NonConference Rivalries | The Boneyard

NonConference Rivalries

Reaction Score
Let’s identify (1) existing Non Conference rivalries (2) exiting conference rivalries that we expect to see convert/survive into non conference rivalries and (1) almost rivals that could be considered rivals with an increase in annual matchups.

Existing Non conference rivalries expected to continue.
Iowa vs Iowa state:
UConn vs SCar
UConn vs Notre Dame
UConn vs Tennessee
Louisville v Kentucky
UGA v GaTech
Florida vs FSU
SCar v Clemson
OTHERS ?

Existing conference rivalries projected to remain rivals after realignment.
Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State
UDub v Wash St
Oregon v OSU
Texas v. Baylor?
Texas vs Texas Tech?
UCF vs USF
UCLA v Cal?
UCLA vs Stanford?
SoCal v Cal?
SoCal v Stanford?
OTHERS?

Developing , almost or potential non conference rivals:
Maryland v SCar ?
SCar vs UNC and or Duke?
OTHERS?

I have focused on P-4/5s being shuffled by realignment but it will be intrrrdting to see what “elevated” schools like Cincy, UCF, Houston, SMU, and BYU do with ex-conference G-5 rivals OTHERS?

Discuss and add or subtract

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Let’s identify (1) existing Non Conference rivalries (2) exiting conference rivalries that we expect to see convert/survive into non conference rivalries and (1) almost rivals that could be considered rivals with an increase in annual matchups.

Iowa vs Iowa state:
UConn vs SCar
UConn vs Notre Dame
UConn vs Tennessee
Louisville v Kentucky
UGA v GaTech
Florida vs FSU
SCar v Clemson
OTHERS ?

UDub v Wash St
Oregon v OSU
Texas v. Baylor?
Texas vs Texas Tech?
UCF vs USF
UCLA v Cal?
UCLA vs Stanford?
SoCal v Cal?
SoCal v Stanford?
OTHERS?

Maryland v SCar ?
SCar vs UNC and or Duke?
OTHERS?
How about renewing?
- ND vs. Purdue. After a six-year hiatus and no regular season-season matchups since 2012, the Irish and Boilermakers have signed up for a home and home series. Purdue leads the series 14-13, but the Irish had won eight straight. Why the rekindling? New(er) coaches? And the fact that two of Purdue's most prominent incoming transfers, the Reynolds sisters, live in South Bend and attended Washington High School, the alma mater of one Skylar Diggins.

Reaction Score
Oops, some border wars. forgot Mizzou v Kansas in all aspects of life.

Indiana v Kentucky in any basketball game.
Louisville vs Indiana ?

Is Louisville bs Indiana played frequently ?Louisville vs Cincy?

Reaction Score
How about renewing?
- ND vs. Purdue. After a six-year hiatus and no regular season-season matchups since 2012, the Irish and Boilermakers have signed up for a home and home series. Purdue leads the series 14-13, but the Irish had won eight straight. Why the rekindling? New(er) coaches? And the fact that two of Purdue's most prominent incoming transfers, the Reynolds sisters, live in South Bend and attended Washington High School, the alma mater of one Skylar Diggins.
Are talks indicating that this will be more than a two year home/and/home renewal?

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
:mad:
Humm. Thinking about "Rivalries" because of this thread.

I remember back in the 60's, not quite a teenager yet, my dad wouldn't go go anywhere near New Albany or Jeffersonville highschools during any basketball or football games because he was concerned about his car being keyed.

Then as I got older, married, children, living in central Indiana we lived for Indiana & Purdue games. If IU won my wife would be in the phone with our Purdue fans saying something like " Na Na He he we beat you"! If Purdue won my wife would be waiting for the call.

I may not know what I'm talking about but I don't think there are any "rivalries" today like there were up through the 90's unless you're over 60 and it's probably mostly in our own heads. I'm thinking as a society we have WAY too much going on in our lives. Way more distractions.

As a UConn fan I'm looking forward to every game and expecting a win. I'm especially interested in the games when our opponent is considered to be a top 5, top 10. Really good players & coaches create the potential for a beautiful & exciting game.

Do I look forward for UConn beating any "Specific" team or coach like I looked forward to Bobby Knight's IU team beating Gene Kead's Purdue team? No, oh Hell no, not even close.

Reaction Score
:mad:
Humm. Thinking about "Rivalries" because of this thread.

I remember back in the 60's, not quite a teenager yet, my dad wouldn't go go anywhere near New Albany or Jeffersonville highschools during any basketball or football games because he was concerned about his car being keyed.

Then as I got older, married, children, living in central Indiana we lived for Indiana & Purdue games. If IU won my wife would be in the phone with our Purdue fans saying something like " Na Na He he we beat you"! If Purdue won my wife would be waiting for the call.

I may not know what I'm talking about but I don't think there are any "rivalries" today like there were up through the 90's unless you're over 60 and it's probably mostly in our own heads. I'm thinking as a society we have WAY too much going on in our lives. Way more distractions.

As a UConn fan I'm looking forward to every game and expecting a win. I'm especially interested in the games when our opponent is considered to be a top 5, top 10. Really good players & coaches create the potential for a beautiful & exciting game.

Do I look forward for UConn beating any "Specific" team or coach like I looked forward to Bobby Knight's IU team beating Gene Kead's Purdue team? No, oh Hell no, not even close.
Well, we Southernors are slow to evolve.

I can assure you that rivalries like Duke v UNC, Clemson v SCar, Alabama v Auburn, etc etc are alive and well.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Are talks indicating that this will be more than a two year home/and/home renewal?
Hard to say. Imagine that they'll see how the games are played, attended, etc.
ND-UConn renews for a few years at a time, so that would be a model.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score

I can assure you that rivalries like Duke v UNC, Clemson v SCar, Alabama v Auburn, etc etc are alive and well.
:)
I hear ya. Believe me I hear you.

However, I think big rivalries, are dying out. As we older fans are dying out. Even for our deep Southern friends. :rolleyes:

My nephews wife's family have ended up not speaking. I think it's over Auburn & Alabama football. But again, these people are in their 60's and up. My nephew and his wife are mostly sad about the angst created in the family by elder crazy fans.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

You best believe it buddy. The Hell with a Tarheel... And i mean it with every fiber of my being. :mad:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Texas v. Baylor?
Texas vs Texas Tech?

UCF vs USF
UCLA v Cal?
UCLA vs Stanford?
SoCal v Cal?
SoCal v Stanford?
OTHERS?

Maryland v SCar ?
SCar vs UNC and or Duke?
OTHERS?

I have focused on P-4/5s being shuffled by realignment but it will be intrrrdting to see what “elevated” schools like Cincy, UCF, Houston, SMU, and BYU do with ex-conference G-5 rivals OTHERS?

There is some bad blood between Gerlich and Schaefer. I don't expect Texas and Tech to play (unless Gerlich gets fired).

Texas could play Baylor, but perhaps not right away. Texas has only played A&M three times since the Aggies left for the SEC. So, Baylor might not want to play Texas for leaving the Big 12.

I do think Texas will want to play TCU in order to play a game every so often in the DFW area. But, we could always play a neutral site game there at American Airlines Center like we did this past season against USC.

Reaction Score
How do you define rivals? In my mind South Carolina and Connecticut are not rivals. They've had competitive games with high stakes and play annually, but I don't count that as rivalry material. To be a rival there has to be bad blood between the fans, and while I think Geno's comments from this prior season have soured the relationship in a way that may evolve into a rivalry, I still do not think there is enough history to be quite at that level yet (like UConn/Tenn).

Reaction Score
How do you define rivals? In my mind South Carolina and Connecticut are not rivals. They've had competitive games with high stakes and play annually, but I don't count that as rivalry material. To be a rival there has to be bad blood between the fans, and while I think Geno's comments from this prior season have soured the relationship in a way that may evolve into a rivalry, I still do not think there is enough history to be quite at that level yet (like UConn/Tenn).
Bad blood is not a requirement, it is frequent but not a requirement,

Reaction Score
67F54D88-DE7D-4F7F-B4F6-91975FB5EE74.jpeg

Reaction Score
I have an account but never use it. So you caught me lol. Is it pretty bad?

After the loss to South Carolina I remember a bunch of UConn fans who never post in the general forum coming over here and implying that South Carolina is a bunch of bullies who do not play basketball the way it is meant to be played. I can't imagine what that conversation looked like on Twitter.

Reaction Score

Iowa vs Iowa state:
UConn vs SCar
UConn vs Notre Dame
UConn vs Tennessee
Louisville v Kentucky
UGA v GaTech
Florida vs FSU
SCar v Clemson
OTHERS ?

UDub v Wash St
Oregon v OSU
Texas v. Baylor?
Texas vs Texas Tech?
UCF vs USF
UCLA v Cal?
UCLA vs Stanford?
SoCal v Cal?
SoCal v Stanford?
OTHERS?

Maryland v SCar ?
SCar vs UNC and or Duke?
OTHERS?

I think that a fair number of the Pac-12 schools will be scheduling each other on a fairly regular basis. I could see some Pac-12 "classic" weekends where a pair of schools travels to a corresponding pair for two games (four, in total). SC/UCLA to Cal/Stanford, for example.

Reaction Score
I have an account but never use it. So you caught me lol. Is it pretty bad?

After the loss to South Carolina I remember a bunch of UConn fans who never post in the general forum coming over here and implying that South Carolina is a bunch of bullies who do not play basketball the way it is meant to be played. I can't imagine what that conversation looked like on Twitter.
Our lunatic fringe loves some twitter. Dawn acknowledges that our fanbase can be a bit "crass," and that's certainly not untrue on twitter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom