North Carolina, UConn, Michigan State, Memphis, Iowa State, Colorado, and Dayton will headline the 2024 Maui Invitational (Rothstein) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

North Carolina, UConn, Michigan State, Memphis, Iowa State, Colorado, and Dayton will headline the 2024 Maui Invitational (Rothstein)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At first I rolled my eyes at this idea, but it's starting to grow on me. Could be a powerful recruiting pitch if the program becomes known to do such things.
It makes it easier for mom and dad to be convinced that it's best for my kid to go 1-3k miles away. :)

Reaction Score
Part of it is mechanism of teams only being able to play these tourneys every so often. When you start working the ouji board of what teams last played when and trying for geographical and conference variety you get stuck in almost a pod system of what teams are available for each tournament each year.
I thought the way it was like 20+ years ago, you were only able to play in one of these big November Tournaments every other year? As time went on, so many of these tournaments came into existence…which is a good thing, and that is why you are allowed to play in a big event every year. I love these tournaments, and just a random thought, It seems like the St Thomas tournament really took a back seat once the Battle for Atlantis became a thing. I cant even recall finding that anywhere on TV in recent years.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Awesome news. Shades of 2011.

I was there in May. A few very early tips to those considering the trip...

Do the Road to Hana. It's a long day if you don't stay a night in Hana but it's worth it. Make sure to book a 2 hrour reservation to the black sand beach (Waiʻānapanapa State Park) and do the Pipiwai Trail on the back side. There's a great self-guided audio tour app that uses GPS called Shaka Tours for ~$10-20.

I ended up doing the full loop and returning on the Pillani Highway. The locals caution against it (mainly because it clogs up their one-lane road with tourist traffic) but it's an incredible sight to see if you can stomach some blind turns and rough terrain. My rental Hyundai Sonata performed a lot better than expected but I'd get an SUV next time.

Haleakala National Park for the sunrise or sunset is also really special.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought the way it was like 20+ years ago, you were only able to play in one of these big November Tournaments every other year? As time went on, so many of these tournaments came into existence…which is a good thing, and that is why you are allowed to play in a big event every year. I love these tournaments, and just a random thought, It seems like the St Thomas tournament really took a back seat once the Battle for Atlantis became a thing. I cant even recall finding that anywhere on TV in recent years.

As did the Anchorage Alaska tournament. You are right regarding teams only being able to play Maui every so many years, then you have Atlantis and a few others. That was my point that once you get in the rotation of the big names tourneys it becomes much more predictable and the chances of you playing similar teams in the different tourneys becomes higher.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At first I rolled my eyes at this idea, but it's starting to grow on me. Could be a powerful recruiting pitch if the program becomes known to do such things.
The women's team is known for doing it and look where it's got them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He might not even be here for it.
Yeah but that doesn’t mean Mama C. won’t be. She strikes me as someone who’s always up for a good party.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Let's get Maui championship #3. We are behind Syracuse and that's unacceptable.

Reaction Score
2016 was a brutal trip. Ollie's coaching decline had just started, Larrier popped his ACL during the first game of the tournament, Gilbert out with shoulder injury, and our only win was against Chaminade. The freshmen seems lost on the court.

As for Maui - trade winds where in place and it was pretty windy and rainy a lot of the week. Still a week in Maui in bad weather is better than pretty much anywhere else in good weather.

Definitely spoiled by the 2005 & 2010 trips. Hope to get back to such glory in 2024 for championship # 3 but the field is pretty loaded.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
As the great Jim Calhoun said at practice after the 2005 Maui Invitational, "You guys are champions of an island".

4>1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32