her play outside the paint unless the opponent uses a 5-out offense.

Reaction Score

He did put 6-5 Breanna Stewart on the wing with only Tuck at 6-2. Lack of size in MSU game was most prevalent on the glass and getting defensive rebounds. I expect Stevens to guard the 5 on defense.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just took another look at the poll a moment ago. The consensus seems to be that Stevens will start, Dangerous will be the first sub off the bench, followed by Camara (in my opinion) and at some point Walker. I'm with the majority on this one.

If the lack of height was a problem (and concern) all last year for UConn, and players were forced to play out of position (Gabby & Lou), and now we have a third year 6'6" player that is eligible, ready, willing and able to play, why wouldn't you start her? She solves the height problem from a season ago. Gabby and Lou can return to their normal positions.

It's my very humble opinion that IF for some reason, the guard play is so bad, that it reaches the point of serious concern to the staff, and think Dangerfield should be moved into the starting line-up, I would think one of the other guards would be pulled, not Stevens. If the problem is not with the position she's playing (or her performance), then why pull her?

No way do I envision this scenario occurring.
All of the returning starters are excellent ball handlers. We do know that both Stevens and Dangerfield will get a boatload of minutes this season regardless of their status (starter/reserve). I'm just scratching my head, and thinking out loud here. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Start, smart, smeh... question is minutes per game and I suspect Meghan will have the least of this group, followed by Crystal. CD is either going to have the least or the most minutes. I'd like it to be the later, but sorta expect the former.

Rocky, I guarantee you that once the season starts, we won't care who starts or comes off the bench. We'll be happy the season has resumed, we'll be satisfied with whoever Geno sends out there. We'll be so focused on the play of the 5 players that are on the floor at any given time, watching their execution, and looking for which combination of players works best, we will have forgotten about this poll, and others like it. We'll be enjoying their new win streak, and their high level of play and execution, along with the unselfish manor in which they'll go about playing with, and in support of each other.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky, I guarantee you that once the season starts, we won't care who starts or comes off the bench. We'll be happy the season has resumed, we'll be satisfied with whoever Geno sends out there. We'll be so focused on the play of the 5 players that are on the floor at any given time, watching their execution, and looking for which combination of players works best, we will have forgotten about this poll, and others like it. We'll be enjoying their new win streak, and their high level of play and execution, along with the unselfish manor in which they'll go about playing with, and in support of each other.

Certainly the way I see it, though I wouldn't rain on the parade of those who get a kick out of extending these debates. It is better than debating about why some player would not take the press podium after a loss. :rolleyes::oops:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Certainly the way I see it, though I wouldn't rain on the parade of those who get a kick out of extending these debates. It is better than debating about why some player would not take the press podium after a loss. :rolleyes::oops:

I agree. We need more fodder. It's going to be a l-o-n-g summer. :rolleyes:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I appreciate the votes for everyone except Gabby. I mean Gabby? She may not have been AAC player of the year last year, but she should have been!! Can't wait for this season to start!
I still feel most posters put too much emphasis on who starts.

Too me Gabby is the ideal player to be first off the bench in a meaningful game. She can play multiple positions and lock up different players. She will bring experience and intensity right from her first minute.

Walker would have to change her name to Maya Taurisi to have s chance to start

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom