Non-Key Tweets | Page 639 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Can't W work his contacts in Austin to move UConn's appeal to UT? I mean jesus your family's fortune was established in CT.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Post by the so-called Cincy insider, MSMoose:

2 hours ago

To expedite the resolution of expansion candidates for the Big 12, Oklahoma proposed voting blocks, consisting of (4) blocks of any number of member institutions. This would ensure member interests could best be accommodated without extended debate per candidate. These voting blocks in Oklahoma’s eyes and Commissioner Bowlsby’s ensured a fair process.

The blocks were developed in open discussion when considering member institutions top preliminary expansion choices.

This process is what I referred to yesterday as the Oklahoma Compromise!

The voting blocks were as follows, with their top candidates in order;

Block 1 – Texas Tech\Texas\Baylor
Candidates = BYU-UH-UC-UCF\USF
Block 2 – Iowa State\Kansas\Oklahoma
Candidates = UC-BYU-UCONN-CSU-Memphis-UCF\USF
Block 3 – Kansas State\Oklahoma State
Candidates = Memphis-CSU-UC-UCONN
Block 4 – West Virginia\TCU
Candidates = UC-UCF\USF-Memphis-UCONN

Note, the members within blocks have changed as the process has unfolded, however I believe the above to be most accurate as of this morning.

In fact, the Big 12 Board has sent a contingent of Big 12 Commissioners, etc., to specific candidates. These visits were at times followed by visits from voting blocks of Presidents, and others from Big 12 institutions. All information has been shared with all Big 12 members. A very open process, however very thorough as well. The visits have wrapped up now, and the Big 12 is in deliberations, so to speak.

• 2 hours ago

• Before I have to leave for a meeting, I want to mention the Big 12 negotiations with its television providers.

The negotiations are very complicated, those who make light of them simply have no clue how the negotiations work.

First, renegotiation has to happen, as expansion adds more volume, which affects scheduling windows. Divisions affect scheduling and 1st and 2nd rights. A CCG has to be negotiated, etc. and so on. Point is renegotiation would occur, even if expansion didn't occur. However, expansion is occurring and that complicates renegotiations. While the media portrays these renegotiations as volatile, they are in most cases not. Conferences and television partners talks weekly, and for the most part work together very well.

ESPN obviously wants to protect its properties so to speak, and does not feel G5 candidates are worthy of Big 12 Pro Rata monies. Fox Sports feels differently. So this is the starting point for a resolution that is agreeable by all. While Pro Rata is part of the Big 12 contract, the Big 12 is not necessarily toeing the line on it, they are willing to work with the television partners on compromises. Negotiations have been going very well, I was told, and as stated to me the framework for a new deal is far enough along that final agreements with candidates will or have begun already.

Texas wants an extension of the GOR until 2031, concurrent with the expiration of its agreement with ESPN for the LHN. Texas wants to ensure expansion is solidifies the conference, yet also protects it from realignment at the termination of the current Big 12 contract. Oklahoma and others agree, however they want concessions from Texas on the LHN. Texas has worked with the conference on concessions, however has hit so roadblocks with ESPN. Work remains in progress on this front.
From another poster:

o with that in mind, as of this morning, the schools listed with each candidate is as follows:

Cincinnati: 10 (All ten schools)

UCF/USF: 8 (Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor, West Virginia, TCU, Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma)

Memphis: 7 (Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas St., Oklahoma St.)

UConn: 7 (Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, Kansas St., Oklahoma St., West Virginia, TCU)

BYU: 6 (Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor, Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma)

CSU: 5 (Iowa St., Kansas, Oklahoma, Kansas St., Oklahoma St.)

Houston: 3 (Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor)

First, no message board poster is going to have that level of detail.
Second, while we might see UCF and USF as interchangeable, no one who paid for an analysis of these schools would. If the FL market is a desirable outcome, they will have one picked out. The representation above is not implying taking both, unless taking 5 is an option. It isn't.
Third, If UT and OU agree on a school, they are in and this exercise is unnecessary. They would be focusing on the 14th school as accoring to Mr Moose here, BYU, Cincy and whatever UCF/USF means would be in.
Lastly because I think we're done with this, it shows OU in favor of Memphis (and every school that isn't Houston). Highly suspect.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
No real news to speak of but Dave O'Brien and Rich Cappola talking all things UConn a few minutes ago on the Sox broadcast was pretty fun to hear! Love me some good pub!
Yup,

Reaction Score
First, no message board poster is going to have that level of detail.
Second, while we might see UCF and USF as interchangeable, no one who paid for an analysis of these schools would. If the FL market is a desirable outcome, they will have one picked out. The representation above is not implying taking both, unless taking 5 is an option. It isn't.
Third, If UT and OU agree on a school, they are in and this exercise is unnecessary. They would be focusing on the 14th school as accoring to Mr Moose here, BYU, Cincy and whatever UCF/USF means would be in.
Lastly because I think we're done with this, it shows OU in favor of Memphis (and every school that isn't Houston). Highly suspect.

Really, really good thought process you had. I totally agree with your analysis.

Reaction Score
Not a key tweet but NESN had Rich Copolla in the booth for an inning and they talked a bit about UConn to the Big 12. No news really, but nice to see us getting some play in Boston

Someone needs to post that video all over the Internet.
UConn doesn't move the needle in Boston? They interrupt a Red Sox/ Yankee game at Fenway Park for UConn Big 12 talk!

Reaction Score
Someone needs to post that video all over the Internet.
UConn doesn't move the needle in Boston? They interrupt a Red Sox/ Yankee game at Fenway Park for UConn Big 12 talk!
Dave O'Brien did a great job of leading Rich through it - Obie certainly knows Big12 hoops and how they'd love UConn.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Not a key tweet but NESN had Rich Copolla in the booth for an inning and they talked a bit about UConn to the Big 12. No news really, but nice to see us getting some play in Boston
They spoke to him pre-game as well and the reporter specifically asked him about realignment. He mention Cavanaugh, Hockey East & Frozen Fenway as well as throwing in sound bites about Yale and Quinnipiac hockey. Talked up Springer and Barnes and the posters/murals of them on campus and even mentioned Springer hitting that dinger (see what I did there) against Barnes. All in all he did a great job representin'.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I would love to be a fly on the wall to witness the process for coming up with the crap that some of these "insiders" post. Does someone give them a little nugget and their creative writing skills kick in for the other 90% of BS or do they just get messed up and start making stuff up and other stoners pile on or what? What makes someone post crap that is probably 95% made up? Do they think it will influence the outcome?
I don't know... if he were still around you could ask HFD.

Reaction Score
C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox 13h13 hours ago
Big 12 candidate UCF Negatives: Just started playing football in 1979. Has gone 9-16 the past 2 seasons. MBB has gone 25-36 last 2 seasons.

Ken Kueker ‏@BBConnectionOrl 8h8 hours ago
@C_Austin_Cox Oops...you forgot the previous year where we won 12 games, including the BCS Fiesta Bowl against Baylor!

C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox 8h8 hours ago
UCF's collapse following the Fiesta Bowl is a reason some are skeptical about UH. An epic collapse to 0-12 in '15.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 8h8 hours ago
@C_Austin_Cox Wow! LOL. Considering many in the Big 12 don't want UH because of too much upside it might help UH to tank the season.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 7h7 hours ago
@C_Austin_Cox But the decision will be made before the 2016 season is finished. So nice logic on that line of reasoning.

@C_Austin_Cox But wait... are you arguing that one abysmal season is catastrophic? Memphis has what 16 winning seasons in 40 years?

@C_Austin_Cox If BYU is out it's UCF that's taking their place.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 7h7 hours ago
A great read from @ChuckCarltonDMN -->
Even if Big 12 were to expand to 14 teams, BYU's LGBT views could keep them out; Source: 'It is a serious issue' | SportsDay

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 5h5 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN @SportsDayDFW looking like an instant money grab now. OU/UT/KU/WV are free agents in 2025. Priceless.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Matt Barnes has been really good for the Sox. If kimbrell continues to suck I could see him closing.

Kimbrell is still hurt and they rushed him back. But Barnes is making a case for Koji's set up man role, and that's huge for him and the Sox. Koji is like 42 years old, so he can't last much longer.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
How would another candidate mean more money to them? The TV money adjustment is a fixed number, no?

Yes. TV money is a fixed number. But for UT, having a campus in Houston + equal TV money incentivises them to vote for Houston. They make more money with Houston. If the TV money is equal between Memphis and UConn, and it costs TTU more to fly to Connecticut than to Tennessee, then TTU makes more money with Memphis and might vote for them. The TV money is equal. The profit isn't.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes. TV money is a fixed number. But for UT, having a campus in Houston + equal TV money incentivises them to vote for Houston. They make more money with Houston. If the TV money is equal between Memphis and UConn, and it costs TTU more to fly to Connecticut than to Tennessee, then TTU makes more money with Memphis and might vote for them. The TV money is equal. The profit isn't.

I didn't get that from this post:
Yes I thought that might have had an affect as well. But even still, I still have a hard time believing they would pass up more money with another candidate to vote for us. If they're a yes vote for us, I think it's telling that they believe we help them make the most money.

Regardless, I'd suggest that any nominal increase in expense for a little extra time in the air on plane, would be offset by first by NCAA credits that UConn will earn and later by the revenue from a digital network.

Reaction Score
Where exactly is WVU going to go if the Big12 falls apart? Or KU for that matter.

If the ACC really locks their league down, I don't think it's insane that the SEC might grab WVU, but they should definitely be nervous.

Reaction Score
....and all the rest of the schools except OU and Texas

IMO in a total collapse scenario, OU and Texas are in great shape no issues. Next up are Kansas and Oklahoma State, they'd find takers without an issue. Then it gets really dicey. Iowa State/Kansas State/TCU/Baylor/Texas Tech/WVU would have extremely limited power conference options. I'd suspect those six would band together and steal more from the AAC or MWC.

Reaction Score
If the ACC really locks their league down, I don't think it's insane that the SEC might grab WVU, but they should definitely be nervous.

I think WVU would be in a really bad spot. The only two realistic options would be SEC and ACC. Both of those conferences have a linear network which are all about cable boxes. West Virginia's entire population in 1.8M. That's tiny. Plus how many of those 1.8M even have cable (considering some of the remote locations due to the mountains, etc.) Then there's the academics, which have been discussed ad naseum.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I didn't get that from this post:

Regardless, I'd suggest that any nominal increase in expense for a little extra time in the air on plane, would be offset by first by NCAA credits that UConn will earn and later by the revenue from a digital network.

Looking back at my posts I'm all over the place. Probably has something to do with the fact that I have no idea what's going on. I'm more or less thinking out loud and countering my own points. Conference realignment has made me go mad.

Reaction Score
The hillbilly West VA "dudes" think WVU has value to other leagues

In reality only OU/KU/UT would probably land in a better spot, OSU possibly if OU forces them along in the sidecar and Pickens writes more large checks

Where exactly is WVU going to go if the Big12 falls apart? Or KU for that matter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom