Non-Key Tweets | Page 64 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
According to the Dude of WV, Big 5 Autonomy Ends Expansion.

For the Big 12 it means no expansion. The conference is dead-set against expanding if the additions do not add to the television pot.
I think that’s a huge mistake on the Big 12’s part but you can’t argue with their logic. Right now there isn’t an expansion candidate available that can satisfy the plethora of metrics necessary to justify expansion.
A few are close. A few are tantalizing close and only need a track-record of success and few more points in the college football “Q score” to be worthy of inclusion.
Recently a Big 12 official told me that the conference was prepared to offer BYU and the UCF Knights membership in the conference if they were forced to meet the NCAA’s minimum number of members (12) for a championship game.
He told me that Bowlsby believed the details with BYU could be worked out and that UCF was by far the next best candidate available.
That won’t happen now – at least for a while. The trick for BYU and UCF will be in finding the money to compete with schools from the Big 5 for recruits and visibility.
It’s not hard to see BYU keeping pace. The Cougars have a contract with ESPN and their independent status will make them an attractive option for scheduling.

UCF will likely need it's alumni and fans to make up the difference to keep the Knight's program moving forward.

I'm told the Knights will be vetted again in 2020 and if the Knights can continue their success and push themselves over the top in terms of measurable they may just get their ticket punched into the Big 12 when the new television deal is due.

http://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/2014/04/big-5-autonomy-ends-expansion.html

If remotely true, this would also likely sign the death certificate for WVU itself. I just can't see how they survive 500 miles from their nearest league rival for more than a few years even with the extra money. I would think the potential of WVU seeing this end and then suing to break the XII GOR may entice Texas & co. to add a partner from WVU to protect their arses unless Texas's plans for the XII are very short term.

Reaction Score
You know what's worse than something that might become another AAC?

The AAC.

Realistically, the Big Ten is not going to happen. Our best case is that the Big 12 or ACC feel pressure to expand to get a lookin on their contract in the face of the stronger/richer B10 and SEC.

We're really f---ed in the AAC but the ACC will be kinda f---ed too.

IMO it is every bit as likely that The B1G adds 1-2 teams before their 2017 contract negotiations than the Big 12-2 convinces UT to accept 4 more subjects into their kingdom. While I'm a big fan of BYU's Football History and UCONN's overall athletic success over the last 20 years, I'm not sure that adding the pair to UC and UCF does much for The Big 12-2. They do not have a mechanism to monetize markets like the B1G does, so they would be left trying to squeeze 30 mil+ per team out of ESPN/FOX for 14 teams as opposed to 10. A championship game would add some to the pot, but nowhere near enough to make financial sense.

Reaction Score
UCF is going to be a hard add for anyone. It's like bringing in some CUSA. Louisville overcame it so maybe there is hope, and they are a huge school in Central Florida, but...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMO it is every bit as likely that The B1G adds 1-2 teams before their 2017 contract negotiations than the Big 12-2 convinces UT to accept 4 more subjects into their kingdom. While I'm a big fan of BYU's Football History and UCONN's overall athletic success over the last 20 years, I'm not sure that adding the pair to UC and UCF does much for The Big 12-2. They do not have a mechanism to monetize markets like the B1G does, so they would be left trying to squeeze 30 mil+ per team out of ESPN/FOX for 14 teams as opposed to 10. A championship game would add some to the pot, but nowhere near enough to make financial sense.
The Big 12 would be nightmare for us. WVU would have it easy by comparison. It's a bad fit for the conference and for us. That said, if asked to join, I don't know how we could say no.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It might help if yup invited someone. Just saying

Well the dudofwv was tweeting that it was going to only be Dan's invited. HFD, UConnDan, UConnDan97 - but that made no sense because they can't televise a beer pong title game with only 3 members.

Yoda in his infinate Texas wisdom was assuming the invites were the Baylor poster from the women's board, the Lagow family and Butch was going to come and represent UTSA.

In the end because Fishy is an AAC guy to the bone - so he threw an AAC party. He invited anyone and everyone but it turns out no one wanted to be there (except Memphis, but they can't read maps and don't trust those talkin' 'puters that tell you what to do)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well the dudofwv was tweeting that it was going to only be Dan's invited. HFD, UConnDan, UConnDan97 - but that made no sense because they can't televise a beer pong title game with only 3 members.

Yoda in his infinate Texas wisdom was assuming the invites were the Baylor poster from the women's board, the Lagow family and Butch was going to come and represent UTSA.

In the end because Fishy is an AAC guy to the bone - so he threw an AAC party. He invited anyone and everyone but it turns out no one wanted to be there (except Memphis, but they can't read maps and don't trust those talkin' 'puters that tell you what to do)

I heard there were a bunch of guys from the Navy that were having a "wait and see" attitude before heading to the party. I'm still on the phone trying to convince them to "come with"...

pj

Reaction Score
I heard there were a bunch of guys from the Navy that were having a "wait and sea" attitude before heading to the party. I'm still on the phone trying to convince them to "come with"...

We'll soon be out to sea with them, unless ... maybe ... they can bring an Army with them and we can invade the P5.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm told the Knights will be vetted again in 2020 ...

I can't be the only one that found this to be funny. It sums up the ridiculousness of the entire thread. Which I hope continues for another 1,500 post at least.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We'll soon be out to sea with them, unless ... maybe ... they can bring an Army with them and we can invade the P5.

That's at least better in a fight than bringing some Minutemen... ;)

Reaction Score
MH3‏@MH3 7h
Heard a great rumor this morning. Players at all 3 of the power5 Florida schools are working to organize a players union in that state

MH3‏@MH3 7h
Also worth noting is that the effort is spearheaded by a former large donor of the U

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd‏@dennisdoddcbs 5h
Steering committee in restructuring will release ALL comment at end of current 60-day comment period. Huge.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd‏@dennisdoddcbs 5h
Steering committee in restructuring will release ALL comment at end of current 60-day comment period. Huge.
??? Not sure I get the entire context of this tweet.

Reaction Score
I don't like the 65 P5 presidents meeting on their own. That is more opportunity for them to close the circle and keep everyone else out

All comments will be available in 60 days.

Reaction Score
All comments will be available in 60 days.

The article says that the 65 P5 presidents will meet annually. I am willing to bet they will not be releasing the minutes of these meetings to the public. This will become an annual meeting where they will discuss how to further screw the G5 & others out of more money

Reaction Score
Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 6h
MWC Commish Craig Thompson said he believes individual institutions should be able to choose which athlete benefits they can afford

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 6h
MWC Commish Craig Thompson fears a loosening of transfer rules could lead to starters leaving for immediate eligibility at Power 5 programs

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 6h
Big Ten Commish Jim Delany says the list of autonomy items "is modest. We want more."

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 6h
Big Ten Commish Jim Delany said threats of unionizing, lawsuits, etc. can help NCAA foster change by "using momentum someone else brings."

Joe Schad‏@schadjoe 4h
American Commish Mike Aresco said his conference supports full cost of attendance; he's not sure if opt outs would be available

These would fall under the "Key Tweet" category.

Jim Delany can take his ball and go pound sand.

These guys think they control everything. They don't. The only thing they control is Emmert's salary. Call their bluff.

Reaction Score
These would fall under the "Key Tweet" category.

Jim Delany can take his ball and go pound sand.

These guys think they control everything. They don't. The only thing they control is Emmert's salary. Call their bluff.
OK. I moved it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It doesn't get more "Non Key" that HFD, so here you go.

Dream B1G or Go Home ‏@B1GConn
so the regular season means everything, win the division and get in. LOVE IT

so espn is basically letting it be known we are shaping CF to a power 4 leagues of 16-20 each and each division gets a playoff bid

lets the madness begin. the acc, b1g, sec and pac have 9 or 10 or 11 slots available depending on how byu and nd are attached to the power 4

Reaction Score
MH3‏@MH3 6h
Oklahoma AD has called for the first meeting of the B12 expansion committee in almost a year.That's all I know for now-update as I get more

Brad Weiss‏@UConnPittDad 6h
@MH3 UConn?

MH3‏@MH3 6h
@UConnPittDad lets hope I love UConn

MH3‏@MH3 6h
I think what a lot of people are missing here is that the goal of the SEC and B10 is to get 2 play-off slots per year.

MH3‏@MH3 6h
how many does that leave everybody else? It's a numbers race

MH3‏@MH3 1h
couple of things I was told: OK AD wants to "start from scratch" in identifying available options, and there is a alot of uncertainty(1/2)

MH3‏@MH3 1h
(2/2) regarding whom is in favor/not in favor of a CCG at 10 teams. Possible football only partners?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL at the Big 10 getting two spots.

Ohio State and an all star team from the other 13 programs?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
LOL at the Big 10 getting two spots.

Ohio State and an all star team from the other 13 programs?

In a conference that has Penn State, Michigan and Nebraska, I'm thinking their present day malaise will not last forever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom