Non-Conference Scheduling | The Boneyard

Non-Conference Scheduling

Reaction Score
With all the hype about UConn's non-conference schedule not being up to snuff and our AD's perspective that we need to focus on regional opponents (which I agree with) I came up with some Tier One and Tier Two opponents we should go after. Wondering what you guys thought?

Tier One (Those opponents that need to be played annually, bi-annually, or at least every 3-5 years)

Boston College
Buffalo
Louisville
Maryland
Massachusetts
Pittsburgh
Rhode Island
Rutgers
Syracuse
Villanova
West Virginia

Tier Two (Gap Fillers)

Akron
Army
Fordham
Holy Cross
Maine
Marshall
New Hampshire
Notre Dame
Penn State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Yale

Reaction Score
Popcorn racoon.gif

Reaction Score
A lot of your Tier 1 is exactly the kind of teams we need to make a more exciting OOC schedule. We've already had home & homes with BC, Syracuse, and Maryland so no reason we couldn't get them again. That said Buffalo, URI, and Nova are not Tier 1. URI and Nova are 1AA teams who are the literal definition of schedule filler and who gets excited for a home game against Buffalo?.

As for Tier 2 as you said they are all filler (most occupying the 1AA spot) except for Notre Dame who won't play us and Yale who isn’t scholarshiped which means they don’t count as a win. If we play them we have 1 fewer game to make a bowl.

I'm down for more old Big East teams on the schedule though which from what I've heard from AD Dave is a priority for him. So fingers crossed for a cool announcement soon.

Reaction Score
A lot of your Tier 1 is exactly the kind of teams we need to make a more exciting OOC schedule. We've already had home & homes with BC, Syracuse, and Maryland so no reason we couldn't get them again. That said Buffalo, URI, and Nova are not Tier 1. URI and Nova are 1AA teams who are the literal definition of schedule filler and who gets excited for a home game against Buffalo?.

As for Tier 2 as you said they are all filler (most occupying the 1AA spot) except for Notre Dame who won't play us and Yale who isn’t scholarshiped which means they don’t count as a win. If we play them we have 1 fewer game to make a bowl.

I'm down for more old Big East teams on the schedule though which from what I've heard from AD Dave is a priority for him. So fingers crossed for a cool announcement soon.

I see URI as bringing back an old school rivalry and feel they are a better choice than the other 1AA schools in the Tier 2 category. As far as Nova is concerned, Nova is a great 1AA school that is on a lot of folks' radar to eventually move up to FBS.

And I honestly didn't know that about Yale...I thought Yale gave out scholarships....or are you talking the number of scholarships? UConn-Yale used to be an annual thing and UConn actually has an all-time losing record against them.

Reaction Score
I would love to see us play Rutgers! Now that would be a great game to watch!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I see URI as bringing back an old school rivalry and feel they are a better choice than the other 1AA schools in the Tier 2 category. As far as Nova is concerned, Nova is a great 1AA school that is on a lot of folks' radar to eventually move up to FBS.

And I honestly didn't know that about Yale...I thought Yale gave out scholarships....or are you talking the number of scholarships? UConn-Yale used to be an annual thing and UConn actually has an all-time losing record against them.

Ivy League schools are not allowed to award athletic scholarships. They can only award scholarships based on financial need.

Reaction Score
We had a chance back in the day to do a 7 year home (ny, boston) and away with ND and backed out becsuse they wouldn't play in Hartford. It was stupid then and would be stupid now. Playing ND every year gets us massive national exposure, more so than any other team on the list. They should be tier 1 in my opinion

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We had a chance back in the day to do a 7 year home (ny, boston) and away with ND and backed out becsuse they wouldn't play in Hartford. It was stupid then and would be stupid now. Playing ND every year gets us massive national exposure, more so than any other team on the list. They should be tier 1 in my opinion

I could be persuaded to that stance but I was thinking regional first and national later but those national teams that we have some history with.

Reaction Score
Is it true that games against 1aa teams don't count towards a bowl invite?

Reaction Score
Would surely like to see the door opened to a Penn St game even if it's just a away game like the Notre Dame game was. The one North East team UConn has never played in football. Or possibly a 1 and 1 using Gillette Stadium as our home game if Penn St is so against playing at the Rent. 2021 they have Sept 25th open and UConn still needs one more out of conference game that year. Come on AD Dave, make it happen! Uconn beating Clemson and Penn St the same year, away both games? That might get you a shot at a playoff spot with an undefeated season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would surely like to see the door opened to a Penn St game even if it's just a away game like the Notre Dame game was. The one North East team UConn has never played in football. Or possibly a 1 and 1 using Gillette Stadium as our home game if Penn St is so against playing at the Rent. 2021 they have Sept 25th open and UConn still needs one more out of conference game that year. Come on AD Dave, make it happen! Uconn beating Clemson and Penn St the same year, away both games? That might get you a shot at a playoff spot with an undefeated season.

What a riot. Loved them all but maybe the one that sounded like he was hoarse was the funniest.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This thread again.

One guaranteed win at home (FCS/Local/whatever)
Two lower level P5's; one home and one away.
One marquee opponent that could be a one off away game. Part of a home and home. Marquee means a big name or an opponent of high fan interest like BC.

Most of the teams listed above fall into the first category, a labor day opener or other filler, assuming we would win.

Reaction Score
If it were up to me we would have zero P5 non conference games scheduled until all of Diaco's recruits are out of here. The Missouri/BC games proved it. Penn State? Rutgers? Apparently people want 2-4 win seasons from now on. The AAC is a good football league. Too good for us right now. There is no reason to go crazy non conference and make this rebuild harder than it already will be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If it were up to me we would have zero P5 non conference games scheduled until all of Diaco's recruits are out of here. The Missouri/BC games proved it. Penn State? Rutgers? Apparently people want 2-4 win seasons from now on. The AAC is a good football league. Too good for us right now. There is no reason to go crazy non conference and make this rebuild harder than it already will be.
Good point. But, if we don’t get some quality teams on the schedule, it kills attendance and hurts recruiting too.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
At this point, who they play comes second to how many wins
This team needs to win to create some excitement and put cheeks in the seats
I have faith in RE2 but the wins have to come real soon (o8/2018)

Reaction Score
True enough. That was essentially Beamer’s “schedule for success” model at VaTech. As he was building the program he tried to pad his non conference schedule with weak opponents, I think he agreed to play the state 1aa teams on s rotating basis, as well as other weak sisters. The goal was to establish a winning culture first then grow from there. We will likely have 2-3 top 25 teams on our schedule regularly in conference. And while I’m not incredibly excited about playing Buffalo and Marshall if we can go 3-1 or 4-0 in the non league portion winning will be easier.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I agree it makes no sense to load up the OOC schedule with upper tier P5 teams. However, due to financial considerations, we are likely going to have to try and schedule at least one big time road payday game per season, even if we get no return date. We can't turn down any opportunity to bank one million+ to take a beating on the road from the big boys.

Reaction Score
We are already in a so called weak conference. We should never play a 1AA team. I wish we opened up against Army ever year. Army is a 1A team, close driving distance, a beautiful football venue/experience. And most importantly it's a winnable game.

Reaction Score
I also believe we need to play Rutgers Big 10, and Boston College ACC every year.

The B C game should be annually, thanksgiving weekend, and it should be a New England trophy game.

that's how u build excitement, history, and tradition

Reaction Score
We are already in a so called weak conference. We should never play a 1AA team. I wish we opened up against Army ever year. Army is a 1A team, close driving distance, a beautiful football venue/experience. And most importantly it's a winnable game.

It is not a weak football conference. Not at all. Ranked teams play 1-AA squads but apparently it's too good for us? Ok.

Reaction Score
I also believe we need to play Rutgers Big 10, and Boston College ACC every year.

The B C game should be annually, thanksgiving weekend, and it should be a New England trophy game.

that's how u build excitement, history, and tradition

Fine, in about 3 years when the program is filled with Edsall kids. Right now playing those teams is a repeat of the Missouri and BC games last season.

Reaction Score

That is an amazing pipe dream that I would love to see come into reality. We could lose every other game that year but those two and the season would be a success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom