Norlander write-up on Hurley/UConn | The Boneyard

Norlander write-up on Hurley/UConn

Reaction Score
The Court Report: Wofford Terriers are 24-4, and could be better than Steph Curry’s Elite Eight Davidson team

The thing that helps me is I've done this before," he said. "I haven't done it at a place like this, where you've got the media, the history, the dark cloud of [potential NCAA sanctions], but I'm right where I want to be. I've got my team competing, fighting. Help is on the way."

Fact is, Kevin Ollie did not leave a good situation on the table at UConn. The school will almost certainly miss the NCAA Tournament this season, marking the third straight year the Big Dance will not have the Huskies. Connecticut hasn't gone two years -- let alone three -- without a bid since 1989.

Hurley is facing the toughest construction job of his career, but he's a rebuilder, no doubt. He loves the big fix. If you eliminate his first-season records, Hurley's career coaching mark is 137-60, which amounts to a .695 win percentage. The Huskies are slogging through the back end of a tough AAC schedule. Plus, UConn shooting guard Alterique Gilbert is at about 80 percent of his potential, mostly due to rust, Hurley said. Jalen Adams, who has been the prized talent at the school the past four years, is still out (MCL sprain) and it's not known if he'll make it back by the end of the season.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I don’t get why he thinks UConn needs the XL to be renovated to be at the top of the AAC. The bowels of an arena have nothing to do with the players putting the ball in the hole and getting wins.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I don’t get why he thinks UConn needs the XL to be renovated to be at the top of the AAC. The bowels of an arena have nothing to do with the players putting the ball in the hole and getting wins.

I follow that line of thinking too SbC but you have to factor in the recruiting effect these days I guess.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
I follow that line of thinking too SbC but you have to factor in the recruiting effect these days I guess.
It may be ugly around the arena, but Hartford still gets rowdier than most arenas in the nation. See Sunday, 12K fans, unbelievable atmosphere. The fan base is itching for a winner and will explode when Hurley gets this thing going. So recruits won’t care, from an atmosphere standpoint at least.

Reaction Score
It may be ugly around the arena, but Hartford still gets rowdier than most arenas in the nation. See Sunday, 12K fans, unbelievable atmosphere. The fan base is itching for a winner and will explode when Hurley gets this thing going. So recruits won’t care, from an atmosphere standpoint at least.

You're right, XL doesn't necessarily need to be a palace but even some adjustments would go a long way. I think it was @gwhuskyfan podcast talking to the CRDA about how certain changes to XL would make it more of a revenue generator and make the gameday experience better.

The bigger issue Norlander brings up in the piece is that the team can't practice because of the Hartford Wolfpack. This needs to change going forward, sorry to any Wolfpack fans here but UConn needs priority over minor league hockey or UConn should threaten to walk away.

Reaction Score
You're right, XL doesn't necessarily need to be a palace but even some adjustments would go a long way. I think it was @gwhuskyfan podcast talking to the CRDA about how certain changes to XL would make it more of a revenue generator and make the gameday experience better.

The bigger issue Norlander brings up in the piece is that the team can't practice because of the Hartford Wolfpack. This needs to change going forward, sorry to any Wolfpack fans here but UConn needs priority over minor league hockey or UConn should threaten to walk away.

good one.....funny stuff

Reaction Score
Being an XL season ticket holder for many years now- I can honestly say that zona game had the crowd rocking louder than I’ve heard it in a long time. We shud deff keep Hartford - that place can get fairly rowdy. Plus it’s a large arena which looks good to recruits. Always good to have two options - maybe a couple more games u take from Hartford and put at gampel but XL needs to have at least 5-6 games. 4 conference and one or two OOC.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

As a #casualfan of UConn hockey I get so mad that logo at center ice is the flugging Hartford Wolfpack. There are UConn logos in several other places but it’s just so stupid to have this team playing in the premier collegiate hockey league in the country and it just looks like they are guests in a minor league hockey team’s arena. It just looks so low class.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Still want to see all home games on campus
I can see a few exceptions during winter/xmas break
BuT iTs ToO fAR. Do people think the 17,000 people who show up to every Indiana game live in Bloomington?

Reaction Score

but the Wolfpack is made up of professionals and the players at UConn are amateurs..
sarcasm of course

Reaction Score
it would help recruiting to have a nice modern arena... unless you’re Duke

Reaction Score
The Court Report: Wofford Terriers are 24-4, and could be better than Steph Curry’s Elite Eight Davidson team

The thing that helps me is I've done this before," he said. "I haven't done it at a place like this, where you've got the media, the history, the dark cloud of [potential NCAA sanctions], but I'm right where I want to be. I've got my team competing, fighting. Help is on the way."

Fact is, Kevin Ollie did not leave a good situation on the table at UConn. The school will almost certainly miss the NCAA Tournament this season, marking the third straight year the Big Dance will not have the Huskies. Connecticut hasn't gone two years -- let alone three -- without a bid since 1989.

Hurley is facing the toughest construction job of his career, but he's a rebuilder, no doubt. He loves the big fix. If you eliminate his first-season records, Hurley's career coaching mark is 137-60, which amounts to a .695 win percentage. The Huskies are slogging through the back end of a tough AAC schedule. Plus, UConn shooting guard Alterique Gilbert is at about 80 percent of his potential, mostly due to rust, Hurley said. Jalen Adams, who has been the prized talent at the school the past four years, is still out (MCL sprain) and it's not known if he'll make it back by the end of the season.
Alterique shooting guard? Credibility, zero.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The Wolfpack has been there the entire run where they dominated the Big East and won four National Championships.

The Wolfpack can drown in a toilet but their existance wasn’t an issue before 2015.

Reaction Score
Wofford...sign me up for the 17-18 pre injury version of Trevor Stumpe as a Grad Transfer (shooter).

Reaction Score
The Wolfpack has been there the entire run where they dominated the Big East and won four National Championships.

The Wolfpack can drown in a toilet but their existance wasn’t an issue before 2015.

It wasn't an issue but the program has also been run by Calhoun or the someone who played under Calhoun and accepted the way things are. I'd consider it preferable to have more access to the building.

This isn't the first time we've heard this come up since March. Hurley is challenging the status quo and probably doing it for the better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It wasn't an issue but the program has also been run by Calhoun or the someone who played under Calhoun and accepted the way things are. I'd consider it preferable to have more access to the building.

This isn't the first time we've heard this come up since March. Hurley is challenging the status quo and probably doing it for the better.

yeah we all know its hurley agitating - but its not true and seems like a kinda weak excuse

Reaction Score
Being an XL season ticket holder for many years now- I can honestly say that zona game had the crowd rocking louder than I’ve heard it in a long time. We shud deff keep Hartford - that place can get fairly rowdy. Plus it’s a large arena which looks good to recruits. Always good to have two options - maybe a couple more games u take from Hartford and put at gampel but XL needs to have at least 5-6 games. 4 conference and one or two OOC.

There is nothing about playing off campus in a dump in Hartford that helps with recruits one iota.

Reaction Score

Just curious, what changes in particular would make a huge change?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just curious, what changes in particular would make a huge change?

That's my take too. What exactly do people want? A new video ribbon as Norlander suggests? Yup, that's what we need to be back in the Big East!

The issue is the team stinks, has stunk, and is playing programs we don't care about.

The Civic Center isn't the most glamorous arena in the country, but you're going to see a basketball game, not a structure of modern art.

Reaction Score
That's my take too. What exactly do people want? A new video ribbon as Norlander suggests? Yup, that's what we need to be back in the Big East!

The issue is the team stinks, has stunk, and is playing programs we don't care about.

The Civic Center isn't the most glamorous arena in the country, but you're going to see a basketball game, not a structure of modern art.
I agree with both of your takes. I am genuinely curious as to what improvements they're talking about, but at the same time if we're winning we will pack the XL. No doubt in my mind about that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BuT iTs ToO fAR. Do people think the 17,000 who show up to every Indiana game live in Bloomington?
So your point is fans will drive to college campuses to see games? I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom