Northern Arizona Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Northern Arizona Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
The young guys all looked like they've been practicing under Hurley for a lot longer than than a few weeks. They just seemed to fit into the program and looked like UConn players. Sure, there's lots of room to grow, but they all fit in.

Yes, Samson is a player; not just a parked Ferrari. He's had so little PT, but he looked confident and aggressive. More PT will work wonders for his game.

Reaction Score
2 things:
1) Why do I have to look at that nose-hair advertisement on this page?
2) They looked solid but they all need to work on FTs, especially Cling or he will be hacked all year.

1) Ads are based on search history. The internet thinks you're hairy.

2) Castle too. He's been streaky at the line historically. Needs to be consistently 75% from the line with how much he operates and draws fouls in the lane.

Reaction Score
A fair point and in today’s game you need 3-4 shooters in the rotation. Tristen can be a streaky shooter. He had 19 points the Championship game.
I think we have more outside shooting then last year they just weren’t falling tonight. Karaban and Spencer are both probably 40 plus percent from 3 this year and Newton should improve on last year. I’d think Castle is a better shooter then AJ too.

Reaction Score
The young guys all looked like they've been practicing under Hurley for a lot longer than than a few weeks.

Because they have been. Kids get on campus in June to do skill work. Only one with a late start was Stewart. You get 30 practices before the first game officially.

Reaction Score
It is only logical that a recent foot injury would have that result of impacting his explosiveness. I was more concern that Donovan would try to do too much too soon. The reality is he won’t be 100% for some of the elite upcoming games. I would rather accept that and have us play smart than ask too much and have the injury reoccur. We need to think the long game.
He did look a little bigger and out of shape compared than last year but it could be due to not really working out for the last month like you mentioned. Hopefully he can shed that baby fat now that he is healthy.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Please. Corey Magette and William Avery both got half a milly from Duke. And those were 1999 dollars.
Not sure who he was referring to. It did not strike me as Flagg when he said it but the context was just as important. The parent saying”we are not sure what we are going to do, we have a $500k offer but we think we can do better”. Just that dialogue, I believe it was happening before and the big name or wealthy schools schools were really in a position to offer almost anything. Used to be cars and better places to live. Now it is the big league. One way or the other there has to be some structure put around this NIL situation. If they lower academic standards even more the Ivy League schools with billions in their coffers may end up controlling college sports. Remember SMU even now they are still so well off they can join the ACC and not share in any of the revenue because they don’t have too.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
It's great to see the program back to a point where players can somewhat sleep walk through a game and win by 40.
Yes like the glory days when you could put these games on and know we were going to win by a bunch. Those 4 or 5 years when every game was a battle pre season were tough. I will be honest never thought we would get back to this level again. That we are will help me enjoy my upcoming retirement a little more.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I was really impressed by Spencer's BBIQ; he looks like a guy who will have an impact beyond the box score. Not the freakish athlete AJAX was, but a guy that sees the whole floor and knows where the ball needs to go.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As I said I think his timing and explosiveness was a bit off from the layoff, it has nothing to do with him not being mean enough.

There were times last season he was off balance and rushed it but he usually tries to dunk everything. He was over 72% at the rim last year.
He can certainly dunk, and it is really hard to stop without fouling. He wasn't very good last year when he couldn't dunk. I was hoping to see maybe a little better touch on non dunks, more patience, and I'd love to even see a short jump shot (he'll need it in the NBA). Didn't see that, but I expect he's been working on those and it will come. All things considered he played well.

We will need much more and better outside shooting against better teams. This game our bigs dominated, but it will be harder against good teams. Karaban putting the ball on the floor was the single most important thing I saw yesterday. That changes everything.

Reaction Score
1) Ads are based on search history. The internet thinks you're hairy.

2) Castle too. He's been streaky at the line historically. Needs to be consistently 75% from the line with how much he operates and draws fouls in the lane.

I'm gonna remain optimistic for both of them to get much better over the course of the season.

Big Don's first 2 foul shots were very early in the 1st game of the season and you could tell he was still over-hyped up. Both shots were long. Wayyyy Long. His last 5 or 6 FT attempts looked much, much better. Nice form, smooth, more relaxed.

Same thing with Castle. His FTs in the 2nd half looked really nice.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna remain optimistic for both of them to get much better over the course of the season.

Big Don's first 2 foul shots were very early in the 1st game of the season and you could tell he was still over-hyped up. Both shots were long. Wayyyy Long. His last 5 or 6 FT attempts looked much, much better. Nice form, smooth, more relaxed.

Same thing with Castle. His FTs in the 2nd half looked really nice.

Don't even need much from Don. 65-70% should keep us winning.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The sum of the pieces is impressive for 1st game performances.
I would rather have won by 20 and allow the freshmen to play at least 10 minutes apiece. I still cant figure out why DH gets so much satisfaction in killing these teams by 50 or more points.

Reaction Score
I think we have more outside shooting then last year they just weren’t falling tonight. Karaban and Spencer are both probably 40 plus percent from 3 this year and Newton should improve on last year. I’d think Castle is a better shooter then AJ too.
You and I are likely better shooters than AJ

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm stunned by the number of people harping on free throws in a blowout. Not only is it irrelevant, what happens in one game has nothing to do with the next. I thought we learned that last year. Folks were constantly saying free throws would be a factor and it wasn't ever. We're fine shooting free throws. It's lazy commentary.

Reaction Score
I'm all aboard this team for another final four run, and all the players did something I liked. I loved only 8 turnovers, 10 blocks, 56% from the field and holding NAriz to 34%. Our 2 primary 3 point shooters were 5-9 from 3, which is disguised by misses from others. Castle, Ross, Stewart, and Ball, all showed they will bring something. This was a game for them to just get their feet wet without a real grade. Castle made the great spin move to the hoop that is the type of play he will make a bunch. Singare was confused on offensive spacing but was able to play to his shot blocking strength in limited appearance.

Entering the season, my fears were Donovan's free throw shooting, first half early foul trouble on our 2 main bigs, and Johnson getting matched against physical players. I think shooting, team defense, and everything else will work out.

Although it was mentioned the other day that Emeka only shot 56% from the line, (I didn't verify), the season is much easier if Donovan can hit 65% at least at the line.

In this game it was a choice that Donovan stayed on the bench after Johnson's first 2 fouls and we went to small ball with Alex at the 5. I'll watch those possessions again, but I was not encouraged that that was working for us, even against this competition.

Johnson showed he can be effective at the valuable skill rolling to the basket for a high lob, but in general the jury has to be out until we play better teams. (He did pass a wide open 12' shot late in the game that I found curious). Loved to see him smile. It must be very satisfying to finally contribute.

In high school Karaban always played like he did last night with some moves to the hoop. Last year he just deferred to the offensive scheme, (similarly Sanogo shot 3's and drove to the basket when I watched him in high school, but didn't use those skills until it fit the scheme).

All in all, every other team has their weaknesses too. I like our chances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm all aboard this team for another final four run, and all the players did something I liked. I loved only 8 turnovers, 10 blocks, 56% from the field and holding NAriz to 34%. Our 2 primary 3 point shooters were 5-9 from 3, which is disguised by misses from others. Castle, Ross, Stewart, and Ball, all showed they will bring something. This was a game for them to just get their feet wet without a real grade. Castle made the great spin move to the hoop that is the type of play he will make a bunch. Singare was confused on offensive spacing but was able to play to his shot blocking strength in limited appearance.

Entering the season, my fears were Donovan's free throw shooting, first half early foul trouble on our 2 main bigs, and Johnson getting matched against physical players. I think shooting, team defense, and everything else will work out.

Although it was mentioned the other day that Emeka only shot 56% from the line, (I didn't verify), the season is much easier if Donovan can hit 65% at least at the line.

In this game it was a choice that Donovan stayed on the bench after Johnson's first 2 fouls and we went to small ball with Alex at the 5. I'll watch those possessions again, but I was not encouraged that that was working for us, even against this competition.

Johnson showed he can be effective at the valuable skill rolling to the basket for a high lob, but in general the jury has to be out until we play better teams. (He did pass a wide open 12' shot late in the game that I found curious). Loved to see him smile. It must be very satisfying to finally contribute.

In high school Karaban always played like he did last night with some moves to the hoop. Last year he just deferred to the offensive scheme, (similarly Sanogo shot 3's and drove to the basket when I watched him in high school, but didn't use those skills until it fit the scheme).

All in all, every other team has their weaknesses too. I like our chances.
We couldn’t use that small ball lineup often but it seemed fine for this type of game to get the younger guys in

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
The sum of the pieces is impressive for 1st game performances.
I would rather have won by 20 and allow the freshmen to play at least 10 minutes apiece. I still cant figure out why DH gets so much satisfaction in killing these teams by 50 or more points.
If I had to guess, Kenpom

Reaction Score
Our starting 5 is stacked. We have size, athleticism, passing, shooting, and capable defenders. Biggest concern will be shooting off the bench. Looking like the first 3 off the bench will be Diarra, Ball, and Samson.

Reaction Score
Did Fanta, Donny Marshall, and Jim Calhoun just break Bill Walton's record for longest talk-a-thon during game play without ever saying anything about the game we are watching? A fan like my wife hasn't got any idea who the new players are. First game of the year, maybe at least identify the players, and maybe who a foul is called on. That was terrible.
Fanta & Donny were doing such a terrible job calling the game that the JC segment was a huge reprieve.

They completely disregarded substitutions all night, super weird approach.

Reaction Score
I'm stunned by the number of people harping on free throws in a blowout. Not only is it irrelevant, what happens in one game has nothing to do with the next. I thought we learned that last year. Folks were constantly saying free throws would be a factor and it wasn't ever. We're fine shooting free throws. It's lazy commentary.
First game of the season last year we shot 22-31 from the line. The second game we shot an even worse 14-26 (53%).

I'm chalking tonight's FT woes up to first game jitters.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt a energy or buzz around the program that has even the casuals in my office talking about the game last night. Its good to be back. Too many yarders here are digging too much into the box score and final numbers, in reality they mean nothing, they did what they needed to do and took care of bidness. This was an eye test kind of game. Donny was clearly on a minutes restriction so they force fed him early and often so the first half was bit skewed with Cam/Steph passing up some looks to get the ball into the post. Stewart really impressed with his aggression and Karaban seems to have added to his game, which is great as he will likely need to be a primary scoring option for us this year. Samson though.... he just dont got it [yet]. I was not impressed with a couple alley oops that we will rarely see against quality opponents. We already knew he offered athleticism and that's all we saw last night. I would've loved to see him try to make play with his back to the basket against NAU that was way outmatched down low. On D he's a step slow and his timing his off ever so slightly which leads to fouling as it puts him out of position. This is not a knock on him but looking past the box score I didn't see any to his game or anything that left me saying "I didn't know he could do that". Im picking on him more than maybe I should but that only because of the hype that borges and others have put on him.

Reaction Score
I loved what I saw. This team will score. And they have "spurtability" as well, which we had in spades last year. I have two concerns: First, there is no way SJ hangs against better competition. He is talented enough offensively, for sure, but he will have foul trouble all year long. Against quality BE competition? I see him being constantly a step behind, which will cause him to be out of position, and commit silly fouls. Did you all see how easily he was pushed in one sequence, leading up to a foul? And that was a center who would not start for the worst BE team. My second observation is that I was not impressed defensively. I wish we had a bit more beef inside. Still, DH has a lot to work with here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom