Non-UConn Coaches Who did the Most with the Least | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Coaches Who did the Most with the Least

Reaction Score
Over the years, which coaches maximized their team's potential and expectations, even with less than stellar rosters some or much of the time?

To name a few, I think of Beilein while at West Virginia, Carlesimo at Seton Hall, Pitino with many of his coaching stints, including times of suspensions and quitting of players, .

Reaction Score
I'm always impressed with how Matt Painter retools each year.

After Carsen Edwards (24.3 ppg) graduated, I thought 19/20 would have been a rebuilding season for Purdue, but they finished 24th overall in KenPom.

After freshmen Eric Hunter, Sasha Stefanovic and Trevion Williams combined for 9.8 ppg as freshmen, they combined for 32.2 ppg as sophomores and all three are primed to start as juniors.

What were their 247 ranks out of high school? 150 (Hunter), 154 (Williams), 374 (Stefanovic).

The guy just knows how to coach and develop players.

Reaction Score
All the answers here are spot on. I'll throw in Bennett too as much as I hate the pack line

Reaction Score
Bobby Knight
When he was at Army
Jim Calhoun at Northeastern
Pete Carrell at Princeton
Wooden with his first NC team
Rick Pitino at PC
Dr Davis at BC

Reaction Score
Can’t agree on Mark Few anymore. If anything should do more with a lot of talent. I know I keep waiting for him to do so once the dance starts and they continuously fall short.

I like the Painter props. And Dr Tom at both BC and Iowa.

Reaction Score
Just curious.Why the hate on the pack ? Tony can take 5 boneyarders and hold you under 60.

Short answer? It's boring.

Long answer? I teach a lot of elements of the pack, actually. My players are coached to play a step off and up the line as a base defense like you'll see in the packline. And I am willing to let them take risks gambling for steals. (We'll adjust to a denial or a lock left/right defense on star players). I also am pretty strict about maintaining really intense ball pressure like Bennet does. The main difference is that I just CANNOT get on board with a defense that forces guards to the middle of the floor--that's exactly where they want to be making plays. Teams get toasted if you let a guard get to the middle of the floor below the FT line.

So I don't run a "textbook" pack, but maybe 5050 traditional man-to-man and 50% pack. The last 2 years I've started teaching my teams to ice everything. In the past I like taking away a players dominant hand every chance we got, but I think it was too much for the kids to remember. Now we only do that for the other teams' star player.

My opinion on pack would likely be different if CT had a shot clock. It doesn't make much sense to run a defense that isn't focused on generating turnovers if you have no shot clock. When you want to beat better teams you need to generate turnovers and get high % looks.

I am convinced that in the next 5 years packline D will become less and less effective. Kids are growing up emulating shooters like Steph, Trae, and Dame in the park. And good shooters is, of course, the kryptonite of the pack.

But yeah. It's mostly because it's boring haha.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Chris Beard at TTU has done a great job with not the most talent, and now he's starting to get top rated players. It's gotta be difficult to convince top athletes to come play in Lubbock, TX though.

Reaction Score
Chris Beard at TTU has done a great job with not the most talent, and now he's starting to get top rated players. It's gotta be difficult to convince top athletes to come play in Lubbock, TX though.
Great pick.

Texas Tech has been one of my favorite teams to watch for the last few years. Jarrett Culver was the #312 ranked commit and was the the 6th overall pick after two years with Beard. Zhaire Smith was the #194 ranked commit and was the 16th pick in the draft after just one year.

I'd like to shout out Virginia Tech's Mike Young.

I think it's real cool that he took the Virginia Tech job after years of grinding at Wofford. I expected the Hokies to be awful last season, but they finished the year .500 overall and 7-13 in the ACC.

They played almost all of their minutes without a player taller than 6'7. Five of their six leading scorers were freshmen and of those freshman just Nolley and Cone were recruits within 247's top-275 of their respective classes. Their 2nd leading scorer, Tyrese Radford, was a freshman who entered the year as a freakin' walk-on.

For 20/21, even though Nolley is gone, this team is deeper and has much more size. They have two top-100 freshmen coming in and have four transfers coming in led by Cartier Diarra. Since I dislike most of the ACC teams, Virginia Tech would be a fun team to catch in 20/21 and steal some games.

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Short answer? It's boring.

Long answer? I teach a lot of elements of the pack, actually. My players are coached to play a step off and up the line as a base defense like you'll see in the packline. And I am willing to let them take risks gambling for steals. (We'll adjust to a denial or a lock left/right defense on star players). I also am pretty strict about maintaining really intense ball pressure like Bennet does. The main difference is that I just CANNOT get on board with a defense that forces guards to the middle of the floor--that's exactly where they want to be making plays. Teams get toasted if you let a guard get to the middle of the floor below the FT line.

So I don't run a "textbook" pack, but maybe 5050 traditional man-to-man and 50% pack. The last 2 years I've started teaching my teams to ice everything. In the past I like taking away a players dominant hand every chance we got, but I think it was too much for the kids to remember. Now we only do that for the other teams' star player.

My opinion on pack would likely be different if CT had a shot clock. It doesn't make much sense to run a defense that isn't focused on generating turnovers if you have no shot clock. When you want to beat better teams you need to generate turnovers and get high % looks.

I am convinced that in the next 5 years packline D will become less and less effective. Kids are growing up emulating shooters like Steph, Trae, and Dame in the park. And good shooters is, of course, the kryptonite of the pack.

But yeah. It's mostly because it's boring haha.

CT HS has no shot clock? Good lord. I still can’t grasp that concept.

I know PA didn’t a couple years back but I forgot if they’ve since changed.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Can’t agree on Mark Few anymore. If anything should do more with a lot of talent. I know I keep waiting for him to do so once the dance starts and they continuously fall short.

I like the Painter props. And Dr Tom at both BC and Iowa.

Few has had some talent, but much of it is either undervalued or developed by him. Check out @HooperScooper post about Few’s recruiting rankings at Gonzaga - it actually surprised me.

Reaction Score
CT HS has no shot clock? Good lord. I still can’t grasp that concept.

I know PA didn’t a couple years back but I forgot if they’ve since changed.

It is dreadful.

My team practices running out clock all the time. At least 2x a week. It is vitally important with no clock. I've seen teams run it for 8+ minutes quite a few times

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It is dreadful.

My team practices running out clock all the time. At least 2x a week. It is vitally important with no clock. I've seen teams run it for 8+ minutes quite a few times

In the year 2020, what could possibly be the argument for that? I don’t even understand.

Reaction Score
It is dreadful.

Is the CIAC still run by Karissa Niehoff?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom