North Carolina rumor | The Boneyard

North Carolina rumor

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My son is a student at Elon University and is in the pep band there. He has heard that Charlotte Smith, the former UNC player and current Elon women's team coach, is slated to be UNC's next coach. Last season when Elon went to UNC for a game (Elon lost by only 5) it was Charlotte Smith bobblehead night. Sounds like UNC wanted her to feel the love.

Just a rumor, FYI.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I've felt for some time that UNC would gently retire Sylvia from her HC position, possibly moving her into some administrative role if she wants to hang around. Once a national power, UNC has fallen as far as any WBB program in recent memory. While Smith would certainly be an excellent candidate to replace Hatchell, I would be surprised if the UNC AD doesn't also make an inquiry to Storrs about the availability of Shea, given her ties to NC.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I've always thought that once Sylvia got her 1000th win, she would either retire or get another position in UNC's athletic Department. I wonder if Andrew Calder Associate Head Coach who has been with Sylvia fore 32 years will retire.

I also thought, that UNC would hire a new Ass't coach that would take over the program, instead of hiring outside when she relinquished the Head Coaching Position. Sylvia Crawley ( University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site ) has been on staff for five years and has head coaching experience.

Is UNC a program that won't consider hiring a Male Head Coach for their WBB program?

BTW, I do think that women aren't always getting a fair shake when there are openings in high profile programs. Just don't agree that a school should pre-determine that they will only hire a woman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what Sylvia's contract status is?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She's under contract until the 2019/20 Season.

Sylvia Hatchell among UNC coaches receiving new contracts
Ultimately, I suspect the decision to return or not will be up to Hatchell. She may want to go out on a high note, if that’s even possible.

UNC graduates only one senior this season, so you would assume the Tar Heels will be better next year. One of their problems is that the incredible lineup of cupcakes in their OOC schedule makes it far more difficult to compete once the tough ACC conference schedule begins.

Now that Hatchell has limped to 1000 wins, maybe she’ll consider scheduling a few more competitive OOC games, including ones that the Tar Heels might actually lose, in order to better prepare for the ACC.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've felt for some time that UNC would gently retire Sylvia from her HC position, possibly moving her into some administrative role if she wants to hang around. Once a national power, UNC has fallen as far as any WBB program in recent memory. While Smith would certainly be an excellent candidate to replace Hatchell, I would be surprised if the UNC AD doesn't also make an inquiry to Storrs about the availability of Shea, given her ties to NC.
A lot of schools that have major men’s hoops programs give the women’s team coaches much more slack than the men’s team, although that’s changing a bit. Not saying one is a better way than the other, but the schools don’t care as much. Can you imagine Villanova hanging on to Harry Perretta as men’s coach? Ditto the career of Andy Landers. Ditto Sylvia Hatchell and C.Viv. Just a few coaches who had become, it seems, untouchable institutions based either on ancient accomplishments or almost no significant accomplishments.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Smith has been rumored for awhile.

Sylvia crawley was a failure at BC.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In some respects, the Hatchell trajectory is similar to Tennessee-what does an athletic department do with a program that had been great and is only doing ok with a passionate figure who either led the program or helped build it. Can you shepherd them into another role as a segue to the next "life" of the program?

Sylvia's career is directly analogous to Bobby Bowdoin at FSU who wanted to call his own end but finally took the hint. UNC WCBB doesn't make the money nor have the Alumni sway to move a coach out but the demise is evident. The talent seems to be be ok and show potential but does Sylvia know when to take the bow...I am not convinced she does.

The difference to Tennessee is Holly helped build the program but is more of a "never was" as a coach, though she does ok with results-should the results be better given the talent, perhaps but she still wins 20+, gets talent and keeps the program relevant with top 3 attendance.

It's a slippery slope both school administrations need to navigate and one the UConn Men's program is currently navigating. I just hope this does not foreshadow the UConn WCBB program in 5-10 years...

Reaction Score
A lot of schools that have major men’s hoops programs give the women’s team coaches much more slack than the men’s team, although that’s changing a bit. Not saying one is a better way than the other, but the schools don’t care as much. Can you imagine Villanova hanging on to Harry Perretta as men’s coach? Ditto the career of Andy Landers. Ditto Sylvia Hatchell and C.Viv. Just a few coaches who had become, it seems, untouchable institutions based either on ancient accomplishments or almost no significant accomplishments.

UNC alumni and boosters would've been calling for the men's coach Roy Williams to be fired if the last 9 seasons he hadn't won any conference titles , one E8 appearance and 3 S16 appearances and missed the NCAAs 4 times.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
UNC alumni and boosters would've been calling for the men's coach Roy Williams to be fired if the last 9 seasons he hadn't won any conference titles , one E8 appearance and 3 S16 appearances and missed the NCAAs 4 times.
They had too much to hide.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
There was a discussion about various ACC coaches on the "Coaching Carousel" on Saturday(?).
I wrote this bit up on Sylvia Hatchell.

- North Carolina

Sylvia Hatchell is signed through the 2019-20 season, having signed an extension a bit ago with other long-time UNC coaches (women's lacrosse, soccer).
Sylvia Hatchell among UNC coaches receiving new contracts

She's also had injuries to deal with, not to mention a bunch of transfers. Who knows how much of this was tied up in the "UNC" imbroglio, but I also suspect we're running into the tail end of a career. Not a super recruiting year....Who knows how much of this was tied up in the "UNC" imbroglio and/or a combination of all the above, but and she's now got to deal with Duke, an excellent coach in Wes Moore at NC State. And Wake Forest is showing signs. Lastly, Kenny Brooks is recruiting North Carolina hard for Va. Tech. At some point, expect to see some change...Didn't expect it to be as early as this year, but based on this Elon input, you never know.

BTW, here's a link to Hoopgurlz Class Rankings and how NC is doing vis a vis other ACC teams. No ESPN top 100 recruits.
2018 High School Girls' Basketball Recruits - North Carolina - ESPN

Reaction Score
Smith has been rumored for awhile.

Sylvia crawley was a failure at BC.

Huh? Sylvia Crawley coached 4 years at BC and won 20+ games twice. BC hasn't had a winning season since she left in 2012. She also had 2 winning seasons at Ohio University before that. Frankly, I don't know if she wants to be a head coach, but her and Charlotte Smith are close so it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up on the same staff. Marion Jones was on that '94 Carolina team too.

Reaction Score
Huh? Sylvia Crawley coached 4 years at BC and won 20+ games twice. BC hasn't had a winning season since she left in 2012. She also had 2 winning seasons at Ohio University before that. Frankly, I don't know if she wants to be a head coach, but her and Charlotte Smith are close so it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up on the same staff. Marion Jones was on that '94 Carolina team too.

Why did she only coach 4 years?

4 years. 0 ncaas. 2 wnits

She did well her first year with Ingleses players. She did terrible her last year after 3 years of her coaching and recruiting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom