Non-UConn Injury Reports | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Injury Reports

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe I just wasn't paying as much attention in previous years, but it seems like there have been an inordinate number of these preseason "sad injury news" items this year.

Reaction Score
Maybe I just wasn't paying as much attention in previous years, but it seems like there have been an inordinate number of these preseason "sad injury news" items this year.

maybe so and also some of the better players are getting injured too.........

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

My sentiments exactly. Assuming that there is some truth to that, the logical next question is why.

Unfortunately, answering that question is way above my pay grade. Actually, most questions are.

But if it is not coincidence or just a string of bad luck, you have to ask whether playing year round can be a factor, and whether the marvelous skills developed at such young ages and honed through such intense focus come at a price.

There is something to be said for having a true off season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My sentiments exactly. Assuming that there is some truth to that, the logical next question is why.
Unfortunately, answering that question is way above my pay grade. Actually, most questions are.
But if it is not coincidence or just a string of bad luck, you have to ask whether playing year round can be a factor, and whether the marvelous skills developed at such young ages and honed through such intense focus come at a price.
There is something to be said for having a true off season.
At this level (High Division I ) there is really no off season and little down time therefore no time to heal.
Kids are expected to be on Campus usually for 1 of the two summer sessions. For many UCONN kids there is USA basketball in the summer and even the few weeks that kids get to stay home there is s regimented summer worked out program and a conditioning test to pass upon return to campus.
Don't know if this is still the case but at Rutgers a few years ago players were not issued practice gear until they passed a position based conditioning test. It used to be that a player could work their way into shape during the few practices of the new season, now players are expected to be in shape on the first day of practice.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Actually, a "pleasant" injury report here: Katherine (Kat) Westbeld, who was having a hard time overcoming lingering pain following her spring ankle surgery, was supposedly not ready for the Irish's first game on Saturday...and perhaps then some. While watching the game, I noted her in sweats at the end of the bench and thought she had gotten dressed to be in the moment of the season starting and/or the ceremony to honor Kayla McBride.

Surprise. She was declared good to go on Friday and MM got her in the game for 10 minutes. Kat was a bit rusty but hit one of her patented foul-line jumpers, and actually played point guard the last four or so minutes (With Mychal Johnson's injury, ND is seriously short on guards.)

Kat will have to round into form, but it's great to see her back, with her leadership skills, calm under pressure and glue-like talents and tendencies. MM will allegedly use the pre-season to mix and match skills for the ACC schedule. My gut: the Irish play better when Kat's in the lineup so it will be interesting to see the permutations of the lineup to accomplish that.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

There seems to be a dark "Lil' Abner"-like cloud over some of the guards involved in the Nebraska Connie Yori forced resignation. Mi'Cole Cayton, if you may recall, was one of Yori's prized incoming recruits. I remember reading an ESPNw profile on her and she seemed to embrace the kind of tough coaching that Yori was known for. After Yori lost her position, Cayton was allowed to reopen her college search and ended up in California, with Lindsay Gottlieb as her coach and I thought it was a pretty good place for her to rebound. Cayton had started and had a good first game against St. Mary's. I believe Cal's next game is against UConn.

Earlier this season, Natalie Romeo -- the shooting guard who was on Yori's team that last season -- suffered a season-ending injury, which is/will greatly impact the Washington Huskies this season.

Will knock on more than few pieces of wood to hope this streak does not head up to the University of Iowa, where the other prize guard recruit -- Kathleen Doyle, a Chicago Tribune Player of the Year in Illinois her senior year -- ended up going after she, too, was allowed to reopen her search. Doyle, thus far, has started both of Iowa's games in their 2-0 start.

Here's hoping Cayton and Romeo heal and rehabilitate well and come back strong next year and that Doyle stays injury-free in Iowa City.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Will knock on more than few pieces of wood to hope this streak does not head up to the University of Iowa, where the other prize guard recruit -- Kathleen Doyle, a Chicago Tribune Player of the Year in Illinois her senior year -- ended up going after she, too, was allowed to reopen her search. Doyle, thus far, has started both of Iowa's games in their 2-0 start.

Here's hoping Cayton and Romeo heal and rehabilitate well and come back strong next year and that Doyle stays injury-free in Iowa City.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Doyle suffered a high ankle sprain near the end of Iowa's OT win over Western Kentucky:

Iowa women's basketball wins Hawkeye Challenge, but loses Kathleen Doyle to injury

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom