Non-Key Tweets | Page 683 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Have we heard anything about BYU and Cincy presenting? The fact that they haven't makes me very nervous...

There's an article at the Cincy Enquirer website by their sports guy re: Tubberville's comments from his presser yesterday. He was quoted as saying he thought b12 had already made their decisions. Interesting comment. Obviously not of the credibility of Dud or Mh, but possibly a clue re: your post.

Reaction Score
That interview was due to politics most likely, not because SMU was a legitimate candidate.
Except the SMU beat writer in the link wrote that "sources" indicate the SMU interview didn't happen though they were prepared to do so.

Reaction Score
There's an article at the Cincy Enquirer website by their sports guy re: Tubberville's comments from his presser yesterday. He was quoted as saying he thought b12 had already made their decisions. Interesting comment. Obviously not of the credibility of Dud or Mh, but possibly a clue re: your post.

Maybe those two were picked as 11 and 12, and the interviews were for 13 and 14?

Reaction Score

Wasn't that a response to a question about the importance of the game vs Houston in relation to Conf. Realign? Body of work, yada, yada, yada...

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
Big 12 down to BYU, UH, UC, UCF & CSU.

Let me say this...I hope I'm wrong. I hope UCONN is on the list. I don't personally want to believe they are out.

I've come to care about all these programs and none more than UCONN or UCF. UCONN's fans are first class. The best.

With UCONN it appears it came down to not having a donor willing to step in and fill the gap to fund football to bring it up to B12 levels.

BYU has the church. UC has Kroger. UH had Fertita. UCONN lacked the one donor willing to step up. Or so I'm told.

Then look into his and Dooley's convo resulting from this for more stupidity

If a donor is the #1 priority for the XII, then why was Memphis dropped?

Excluding Texas and Oklahoma, which are at a different level, UConn does not need a donor to get to XII football level. UConn's practice faculties are top notch. The football stadium is new and holds 40,000 and expandable to 50K, which is similar to UCF (45,000), Cincy (40,000), Colorado St (41,000), Huston (40,000). I did not include USF as they use a NFL stadium. BYU holds 63,000. In the current XII, SMU is at 45K, Kansas, K State and Balyor are around 50,000, OK St, WVU, Iowa St & Texas Tech are all around 60K, OU is at 84K and Texas is a small city at 100K.

TV potential, football product, overall facilities, basketball, academics, etc. should be important variable, a donor should not be.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that it was fairly well reported that Cincinnati was going in the day after Uconn for their presentation.

Reaction Score
Except the SMU beat writer in the link wrote that "sources" indicate the SMU interview didn't happen though they were prepared to do so.

Which proves my point exactly. SMU was put on the list as a courtesy to Texas politics, not because they were really a legitimate candidate. The Big 12 didn't' need to see a presentation as they were not under serious consideration and the conference is already very aware of what they bring to the table. Similar story for Rice.

Reaction Score
Have we heard anything about BYU and Cincy presenting? The fact that they haven't makes me very nervous...
I'm pretty sure that it was fairly well reported that Cincinnati was going in the day after Uconn for their presentation.

Yup - this was posted on Saturday at least "confirming Cincy went on Friday: AP Source: Dungy part of USF pitch to Big 12 as meeting wrap. BYU is more nebulous.

>>The Big 12 concluded a week of meetings Friday in North Texas with the 11 schools vying to join the conference. USF, Cincinnati and Rice made the final presentations, according to three people with knowledge of the meetings who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.<<

Reaction Score
Which proves my point exactly. SMU was put on the list as a courtesy to Texas politics, not because they were really a legitimate candidate. The Big 12 didn't' need to see a presentation as they were not under serious consideration and the conference is already very aware of what they bring to the table. Similar story for Rice.

That's not what you said though: "That interview was due to politics most likely".

Not a similar story for Rice - they had an interview confirmed by AP - SMU didn't.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that a response to a question about the importance of the game vs Houston in relation to Conf. Realign? Body of work, yada, yada, yada...

Yes, but it's a rare comment from someone close to the situation that indicated any decisions at all had been made. That coupled with Cincy's new found silence make me wonder. I had heard back in early August that some invites were already out there. That comment is consistent with someone knowing something.

Reaction Score
Yes, but it's a rare comment from someone close to the situation that indicated any decisions at all had been made. That coupled with Cincy's new found silence make me wonder. I had heard back in early August that some invites were already out there. That comment is consistent with someone knowing something.

>>Tuberville was asked Tuesday about the wider implications of UC-Houston, with both schools hoping to join the Big 12 Conference. “I don’t think that has anything to do with it,” Tuberville said. “I would imagine all those decisions are already made. It’s your body of work.”<<

Guess interpretation depends on what color glasses you are looking through.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Let me say this...I hope I'm wrong. I hope UCONN is on the list. I don't personally want to believe they are out.

I've come to care about all these programs and none more than UCONN or UCF. UCONN's fans are first class. The best.

With UCONN it appears it came down to not having a donor willing to step in and fill the gap to fund football to bring it up to B12 levels.

BYU has the church. UC has Kroger. UH had Fertita. UCONN lacked the one donor willing to step up. Or so I'm told.

Nope. Nope nope nope. You don't get to crap on us and what we bring FOR YEARS and then try to s our ds afterwards. He can walk right out of his moms basement and in to a semi.

Reaction Score
Nope. Nope nope nope. You don't get to crap on us and what we bring FOR YEARS and then try to s our ds afterwards. He can walk right out of his moms basement and in to a semi.

Semi? I was thinking it'd be something more like this:
x5e1kz.jpg

Reaction Score
If a donor is the #1 priority for the XII, then why was Memphis dropped?

Excluding Texas and Oklahoma, which are at a different level, UConn does not need a donor to get to XII football level. UConn's practice faculties are top notch. The football stadium is new and holds 40,000 and expandable to 50K, which is similar to UCF (45,000), Cincy (40,000), Colorado St (41,000), Huston (40,000). I did not include USF as they use a NFL stadium. BYU holds 63,000. In the current XII, SMU is at 45K, Kansas, K State and Balyor are around 50,000, OK St, WVU, Iowa St & Texas Tech are all around 60K, OU is at 84K and Texas is a small city at 100K.

TV potential, football product, overall facilities, basketball, academics, etc. should be important variable, a donor should not be.

I think you meant TCU not SMU

To your question, Academics. Boren isn't going to go for a school like Memphis, neither are other presidents.

Donors are what make small programs compete with the big boys. Baylor is a perfect example as they have a donor bigger than T-Boone or Phil Knight who has put them on the map.
McLane pledges large donation to Baylor for on-campus football stadium
Private donations to Baylor enough to cover all scholarship costs for first time | Statesman U

Go look at schools like Oregon and donations range from 10 million per year to 124 million. Oklahoma State ranges from 18 million to 211 million per season the last decade. Even schools like Tech and ISU brought in over 20 million last year in AD donations. Compare that to the 6 million UConn received last season and you can see where a big donor would be nice to have. It's honestly really surprising that UConn doesn't' have more big donors considering the wealth in the state and the success of the AD. Time for those tightwads to open up the wallet a bit.

Reaction Score
Go look at schools like Oregon and donations range from 10 million per year to 124 million. Oklahoma State ranges from 18 million to 211 million per season the last decade. Even schools like Tech and ISU brought in over 20 million last year in AD donations. Compare that to the 6 million UConn received last season and you can see where a big donor would be nice to have. It's honestly really surprising that UConn doesn't' have more big donors considering the wealth in the state and the success of the AD. Time for those tightwads to open up the wallet a bit.

Fair point; but, most of those schools have not been competing for donor money with schools like Yale and Wesleyan in thier back yard for the last 200 years. That has always been a challenge for UConn and for most state schools in the Northeast - UMass v MIT/Harvard/Tufts/BU/Williams, Rutgers v. Princeton, the SUNY's versus each other plus Cornell & Colombia, URI v. Brown, etc.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fair point; but, most of those schools have not been competing for donor money with schools like Yale and Wesleyan in thier back yard for the last 200 years. That has always been a challenge for UConn and for most state schools in the Northeast - UMass v MIT/Harvard/Tufts/BU/Williams, Rutgers v. Princeton, the SUNY's versus each other plus Cornell & Colombia, URI v. Brown, etc.

For a long time, this was also an impediment to investment by the state as well. Why create a true flagship state university when the private sector had already given us several. If you add in surrounding states that are less than a couple of hours from most CT residents, it's a staggering array of options not available anywhere else really.

Most of the state universities in New England still struggle with that. UConn is unique in the degree of funding and attention it has received among public universities in the region.

Reaction Score

My bad. I was looking at Mh3ver

Reaction Score
That's not what you said though: "That interview was due to politics most likely".

Not a similar story for Rice - they had an interview confirmed by AP - SMU didn't.

LOL. I get what you are doing. You are arguing about tweets which said which schools got "the interview" and which ones were "left out". I don't have any idea if that stuff is true so I won't speculate on which schools got a rose this time. I have no idea if SMU rally got a final interview or not but I'm sure they were interviewed or had discussion with Big 12 officials at some point in this process. Some schools seem to be more open than others but that may or may not be an indication of what's actually happening behind the scenes.

What I do believe is both SMU and Rice were on the expansion lists and made it past the first cut due to politics and likely academics to some degree which seemed to be what the first round cut was about. I'm sure there were lots of favors called in from SMU/Rice boosters to thier Big 12 buddies. This gives those buddies a chance to say we tried but couldn't make it happen but lets still be friends because I tried to scratch your back but those darn ISU/KSU/ETC idiots couldn't be convinced. . Likely the same thing happened with Houston but Houston is the only Texas school with a legitimate chance of getting in the Big 12 so their situation is different. Just how things get done in TX.

Reaction Score

I think you may be mixing academic donations with athletic donations. I'm talking money that is donated to the AD, not the academic side of the school. That's a whole different ballgame and I'm sure people are not donating that much money to athletics at the schools you mentioned. I think what you are seeing is the difference in people who value elite academics versus people who value W's on the sports page during football season. Let's be real, that's why these guys donate so much money to athletics.

It's really interesting looking at donations. They seem to be very regional. Hard to imagine that lowly K State more than doubles donations at 22 million (and bigger AD budget with less subsidy)from somewhere like CU at 10 million who had an elite FB program not that long ago. Most of the PAC struggles with donations which is why they require so much subsidy to operate thier AD's.

Reaction Score

Blather/Rinse/Repeat

Reaction Score
I think you may be mixing academic donations with athletic donations. I'm talking money that is donated to the AD, not the academic side of the school. That's a whole different ballgame and I'm sure people are not donating that much money to athletics at the schools you mentioned. I think what you are seeing is the difference in people who value elite academics versus people who value W's on the sports page during football season. Let's be real, that's why these guys donate s Coo much money to athletics.

It's really interesting looking at donations. They seem to be very regional. Hard to imagine that lowly K State more than doubles donations at 22 million (and bigger AD budget with less subsidy) from somewhere like CU at 10 million who had an elite FB program not that long ago. Most of the PAC struggles with donations which is why they require so much subsidy to operate thier AD's.

Agree on the Left Coast, which is odd considering the heritage in place with UCLA, USC, and Stanford. Down south, people generously give to their religious institutions, which is the local church and State U football. As for Connecticut, remember, Yale was THE college sport program in the state through the 1950's. Then there was a gap until UConn hoops hit in the late 80's and early 90's before football went big time around 2000. That's a lot of lost time that UConn has to make-up for.

Reaction Score
Agree on the Left Coast, which is odd considering the heritage in place with UCLA, USC, and Stanford. Down south, people generously give to their religious institutions, which is the local church and State U football. As for Connecticut, remember, Yale was THE college sport program in the state through the 1950's. Then there was a gap until UConn hoops hit in the late 80's and early 90's before football went big time around 2000. That's a lot of lost time that UConn has to make-up for.

You nailed it. UConn is trying to do something that has never been done before. Take a 20 year old FBS football program to a P-5 conference.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You nailed it. UConn is trying to do something that has never been done before. Take a 20 year old FBS football program to a P-5 conference.

That's only because there is now an arbitrary destinction between P5 and what BCS leagues were. There is precedent because a three-year-old-FBS-UConn once entered a BCS league.

Reaction Score
For a long time, this was also an impediment to investment by the state as well. Why create a true flagship state university when the private sector had already given us several. If you add in surrounding states that are less than a couple of hours from most CT residents, it's a staggering array of options not available anywhere else really.

Most of the state universities in New England still struggle with that. UConn is unique in the degree of funding and attention it has received among public universities in the region.

Very true, in the region covered by the 9 original Colonial colleges, the only state school to start separate from them and has been successful academically has been Penn St (up against U Penn and to a lesser degree U Pitt, which has history back to 1787). Even Rutgers, which started out as one of the 9, Queen's College, has struggled to get out of Princeton's shadow. UVA is also exceptional; but, its competition, William & Mary, became a statue university after the Civil War. Looking forward, UConn at this time looks to be the only state university in that footprint to have the ability to permanently make that jump.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom