Non-Key Tweets | Page 762 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Why would anyone take Kansas over UConn? I don't get it.
Basketball 'blue blood' (whatever that means)
AAU
Sensible geography

Reaction Score
The B1G could have added Kansas at any time. I'll eat the shoe of the guy who threw his at George Bush if this goes through.

The B1G wasn't going to unilaterally poach KU from the BXII at some point in the past 10 years. The movement of OU/TX has caused this discussion.

Let’s deal w reality here. There are no more TX and OU that bring that kind of football and brand and historical power (aside from ND). The SEC pulled the two biggest // most vulnerable fish. Props to them. It also makes sense geographically. They fit right into the landscape of the SEC. what the hell, the B1G was supposed to compete with that too?? TX & OU make all the sense in the world for the SEC footprint. Good for them.

So then, what does the B1G do?? The ACC is locked in their GOR thru 2036 and owned by ESPN. Ok. I do believe the two schools the B1G would want more than any other would be UNC and UVA (and maybe Duke), but they aren’t really available. They aren’t adding IAST, OKST, or WVU.

The PAC is way the hell out west. Ok. I don’t think the B1G wants to rip the best 6 from the PAC, and create this disconnected monstrosity that will change the entire identity of two conferences just bc the SEC added two contiguous schools. And I don’t know if they PAC wants to decimate themselves for the B1G. I don’t buy into the idea that all college football and its connection to these 100+ year old conferences is going to go away and 32 schools will be in their own CFB ultra conference. I don’t think that’s going to happen. It will rip the heart out of CFB.

So, what’s left? KU is obviously the best of what’s left from the BXII. Adding the basketball to the already stout B1G is appealing, along w other “requirements” they meet. Face it, KU basketball is a bigger deal in that part of the country than UConn is in professional sports saturated NYC 6th Burrough land. It just is. KU basketball is a religion on the plains. If you don't understand the history of KU bball RE "Blueblood", go read their Wiki page. The paragraph under "History" will enlighten you. I figured UConn fans would know this, but in case you don't.

Plus, if the B1G long game is to add UVA and UNC (and possibly Duke) whom have all said they want no part of the SEC, then another (((blueblood))) basketball would be appealing to them. So, there you go.

Adding Notre Dame is the only play that can compete w TX and OU. That’s it - and as we all know that isn’t likely. So, KU is the best of what’s available. Of course they aren’t a football power, but oh well. They are obviously not being added to compete w TX/OU football. In a perfect world, KU + ND would be a nice response to OU/TX & ending to the B1G expansion, but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.

The B1G still has the biggest populations, alumni bases, endowments, plenty of 80-100K football stadiums, fanbases, history, etc. Its not like PSU, NEB, MSU, MICH, PUR, tOSU, IA, WISCO, etc etc have gone anywhere. 14 giant historical universities throughout the super populated north. The fundamentals are sound. We still gonna put plenty of butts in the seats and eyeballs on the TV games. And the B1G has been the #1 conference in basketball attendance for like 45 years.

I don’t see how the value of, or thought process of KU > B1G is even debatable, let alone not understandable. It’s that or do nothing and let them go to the PAC or wherever. I don’t think they pass up on KU. /blog

edit; And I do think the PAC and BXII should merge. That's the play. The B1G takes KU and best of the rest team up with the PAC (+ TT, BAY, IAST, OKST for example).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The B1G wasn't going to unilaterally poach KU from the BXII at some point in the past 10 years. The movement of OU/TX has caused this discussion.

Let’s deal w reality here. There are no more TX and OU that bring that kind of football and brand and historical power (aside from ND). The SEC pulled the two biggest // most vulnerable fish. Props to them. It also makes sense geographically. They fit right into the landscape of the SEC. what the hell, the B1G was supposed to compete with that too?? TX & OU make all the sense in the world for the SEC footprint. Good for them.

So then, what does the B1G do?? The ACC is locked in their GOR thru 2036 and owned by ESPN. Ok. I do believe the two schools the B1G would want more than any other would be UNC and UVA (and maybe Duke), but they aren’t really available. They aren’t adding IAST, OKST, or WVU.

The PAC is way the hell out west. Ok. I don’t think the B1G wants to rip the best 6 from the PAC, and create this disconnected monstrosity that will change the entire identity of two conferences just bc the SEC added two contiguous schools. And I don’t know if they PAC wants to decimate themselves for the B1G. I don’t buy into the idea that all college football and its connection to these 100+ year old conferences is going to go away and 32 schools will be in their own CFB ultra conference. I don’t think that’s going to happen. It will rip the heart out of CFB.

So, what’s left? KU is obviously the best of what’s left from the BXII. Adding the basketball to the already stout B1G is appealing, along w other “requirements” they meet. Face it, KU basketball is a bigger deal in that part of the country than UConn is in professional sports saturated NYC 6th Burrough land. It just is. KU basketball is a religion on the plains. If you don't understand the history of KU bball RE "Blueblood", go read their Wiki page. The paragraph under "History" will enlighten you. I figured UConn fans would know this, but in case you don't.

Plus, if the B1G long game is to add UVA and UNC (and possibly Duke) whom have all said they want no part of the SEC, then another (((blueblood))) basketball would be appealing to them. So, there you go.

Adding Notre Dame is the only play that can compete w TX and OU. That’s it - and as we all know that isn’t likely. So, KU is the best of what’s available. Of course they aren’t a football power, but oh well. They are obviously not being added to compete w TX/OU football. In a perfect world, KU + ND would be a nice response to OU/TX & ending to the B1G expansion, but unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.

The B1G still has the biggest populations, alumni bases, endowments, plenty of 80-100K football stadiums, fanbases, history, etc. Its not like PSU, NEB, MSU, MICH, PUR, tOSU, IA, WISCO, etc etc have gone anywhere. 14 giant historical universities throughout the super populated north. The fundamentals are sound. We still gonna put plenty of butts in the seats and eyeballs on the TV games. And the B1G has been the #1 conference in basketball attendance for like 45 years.

I don’t see how the value of, or thought process of KU > B1G is even debatable, let alone not understandable. It’s that or do nothing and let them go to the PAC or wherever. I don’t think they pass up on KU. /blog

edit; And I do think the PAC and BXII should merge. That's the play. The B1G takes KU and best of the rest team up with the PAC.
Why does the B1G need to weaken its financial package to respond to the SEC? It makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Why does the B1G need to weaken its financial package to respond to the SEC? It makes no sense.

Well, it's like I said, they can do nothing but I don't think they will.

"Kansas has a shot ONLY because it is a truly uniquely valuable basketball program. I know that football drives the bus in realignment (and that's something that I've emphasized even 11 years ago, too), but KU basketball does have a unique value proposition in a way that I think only applies to Duke, UNC and Kentucky. The Big Ten can monetize basketball value with the BTN in a way that other conferences aren't able to do."

Reaction Score
Why even bother with football at this point? In the last 20 years the top team was from the $EC other than that one random Ohio State championship a decade ago, and the ones from Florida State and Texas in the early 2000s.

Reaction Score
Why even bother with football at this point? In the last 20 years the top team was from the $EC other than that one random Ohio State championship a decade ago, and the ones from Florida State and Texas in the early 2000s.
Well there you go. If football kingship is a lost cause to the SEC, esp w the additions of OU/TX, might as well beef up your hoops w KU.

I'd be happy to take a B1G side of UConn as well. I've always said that. I'm an IN kid // hoops school guy. B1G #1 in hoops, #2 in FBall. Not bad.

Reaction Score
Well there you go. If football kingship is a lost cause to the SEC, esp w the additions of OU/TX, might as well beef up your hoops w KU.

I'd be happy to take a B1G side of UConn as well. I've always said that. I'm an IN kid // hoops school guy. B1G #1 in hoops, #2 in FBall. Not bad.
If the point is to grab the best basketball school on the table, it's UConn not Kansas. In the last decade UConn has 2 men's titles and 4 women's titles. How many for Kansas?

Reaction Score
That's correct. The Big 10 receives an average of about $440 million from Fox and ESPN. The league receives another $100 million or so per year from the Big 10 Network. That's about an average of $38.6 million per year per team on this current contract.

The networks would have to estimate that Kansas' broadcast rights are worth $39 million per year just to break even. I'm very skeptical.

Reaction Score
SEC is certainly dominant, but there are more than you said. Clemson (2016 and 2018), Oklahoma (2000), USC (2003, 2004), Miami (2001), two Ohio State not one (2014 and 2002).

That said, I do think they should stop bothering. Make a super conference for football only and regional for the rest of the sports including basketball. The only schools that wouldn't like that are the parasites benefiting from being in a conference they don't do anything for in football.

Reaction Score
SEC is certainly dominant, but there are more than you said. Clemson (2016 and 2018), Oklahoma (2000), USC (2003, 2004), Miami (2001), two Ohio State not one (2014 and 2002).

That said, I do think they should stop bothering. Make a super conference for football only and regional for the rest of the sports including basketball. The only schools that wouldn't like that are the parasites benefiting from being in a conference they don't do anything for in football.
Yeah I forgot about Clemson, but the trend is your friend, and the writing has been on the wall for the past 15-ish years. $EC is going to be NFL lite with the addition of Texas and Oklahoma, and they are going to just buy the best players coming out of high school with all of that money which will keep them on top for quite a while.

CL82

Reaction Score

edit; And I do think the PAC and BXII should merge. That's the play. The B1G takes KU and best of the rest team up with the PAC (+ TT, BAY, IAST, OKST for example).
The question isn't is KU available, it is, and always has been. The question is whether KU brings enough value to justify a full share of B1G media rights. If it didn't have that value anytime in the last 10 years, why would now? OU and Texas leaving Kansas at the curb like yesterday's trash doesn't seem to make it anymore valuable.

Reaction Score
The question isn't is KU available, it is, and always has been. The question is whether KU brings enough value to justify a full share of B1G media rights. If it didn't have that value anytime in the last 10 years, why would now? OU and Texas leaving Kansas at the curb like yesterday's trash doesn't seem to make it anymore valuable.
There are reports circulating that the B12 minus UT & OK is worth half what it currently receives and that there are no B12 schools worth adding to the PAC in it's current configuration.

Yet, we're supposed to believe that Kansas is the school that will move the needle for the B1G?

IF, the B1G decides to expand it will not be with Kansas. Kansas has been the bitch of UT & OK for years. Now that those 2 are leaving Kansas all of a sudden grows muscles?

Reaction Score
And the ones from Clemson

Reaction Score
The question isn't is KU available, it is, and always has been.
No it hasn't - it's always been a part of the BXII.

Like I said, the B1G wasn't going to unilaterally strike for KU, but in the wake of OU/TX leaving > the decimation of the BXII, I think it's very possible that the B1G adds KU and then bides it's time until the next move(s). KU could be the first on the way to 18, or 20. Having a contiguous/AAU/blueblood hoops program in your pocket is a pretty good start.

It's all speculation!

CL82

Reaction Score
No it hasn't - it's always been a part of the BXII.

Like I said, the B1G wasn't going to unilaterally strike for KU, but in the wake of OU/TX leaving > the decimation of the BXII, I think it's very possible that the B1G adds KU and then bides it's time until the next move(s). KU could be the first on the way to 18, or 20. Having a contiguous/AAU/blueblood hoops program in your pocket is a pretty good start.

It's all speculation!
KU has been in the big 12, as it continues to be, but if the B1G wanted them KU would have left in a heartbeat. The Big Ten didn’t want KU because they lack sufficient value. Nothing has really changed.

Reaction Score
KU has been in the big 12, as it continues to be, but if the B1G wanted them KU would have left in a heartbeat. The Big Ten didn’t want KU because they lack sufficient value. Nothing has really changed.
Today agree - no conference wants to add another mouth to feed and having to take a pay cut to do it. Unless, the added school is a significantly strategic addition. Kansas is not that. Neither is UConn at the moment unfortunately. Time marches on.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The SEC would certainly trade South Carolina for Clemson
but adding Clemson with South Carolina doesn’t seem like an SEC move . The only states with two teams will be Texas and Tennessee. Vanderbilt was always an odd fit., but they‘re legacy and would never be considered for addition today,nor would they be dumped.
They just told Texas A&M to take a walk if they didn’t want Texas.
so South Carolina wasn’t the issue .
I think the B1G screwed up Big Time in not adding Texas
I realize Okla is repugnant to the Powers in that conference
but Texas plus Kansas would have been great for Nebraska, and Iowa. Apparently they lack leadership at the moment.

Am I missing something with Alabama and Auburn?
Ole Miss and Miss St?

Reaction Score
Why would the Big 10 or PAC 12 add a school at this time? The way consumers view content is rapidly changing and how we value the media value of schools is changing. Would the Big 10 have added Rutgers in today’s cable cord cutting world?

Texas and Oklahoma were no brainer adds for the SEC. Any school that is available now will be available in 5 to 10 years so why add more schools not named Notre Dame to a conference?

Reaction Score
BIG can offer partial share and make it viable.

Just thinking out loud. Can leagues offer base payout and include incentive laden payouts targeting football performance? Based on in-league wins, league championships, etc? Much like the NCAA bball approach.

Reaction Score
There are reports circulating that the B12 minus UT & OK is worth half what it currently receives and that there are no B12 schools worth adding to the PAC in it's current configuration.

Yet, we're supposed to believe that Kansas is the school that will move the needle for the B1G?

IF, the B1G decides to expand it will not be with Kansas. Kansas has been the bitch of UT & OK for years. Now that those 2 are leaving Kansas all of a sudden grows muscles?
B1G has a huge perception of being a weak sister to the SEC in football right now. It was a weak sister already and now it's even weaker. Adding Kansas indeed reinforces the idea that B1G football is really weak, relatively.

It would be the exact opposite of what the B1G should be trying to do right now, which is to add USC and UCLA.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, the SEC had a unique opportunity to expand and grow its brand without diluting the product. There are no options readily available for the other conferences to do the same

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom