Reaction Score

Check out some of the comments on UConn from the Flyover Country blog:

Mike
says:
July 29, 2015 at 2:28 pm
UConn still is a great option for the BIG

• Marc Shepherd says:
    July 29, 2015 at 2:41 pm
    UConn still is a great option for the BIG.

UConn satisfies practically none of the B1G’s known criteria. They don’t deliver a major sports market. They do not reside in an important recruiting territory. They don’t have a great football program. They don’t have a great stadium (by B1G standards). They aren’t contiguous to the current B1G footprint. They aren’t in the AAU. Even the ACC rejected them.

UConn does have a great basketball program…but Kansas has a better one. On top of that, Kansas is in the AAU and provides a geographic bridge to Oklahoma. If the B1G wants what UConn has to offer, they might as well add Kansas, which is equal or better in practically every dimension.

• Mike R says:
      July 29, 2015 at 3:19 pm
      Agree with all of this. As far as the ACC goes, my understanding is that BC has been the roadblock for UConn. UConn’s all-around sports program lines up more neatly with the ACC (strong basketball and soccer programs for both genders) than almost any other school you could think of. Football is not great, though.

• Marc Shepherd says:
      July 29, 2015 at 3:56 pm
      As far as the ACC goes, my understanding is that BC has been the roadblock for UConn.

That could be, but if the ACC really wanted UConn, do you think BC all by itself could stand in the way?

• Matthew Smith says:
      July 29, 2015 at 3:21 pm
      Yeah but you forgot that they have great seafood. So there.

• b1ea11fcf4e77a42b5bfa1d44e14a9fb
      vp19 says:
      July 29, 2015 at 3:30 pm
      You can see why my ACC buddies want nothing to do with Connecticut, its nouveau riche fan base or its former ambulance-chasing attorney general turned U.S. senator. Let the evil empire of women’s basketball wither on the vine in the AAC.

Liked by 1 person

• http://i1./graph.facebook.com/v2.2/1683393806/picture?q=type%3Dlarge&resize=40%2C40 David Stroud says:
      July 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm
      U.Conn is ahead on the academic ratings than OU. So, that arguement is out the window. They are even higher than Nebraska. Now, we need to remember that basketball is not the real money maker in making moves. I see no reason for any conferences to add Kansas since they bring no value to football. North Dakota State has a much better football product than Kansas. Kansas is just as bad as U.Conn in football.

Reaction Score
This Houston crap is such non-sense. What do they offer the Big Twelve? The Houston market and literally nothing else? I'm pretty sure that's null as Texas has that market on lock and Houston is 5th (if they're lucky) in their own city behind UT, Baylor, A&M and TCU. It's like the AAC adding UHart for the Hartford market.

Reaction Score
This Houston crap is such non-sense. What do they offer the Big Twelve? The Houston market and literally nothing else? I'm pretty sure that's null as Texas has that market on lock and Houston is 5th (if they're lucky) in their own city behind UT, Baylor, A&M and TCU. It's like the AAC adding UHart for the Hartford market.

The one reason that U Houston is a serious candidate is politics, specifically Texas politics. Adding U Houston would not dilute the state of Texas's power within the XII and would beholden U Houston to U Texas during state budget season. If the Texas 'block' does succeed in adding Houston, the XII is a dead man walking as it will only be a matter of time before Oklahoma and Kansas bolt for more favorable pastures.

Reaction Score
The one reason that U Houston is a serious candidate is politics, specifically Texas politics. Adding U Houston would not dilute the state of Texas's power within the XII and would beholden U Houston to U Texas during state budget season. If the Texas 'block' does succeed in adding Houston, the XII is a dead man walking as it will only be a matter of time before Oklahoma and Kansas bolt for more favorable pastures.
A school with red uniforms that brings nothing to the table getting into a P5 because of what state its in...where have I heard this tune before.

Reaction Score
FrankTheTank is not so much a UConn hater as he is anachronistic

I fear that as far as the B1G is concerned that his overly romanticized view is common.
He is still mulling the the PSU add.
Overcoming that bias is the not an easy task for UConn supporters In an out of the B1G
Having a winning football team gives our allies ammunition to overcome that affliction.
We're like a perspective bridegroom pusuing the girl of our dreams.
We have to constantly be at our best.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
I'm glad to see the insane rumor about Fox moving OU out of the big 12 has died. What a stupid rumor.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 16m16 minutes ago
New from me about the Big 12 and Big 12 expansion:
http://dudesdispatches.blogspot.com/2015/07/spooky-action-at-distance.html

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 17m17 minutes ago
Before the critics hit me hard let me say I wrote that just now and it's not been edited. Live with it.

Reaction Score
Flug calling out the Dude on twitter right now...
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 4m4 minutes ago
Sorry folks. But when a guy is zero for life on his info questions my credibility..especially when the doofus knows who my contacts are...
  1. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 17m17 minutes ago
    @Expansion_Crush @flugempire Greg isn't remotely credible. I'm not wasting my time replying to his fantasies.

0 retweets0 favorites

2. https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/478193056034717696/1CDsHcYJ_bigger.jpegGreg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 6m6 minutes ago
    @theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush And you question my credibility? Really? How is the old FSU to B12 doing?
    1. https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/478193056034717696/1CDsHcYJ_bigger.jpegGreg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 9m9 minutes ago

@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush That is why I came onto Twitter... You could not relay simple messages.
    2. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 10m10 minutes ago
      @theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush The only decent info you ever got was from me until you stopped relaying the correct info and pissed contacts.
    1. Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 20m20 minutes ago
      @Expansion_Crush @flugempire Greg isn't remotely credible. I'm not wasting my time replying to his fantasies.

0 retweets0 favorites

2. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 12m12 minutes ago
      @theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush The truth of the matter is...and our timelines is the evidence...I have buried your ass.

Reaction Score
These two really need their own reality TV show.

For the official record, I side with Flugs (for now) because he's more pro-UConn.
there is a LOT more...I just got tired of copying and pasting them...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 2h2 hours ago
I'm glad to see the insane rumor about Fox moving OU out of the big 12 has died. What a stupid rumor.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 16m16 minutes ago
New from me about the Big 12 and Big 12 expansion:
http://dudesdispatches.blogspot.com/2015/07/spooky-action-at-distance.html

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 17m17 minutes ago
Before the critics hit me hard let me say I wrote that just now and it's not been edited. Live with it.

Does the Dude see the irony of berating the world about the sanctity of the Big 12's GOR only 4 days after he said the Big 12 would approach FSU about joining?

Reaction Score
Does the Dude see the irony of berating the world about the sanctity of the Big 12's GOR only 4 days after he said the Big 12 would approach FSU about joining?

He's convinced the ACC doesn't have a "real" Grant of Rights agreement in place because he swears it's dependent only on having the ACC Network in place.

Reaction Score
He's convinced the ACC doesn't have a "real" Grant of Rights agreement in place because he swears it's dependent only on having the ACC Network in place.
He also refuses to acknowledge that if schools bail out of the B-12 that WVU is in big trouble. Kyle I have a question for you since you are a pretty level headed CR guy...if the teams that have been mentioned bail on the B-12 would the remaining teams merge with the AAC..or would the B-12 dissolve?

Reaction Score
He also refuses to acknowledge that if schools bail out of the B-12 that WVU is in big trouble. Kyle I have a question for you since you are a pretty level headed CR guy...if the teams that have been mentioned bail on the B-12 would the remaining teams merge with the AAC..or would the B-12 dissolve?

I believe the league can dissolve with 75 percent of members agreeing. So if 3-4 teams bail, the rest would probably just vote to dissolve and then go their separate ways... wherever that leads them.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If the big 12 lost teams 7 teams or less, AAC teams and possibly MWC teams and BYU would rise up.

Remember the Big East was down to only 3 football schools and added the rest. As long as not enough teams leave to disolve, it will still exist. Already has media rights deal and P5 autonomy designation, kind of like the big east retained BCS status in its final limp dick year.

Reaction Score
I believe the league can dissolve with 75 percent of members agreeing. So if 3-4 teams bail, the rest would probably just vote to dissolve and then go their separate ways... wherever that leads them.
adding the schools I have seen that would be left (TT, TCU, Baylor, ISU, KSU, WVU) would fill the geographical gaps pretty nicely in the AAC and make for a pretty good league.

Reaction Score
adding the schools I have seen that would be left (TT, TCU, Baylor, ISU, KSU, WVU) would fill the geographical gaps pretty nicely in the AAC and make for a pretty good league.

I agree, although I think West Virginia will wind up in the SEC when all is said and done. I also think there's a chance those schools sit tight and instead add from the AAC rather than the other way around.

Reaction Score
I agree, although I think West Virginia will wind up in the SEC when all is said and done. I also think there's a chance those schools sit tight and instead add from the AAC rather than the other way around.

Just my two cents; but, my gut is the ACC because even if the ACC holds together, I have a feeling that the B1G will figure out a way to pry one of the VA schools loose and WVU would be natural backfill - a decent football program near PA & OH recruiting areas with existing rivals with Pitt and to a lesser degree Louisville & Syracuse.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Just my two cents; but, my gut is the ACC because even if the ACC holds together, I have a feeling that the B1G will figure out a way to pry one of the VA schools loose and WVU would be natural backfill - a decent football program near PA & OH recruiting areas with existing rivals with Pitt and to a lesser degree Louisville & Syracuse.
WVU didn't get in the ACC because of academics, UConn is the natural backfill. Then again, they broke precedent with Louisville, so.... ugh.

Reaction Score

I could see that too.

If, in fact, the Big Ten strikes with Oklahoma/Kansas, that would probably leave Oklahoma State & West Virginia to the SEC. Texas would then be choosing between Big Ten or ACC. UConn could end up in a package to either league along with UT.

Edit: actually I don't think UConn as a package with Texas would work to the ACC, because if Texas joined that league, it's likely due to Notre Dame joining as a full member. So UConn's going to the ACC would likely only be if there is further expansion beyond those two or if Texas elects to join the Big Ten, leaving the ACC to expand to some sort of package of UConn/Cincinnati/etc.

Reaction Score
your honest opinion...where does UCONN end up? My heart hopes for the B1G...my gut tells me the ACC.

Reaction Score
your honest opinion...where does UCONN end up? My heart hopes for the B1G...my gut tells me the ACC.

I still think they value another East coast presence. I do believe there's something to the Oklahoma/Kansas rumors, but they have no intention of stopping at 16 just for the sake of stopping at 16. If they get OU/KU, it would open up a Texas addition. I truly can see Texas & UConn rounding out the Big Ten at 18. Texas will either go to the ACC with Notre Dame becoming a full member or they'll join the Big Ten. In that scenario, I really would expect UConn being the other addition.

Not to say they wouldn't love Virginia and/or UNC, but it seems easier to pick off the Big 12 right now and let the ACC stay as the fourth major league.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom