Northwestern @ DePaul (20) - 12/05/18 | The Boneyard

Northwestern @ DePaul (20) - 12/05/18

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
An intriguing matchup. Northwestern impressed early with a road win at Green Bay and then a complete dismantling of Duke. But ... then they lost a home game to Pitt, a team that has otherwise looked awful. Hmmm.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Can I just point out Tennessee is down 12 points at home to 1-6 Stetson in the 2nd quarter? The Vols will likely win going away but that should never happen...yet it routinely does.

Reaction Score
32-16 NW at end of first.
That’s a lot of scoring for NW with only one three point shot. Their best player is out with an injury.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, 17-1 run in 4 minutes?

It was only 1 game, but I was really unimpressed w/ DePaul against UConn. The Huskies make a lot of teams look bad, but DePaul looked disorganized and had bad shot selection. They just seem like a gimmicky team to me, hoist as many 3's as humanly possible and hope some of them go in. I know many posters here are fans of Coach Bruno but I can't say I'm one of them.

Reaction Score
A little reversal of fortune in the second period.
NW had 32 pts in the first quarter; only 3 pts in the second.

35-33 NW at the half

Plebe

Reaction Score
Wow, 17-1 run in 4 minutes?

It was only 1 game, but I was really unimpressed w/ DePaul against UConn. The Huskies make a lot of teams look bad, but DePaul looked disorganized and had bad shot selection. They just seem like a gimmicky team to me, hoist as many 3's as humanly possible and hope some of them go in. I know many posters here are fans of Coach Bruno but I can't say I'm one of them.
And yet he runs perhaps the most successful non-P5 program in the country (outside of UConn, of course). Perennial NCAA tournament team, and in recent years they have twice pulled off huge upsets of higher seeds in true road games in the 2nd round (once at Duke, once at Louisville), and almost did it a 3rd time last year at Texas A&M. Very few of his players are highly recruited out of high school. He does great with what he gets.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
DePaul ran away from NW and win by 16. :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And yet he runs perhaps the most successful non-P5 program in the country (outside of UConn, of course). Perennial NCAA tournament team, and in recent years they have twice pulled off huge upsets of higher seeds in true road games in the 2nd round (once at Duke, once at Louisville), and almost did it a 3rd time last year at Texas A&M. Very few of his players are highly recruited out of high school. He does great with what he gets.
And Doug is always ranked in the top 25. Imagine if one day he got a couple of top 10 recruits? Or even one?

Reaction Score
Didn’t want to start a seperate thread but... Purdue lost to Ohio University.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, big swing from Q1 til the end of the game.

As pointed out Bruno has been successful at DePaul. I'm not saying he's a bad coach.

Looked at box score, DePaul had 11 steals, 21 turnovers overall for Northwestern. DePaul took 32 3's, not an unreasonable number.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Didn’t want to start a seperate thread but... Purdue lost to Ohio University.
Ohio isn't a bad team at all. Undefeated so far, although Purdue is their most notable opponent to date. They're in the same conference (MAC) as Buffalo and Central Michigan, both Sweet 16 teams last year.

Reaction Score
Just thought I'd point out that Abby Wolf, the former Greenwich High School star and 6'5" post player for Northwestern, had a fine game in a losing cause- 8 points, 11 rebounds and a steal in 25 minutes against DePaul. She's been mainly a little utilized sub during her first two years, despite her height and build. Hoping that this is her breakout game.

Reaction Score
Just thought I'd point out that Abby Wolf, the former Greenwich High School star and 6'5" post player for Northwestern, had a fine game in a losing cause- 8 points, 11 rebounds and a steal in 25 minutes against DePaul. She's been mainly a little utilized sub during her first two years, despite her height and build. Hoping that this is her breakout game.

She most likely benefited from the starting post player being out early with an injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom