Non-Key Tweets | Page 598 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know what will happen, but there are two things I feel pretty confident about now:

1) Memphis is out under any scenario. They are not getting an invitation.
2) Houston only gets invited if there are 4 teams being added to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
I don't know what will happen, but there are two things I feel pretty confident about now:

I agree that Memphis is out. They have to be. If ESPN and Fox are gonna throw a fit about anyone being added, it would be Memphis. And I doubt anyone in the Big 12 feels that strongly about adding them that they'd be willing to debate the networks to get them in.

So either they never were getting an invite, or they were and the Big 12 will replace them, or they'll go down to just 2 additions.

Reaction Score

I feel the same way. UH is 14. Memphis doesn't deliver Memphis. Waste of time.

Reaction Score
http://1280thezone.com/index.php/story/read/hans_scotty_g_john_ourand_sports_business_journal_writer

Here is an interview with the guy from sports business journal who wrote the article about ESPN and FOX being angry. Says ESPN doesn't understand why they should pay more for content they already have and it's a negotiation tactic. They will come to some kind of a consensus but said from who he's talked to BYU is a front runner for their national brand...

This is deeply disturbing. UT and the sisters of the poor have known for a long time that ESPN doesn't favor expansion. Alas, they want more money. Are they using these threats as bargaining leverage? #1 most epic nut sack kick to CT sports was delivered by Bob Kraft in the same manner.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

PETA wants your address so they can picket your house.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 52m52 minutes ago
@Briuconn
I'm not sure what you want me to respond to..
BYU-UH-UC-UCONN all have traction among B12...different slices of traction.

Brian A ‏@BriUConn · 48m48 minutes ago
@flugempire January-May when you spoke of 2 schools you were adamant it would be Cincy and UCONN to Big 12,so if it's 2 still same 2?

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 44m44 minutes ago
@Briuconn
There is no compromise that can be made at 12.
UT won't allow a UC/UCONN..they want UH.
Non Texas Faction won't allow UH 11/12

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 41m41 minutes ago
@Briuconn
There is no 12.
You need to get to 14 to get to 12.
Bowlsby and Boren will push their legal advantage within the contract.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 40m40 minutes ago
The least reported part of Big 12 expansion story is how pissed Boren is at UT and ESPN.
Until you know this...you don't have ear to ground

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Flugs is one of the few guys that can say "why" and have it make any sense.

I hope there is a standoff at 12, and then the question is whether to go back to ESPN for an adjustment and no additions, or add 4 schools.

Reaction Score

I hope there is a standoff at 12, and then the question is whether to go back to ESPN for an adjustment and no additions, or add 4 schools.
This is where a UH add may save us. Texas has a huge vested interest in getting them in. And they already have the LHN in hand, so they don't need to worry about the fallout from the networks down the line.

Reaction Score

I'm starting to hope (and will also laugh tremendously after the fact) that the Big XII just doesn't expand because Texas won't say no to Houston and/or the networks scared them away. Our odds don't seem great and if we can stay in a strong (for football) American it won't be anything close to as bad us not getting into a P5

Reaction Score
This is where a UH add may save us. Texas has a huge vested interest in getting them in. And they already have the LHN in hand, so they don't need to worry about the fallout from the networks down the line.

Or, it screws us even worse becauase instead of taking 1 school from the AAC they take 3 that doesn't include us. With our luck that is what will happen

Reaction Score
Still unsure how much the Texas schools actually "want" Houston as opposed to being told they need to "advocate" for their inclusion. There's a difference when it comes down to push and shove time.

Reaction Score
Or, it screws us even worse becauase instead of taking 1 school from the AAC they take 3 that doesn't include us. With our luck that is what will happen
The network pushback is probably much higher for a school like Memphis than it would be for UConn. UConn objectively holds value beyond "hey, they're close and they had a few good football seasons".

ESPN knows there's a decent chance they'd end up paying us someday, somewhere. Whether that's in the ACC or the Big 12. Memphis is only getting paid if the Big 12 takes them.

If ESPN/Fox says hey, if you're adding four, at least make it the 4 schools that likely were gonna get in somewhere anyway (UC/UConn/UH/BYU), maybe the Big 12 can live with that compromise.

Reaction Score
http://1280thezone.com/index.php/story/read/hans_scotty_g_john_ourand_sports_business_journal_writer

Here is an interview with the guy from sports business journal who wrote the article about ESPN and FOX being angry. Says ESPN doesn't understand why they should pay more for content they already have and it's a negotiation tactic. They will come to some kind of a consensus but said from who he's talked to BYU is a front runner for their national brand...
I happen to hear the author of this article tonight on XM College Sports Radio. He was mostly reviewing what he wrote until he started to talk about tv markets...he said this "UConn is the ONLY school that brings 100% of an entire market and gives excellent penetration into the NYC market...the geographical location is their ONLY hang up"...on Cincy was 3rd in their market; Houston is a pro sports town and UH is not even close to being #1 in their market; Memphis is also 3rd option in their market and has some serious facility and academic blemishes; USF is behind UF and FSU; UCF behind FSU; BYU has a large nation wide audience but doesn't carry any markets outside of Provo.

Reaction Score
If the author was fed this info by ESPN/FOX as speculated, its a good sign for us. This was supposedly a warning shot to the B12 delivered through the writer. I like that he clearly understands that we bring something to the table. It seems someone educated him.

Reaction Score
The network pushback is probably much higher for a school like Memphis than it would be for UConn. UConn objectively holds value beyond "hey, they're close and they had a few good football seasons".

ESPN knows there's a decent chance they'd end up paying us someday, somewhere. Whether that's in the ACC or the Big 12. Memphis is only getting paid if the Big 12 takes them.

If ESPN/Fox says hey, if you're adding four, at least make it the 4 schools that likely were gonna get in somewhere anyway (UC/UConn/UH/BYU), maybe the Big 12 can live with that compromise.

I'd agree, except for the fact that ESPN has never gone out of their way to help us and have often been a detriment.

Reaction Score
I happen to hear the author of this article tonight on XM College Sports Radio. He was mostly reviewing what he wrote until he started to talk about tv markets...he said this "UConn is the ONLY school that brings 100% of an entire market and gives excellent penetration into the NYC market...the geographical location is their ONLY hang up"...on Cincy was 3rd in their market; Houston is a pro sports town and UH is not even close to being #1 in their market; Memphis is also 3rd option in their market and has some serious facility and academic blemishes; USF is behind UF and FSU; UCF behind FSU; BYU has a large nation wide audience but doesn't carry any markets outside of Provo.
TweeT this info out,and watch heads explode.

Reaction Score
TweeT this info out,and watch heads explode.
the best part of the interview was how he put the guy asking him the questions in his place...he started to write off UConn and got slammed....when the guy was done explaining the market stuff he backtracked and totally changed his tune on UConn

Reaction Score
the best part of the interview was how he put the guy asking him the questions in his place...he started to write off UConn and got slammed....when the guy was done explaining the market stuff he backtracked and totally changed his tune on UConn
If anyone can link the interview would love to hear it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I want to believe what Flugs is saying and he typically does have solid reasoning.

The Houston issue makes a ton of sense on both sides unless they go to 14, and given that the networks aren't keen on expanding, I wouldn't be shocked if the networks gave the 10 Big 12 schools a bump and stayed put.

Reaction Score

I'm not one that thinks we should be parading around twitter but it is amazing how many people change their mind once they hear the actual data. Public perception is huge and I have to think a little bit of something would have been better than nothing.

Reaction Score
So in the world of Greg Flugar, Texas wants Houston and understands the Big 12 will have to go to 14 for Houston to get the votes while ESPN clearly does not want Houston in the Big 12 and certainly does not want the Big 12 to add 14 teams, yet despite being at such cross purposes, Texas and ESPN are in collusion to thwart OU's interests.

Yeah.

You know, he's interesting but he's full of crap.

Reaction Score
I suppose the Flug defenders will say Texas doesn't want expansion either and was just patronizing the governor and creating a no-win situation. Texas wants a campus in Houston and the University of Houston isn't going to remove its opposition simply because Fenves typed a tweet. I believe Texas does want Houston, ESPN doesn't, they're in opposition and Flug is full of it.

Where's that TCU tweet in support of BYU he promised? In fact, what exactly has he said that has ever come true?

Are UC, BYU, UConn and UH in the Big 12?

He probably has a Texas-hating (to the point of delusion) butt hurt Husker friend whose Sooner brother-in-law pays $9.95 a month for "insider" info.

Nothing to see there except 90% plausibility tainted with an irrational demonization.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom