Norlander write-up on Hurley/UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Norlander write-up on Hurley/UConn

Reaction Score
XL is a dump and Gampel is a slightly better dump. Gampel is a sad product of mid/late 1980’s arena architecture - there’s really nothing special about the place other than the fact it gets rowdy when we actually have a good team.

Yeah the 80’s were not a great time for architecture. But, at least we avoided the 90’s trend of designing venues around luxury boxes!

Generally speaking, though, I think it feels very intimate for an arena that sits over 10k and the roof is very interesting and unique; which are adjectives not used that much to describe 80’s architecture.

Gampel definitely needs wider/redone concourses and the seats themselves need to be better.

Reaction Score
Yeah the 80’s were not a great time for architecture. But, at least we avoided the 90’s trend of designing venues around luxury boxes!

Generally speaking, though, I think it feels very intimate for an arena that sits over 10k and the roof is very interesting and unique; which are adjectives not used that much to describe 80’s architecture.

Gampel definitely needs wider/redone concourses and the seats themselves need to be better.
Come on, you don't like sitting on a bench?! Still kills me they spent millions of dollars to build the place but couldn't afford to spend just a little more to put in all seats. Sitting on those metal benches sucks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Come on, you don't like sitting on a bench?! Still kills me they spent millions of dollars to build the place but couldn't afford to spend just a little more to put in all seats. Sitting on those metal benches sucks.
Surprised at the people calling Gampel a dump. I would think they designed Gampel with the benches because it would fit more people. I guarantee if they replaced all the benches with normal seating, the capacity would drop. Allen Field House has benches, I wonder how many Kansas fans complain about them?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one here who manages to buy seats with backs?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Big D energy here
Side-to-side squeeze is one thing, but there is no room front to back. But it's only a problem if you go to games.

Reaction Score
Surprised at the people calling Gampel a dump. I would think they designed Gampel with the benches because it would fit more people. I guarantee if they replaced all the benches with normal seating, the capacity would drop. Allen Field House has benches, I wonder how many Kansas fans complain about them?

Or the drive from KC...

I bet @HawkHusky has some thoughts

Reaction Score
Keep both. Having 2 options Better than one. XL much more accessible from distance to parking to size of venue etc. perfect setup wud be to have 70% of games at gampel and 30% at XL. Everyone wins.

Reaction Score
I agree with both of your takes. I am genuinely curious as to what improvements they're talking about, but at the same time if we're winning we will pack the XL. No doubt in my mind about that.
But the arena is a dump. Embarrassing hosting tournament games there.

Reaction Score
Single seats with backs can be had very cheaply these days

Reaction Score
Keep both. Having 2 options Better than one. XL much more accessible from distance to parking to size of venue etc. perfect setup wud be to have 70% of games at gampel and 30% at XL. Everyone wins.

Play the games at XL during break. That should get you at least one semi decent OOC game and at least one conference game. But that’s it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
You can’t stop playing at the XL. All big games must be there. When the program gets rolling, it’s 100% worth it to get 6,000 more people in the building for obvious reasons.

Villanova seems to think otherwise. Most dominant team in the country the last 4 years, plays longtime rivals...still maxes out at 5 games at the big arena.

UConn plays 9 in Storrs and 9 in Hartford. Thats dumb.

zls44

Reaction Score
Did they stop playing at Wachovia or whatever? Last few times I’ve seen them it was on campus

They became the most successful they've ever been and responded by pouring money into a small on-campus facility and paring back how often they play at a very modern NBA arena in the same city.

UConn, seeing that:

1551397564692.png

Reaction Score
That's my take too. What exactly do people want? A new video ribbon as Norlander suggests? Yup, that's what we need to be back in the Big East!

The issue is the team stinks, has stunk, and is playing programs we don't care about.

The Civic Center isn't the most glamorous arena in the country, but you're going to see a basketball game, not a structure of modern art.
I think Cincy is becoming a decent rivalry.

Reaction Score
They became the most successful they've ever been and responded by pouring money into a small on-campus facility and paring back how often they play at a very modern NBA arena in the same city.

UConn, seeing that:

View attachment 40319

Or take our conference-mates Cincinnati. That city has a couple of large basketball ready arenas.

Surely they lobbied the state to invest in and improve those and not their intimate, though atinquated, on campus arena; right?

And Butler and Indiana split the Pacers arena, I believe. I mean, how could one expect Indiana alum in Indy to get to Bloomington for a 7 o’clock tip; amiright?

zls44

Reaction Score
And Butler and Indiana split the Pacers arena, I believe. I mean, how could one expect Indiana alum in Indy to get to Bloomington for a 7 o’clock tip; amiright?

THE MOON IS CLOSER

Reaction Score
Gampel is an amazing college basketball venue. Great atmosphere, not a bad seat in the house. Could it use some tweaks here and there? Sure. But, the XL Center and Gampel don’t even belong in the same conversation has to which is “better”
Been saying all games at Gampel since it opened. Arizonia was great at XL but I remember premier OOC games at gampel that were louder even though less fans. arizonia 2000, Texas 2010, florida 2013 just to name a few

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom