Non conference schedule | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Non conference schedule

Reaction Score
You need to stop demonstrating to everyone that you only followed college basketball for a couple peak years of the Big East. 2011 was an amazing year for the conference, no doubt! But year in and year out, the average year now is as good as any average year before once you account for 10 (now 11) schools instead of 16. In fact, the SOS for teams in the BE now is overall almost 2 points HIGHER now than before. I'm guessing this has to do with the round robin.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to the fact that the Big East just a couple years ago set/matched the record for highest percentage of a conference to go to the tournament. You also missed when we have two #1 seeds. And you missed the year that EVERY team in the big east received AP votes at some point during the year. Yes, even DEPAUL got votes but ended up still bombing in conf b/c the conference was that amazing.

You're so hung up on 2011's amazing season to realize that 19-20 was statistically even BETTER! But since many people like you who are oblivious to CBB outside of the tournament didn't get to see it due to COVID, it must not have happened right? Let me help you.
  • 3 or 4 teams were likely going to be top 4 seed (30-40% vs 2011's 25%)
  • 7 teams were likely to make the tournament (70% vs 2011's 68.75%)
  • 4 teams ended the season ranked in AP (40% vs 2011's 43.75%)
  • EVERY team received AP votes during the season (100% vs 2011's -I believe- 62.5%)
But even bigger than this discussion is the fact that you have no idea how the NET and Quad wins comes into play. They don't look at records vs other supposed tournament teams anymore, they look at record against the quads. BE is as strong or stronger than any other league out there right now other than B10 (which is a whole different issue...).

If you don't want to continue to come across looking like you have no idea what you're talking about, give watching the present day BE a few years.
Yeah sure. 2020 was the year Marquette won the Nationalal championship wasn’t it? I’m a bit skeptical about your 7 tourney teams. You really think teams with fewer than 20 wins AND losing conference records AND who ended the season on 3 game losing streaks were making the tournament?

Villanova has carried this league on its back since it was formed. We will see if UConn can help out, though I’m personally skeptical that we have the “fire in the belly” any more. 3 teams have gotten past the first weekend. Villanova, and Creighton and Xavier 1 time each. The rest are filler teams. They can usually pack light. Getting back to the original point, you could schedule garbage non- league games when you were in a league where multiple teams regularly were among the best in the country. From 2003-2013 the original Big East had teams in the final four 8 times with 4 titles spread among 3 different teams. It had multiple Final Four teams twice. Those facts are indicative of the strength and depth of the league. The current league is Villanova and a bunch of Washington Generals for them to beat up on. ( FWIW the Generals have 3 wins in their 72 year history, too so Villanova doesn’t always win. Just most of the time.)

Reaction Score
Yeah sure. 2020 was the year Marquette won the Nationalal championship wasn’t it? I’m a bit skeptical about your 7 tourney teams. You really think teams with fewer than 20 wins AND losing conference records AND who ended the season on 3 game losing streaks were making the tournament?

Villanova has carried this league on its back since it was formed. We will see if UConn can help out, though I’m personally skeptical that we have the “fire in the belly” any more. 3 teams have gotten past the first weekend. Villanova, and Creighton and Xavier 1 time each. The rest are filler teams. They can usually pack light. Getting back to the original point, you could schedule garbage non- league games when you were in a league where multiple teams regularly were among the best in the country. From 2003-2013 the original Big East had teams in the final four 8 times with 4 titles spread among 3 different teams. It had multiple Final Four teams twice. Those facts are indicative of the strength and depth of the league. The current league is Villanova and a bunch of Washington Generals for them to beat up on. ( FWIW the Generals have 3 wins in their 72 year history, too so Villanova doesn’t always win. Just most of the time.)

Don't take my word for it, check out the 2020 Bracketmatrix to see that most bracket prognosticators believed it to be so.

Do you know why? The answer lies with your second paragraph and your "original point." Which is also related to the point I was making (that you apparently only pay attention to the NCAAT). The only bubble team was Xavier. Below is their team sheet. With only 19 wins, a losing conference record (8-10), and a 3 game losing streak to end the season they had a NET ranking of 47, one of the cleanest team sheets in the country, a SoS of 15, 10 quad 1 and 2 wins, and to your point the conference had 7 of 10 teams in the top 50 NET including 5 top 26 teams (yeah, I did top 26 so I could include Marquette, so sue me! ;)).

Having multiple teams year in and year out going far in the tournament is the only and last piece for the BE to achieve since the split. 2020 was supposed to be that year where it all blows up huge and we were robbed of it. So if the tournament is all you watch or care about, fine... but then don't comment about generalities of conferences if you're not familiar with what you're talking about.

1631194862194.png

Reaction Score

Don't you need to chime in on the next football coach or something.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Baylor
Ucla
Tennessee
Cuse
Temple
UNC/Purdue
St Joes

now that’s an OOC sched
They only play two true cupcakes: Mt. Saint Mary's and Howard.

Reaction Score

Baylor
Ucla
Tennessee
Cuse
Temple
UNC/Purdue
St Joes

now that’s an OOC sched
As someone who has been very critical of UConn's schedule, VU's suffers the same issue: none of these games are at home, at the least the one's against marquee opponents.

They do get a game at MSG against Cuse (infinitely better than Newark and while SBU will be better than Cuse, it means more to fans) and the MTE happens to be in CT, but Battle 4 Atlantis is the premiere MTE in CBB today so can't complain about that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You need to stop demonstrating to everyone that you only followed college basketball for a couple peak years of the Big East.

If you don't want to continue to come across looking like you have no idea what you're talking about, give watching the present day BE a few years.

but then don't comment about generalities of conferences if you're not familiar with what you're talking about.

Is that you Mr Shaka so Smart? Take it easy Coach - BTW, the NBE is nothing like the real BE
(yeah, I did top 26 so I could include Marquette, so sue me! ;)). Of course you did :cool:

Reaction Score
That home slate may be the worst I've ever seen.
It definitely “disrespects” the loyal season ticket holders. A poor job of scheduling by both Danny and Dave. You have to take care of the Home OOC elite game before you brag about the in-season tournament games.

Reaction Score
i know people are going to complain (obviously the schedule could be better) but i can't wait to watch this team play a bunch of mid-majors tbh. feel like we were deprived last year.
They are not even mid majors.

Reaction Score
One of the things that hindered team growth & development last year was lack of early season cupcake games.

This year, we've got them and they should help immensely given the departure of Bouk and addition of 4 new frosh.

We'll have enough great tough home games with the Big East schedule.

Stop yelling at clouds people...buckle up, and get ready to enjoy the ride.
Just curious, did you pay thousands of dollars for tickets and seat donations? If not, you might have a different viewpoint if you did.

Reaction Score
You need to stop demonstrating to everyone that you only followed college basketball for a couple peak years of the Big East.

but then don't comment about generalities of conferences if you're not familiar with what you're talking about.

Is that you Mr Shaka so Smart? Take it easy Coach - BTW, the NBE is nothing like the real BE
(yeah, I did top 26 so I could include Marquette, so sue me! ;)). Of course you did :cool:

Too harsh? What can I say, the guy trolls well. :oops:

No, this isn't the BE you remember. However, the "real" BE is gone... thanks to our friends at ESPN and several former members. All we're left with now is one of the top basketball conferences in the country where the geography makes sense, there is stability and little worry of schools leaving, tv coverage is best in the business, and competition is top rate where even our basement dweller school regularly takes down power conference schools. I guess we'll have to make due.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It definitely “disrespects” the loyal season ticket holders. A poor job of scheduling by both Danny and Dave.
Speak for yourself. I'm a loyal season ticket holder and I don't feel disrespected. I respect that they are still rebuilding from a disaster. JC had early years where the prime OOC games were Pepperdine and Lafayette.

Reaction Score
Speak for yourself. I'm a loyal season ticket holder and I don't feel disrespected. I respect that they are still rebuilding from a disaster. JC had early years where the prime OOC games were Pepperdine and Lafayette.
Danny is in year 4, we went to the NCAA tournament and it’s time to step up and schedule elite games as you raised ticket/donations, etc.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe an away Pepperdine game was scheduled in connection with a pit stop to a big time tournament in Hawaii.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe an away Pepperdine game was scheduled in connection with a pit stop to a big time tournament in Hawaii.
The home game of that deal for UConn was the biggest OOC home game in JC's 3rd year. Pepperdine. The next year they played a down Maryland team at home but that was part of the BE/ACC slate. JC's 5th year, the toughest OOC home game was Lafayette. It appears DH plays harder OOC games than JC did at similar stages of their UConn career.

Reaction Score
The home game of that deal for UConn was the biggest OOC home game in JC's 3rd year. Pepperdine. The next year they played a down Maryland team at home but that was part of the BE/ACC slate. JC's 5th year, the toughest OOC home game was Lafayette. It appears DH plays harder OOC games than JC did at similar stages of their UConn career.
Pretty ridiculous comparing UConn before 4 National Championships to UConn after 4 National Championships. The work Jim had to do starting in 1986 was much more difficult. Besides the results there was no Gampel
or Werth practice complex. The coaching compensation was likely 5-10% of what it is today. Additionally, comparing a down Maryland team to CCSU, Binghamton, Coppin State etc is silly. Who wouldn’t prefer to see Maryland?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pretty ridiculous comparing UConn before 4 National Championships to UConn after 4 National Championships. The work Jim had to do starting in 1986 was much more difficult. Besides the results there was no Gampel
or Werth practice complex. The coaching compensation was likely 5-10% of what it is today. Additionally, comparing a down Maryland team to CCSU, Binghamton, Coppin State etc is silly. Who wouldn’t prefer to see Maryland?
Our "Maryland" game (a game mandated by the league not the school) this year is on the road, at WVU as part of the Big 12- Big East thing. If it was home this year, it would have been just like then. The following year, when UConn played the ACC on the road, there was no powerhouse to take up the slack, they played Lafayette. Which has been my point here, JC and DH have exhibited the exact same scheduling philosophy.

Reaction Score
Our "Maryland" game (a game mandated by the league not the school) this year is on the road, at WVU as part of the Big 12- Big East thing. If it was home this year, it would have been just like then. The following year, when UConn played the ACC on the road, there was no powerhouse to take up the slack, they played Lafayette. Which has been my point here, JC and DH have exhibited the exact same scheduling philosophy.
You don’t seem to get it - season ticket holders with a few exceptions (mainly you) want a home marque OOC game that's part of the season ticket package. You can call the game whatever you want. When I have some time on my next long flight, I will try to put together a list of such opponents we played at home over the Calhoun years - it’s very long and significant.

Reaction Score
As someone who has been very critical of UConn's schedule, VU's suffers the same issue: none of these games are at home, at the least the one's against marquee opponents.

They do get a game at MSG against Cuse (infinitely better than Newark and while SBU will be better than Cuse, it means more to fans) and the MTE happens to be in CT, but Battle 4 Atlantis is the premiere MTE in CBB today so can't complain about that.
I don’t need to tell you why NEWBIE teams don‘t get big name opponents at home, right?

Reaction Score
That is a laughable comparison, truly laughable. You want to defend a crap tactic schedule, go ahead. But keep in mind that UConn wasn’t recognized as a power then. We played mainly a regional schedule outside the league, and there was no such thing as power conferences as we know them today. And that is just the beginning of the differences.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
That is a laughable comparison, truly laughable. You want to defend a crap tactic schedule, go ahead. But keep in mind that UConn wasn’t recognized as a power then. We played mainly a regional schedule outside the league, and there was no such thing as power conferences as we know them today. And that is just the beginning of the differences.
Part of me hopes you break both your hands so you can't type anymore

Reaction Score
I don’t need to tell you why NEWBIE teams don‘t get big name opponents at home, right?

The following is a list of BE home games with high major opponents. Seems a bit of a down year, but most teams have 2. Most schools should have at least one between the Gavitt Games and BE/B12 challenge... but UConn got screwed out of one of those so probably why they missed out on at least 1 good high major. This doesn't count strong mid-major conference opponents like AAC/A10/or good programs from Ivy, etc.

Georgetown
Syracuse
TCU

Seton Hall
Texas
Rutgers

Villanova
Big5 games make it more difficult, especially with home and homes set up with UCLA and A10 opponents filling schedule.

Providence
Texas Tech

Creighton
Iowa State
Arizona State

Marquette
Illinois
UCLA

Xavier
Ohio State
Cincinnati (Assuming move to B12, so included it)

Butler
Michigan State
Purdue

UConn
None

DePaul
Rutgers

St. Johns
Pitt
Kansas *technically a neutral site at UBS Arena

Reaction Score
The following is a list of BE home games with high major opponents. Seems a bit of a down year, but most teams have 2. Most schools should have at least one between the Gavitt Games and BE/B12 challenge... but UConn got screwed out of one of those so probably why they missed out on at least 1 good high major. This doesn't count strong mid-major conference opponents like AAC/A10/or good programs from Ivy, etc.

Georgetown
Syracuse
TCU

Seton Hall
Texas
Rutgers

Villanova
Big5 games make it more difficult, especially with home and homes set up with UCLA and A10 opponents filling schedule.

Providence
Texas Tech

Creighton
Iowa State
Arizona State

Marquette
Illinois
UCLA

Xavier
Ohio State
Cincinnati (Assuming move to B12, so included it)

Butler
Michigan State
Purdue

UConn
None

DePaul
Rutgers

St. Johns
Pitt
Kansas *technically a neutral site at UBS Arena
As Chief has been saying, our results in this area are very much subpar and poor.
Given that we play in two buildings and many fans attend games in only one building: A best practice goal should be two games - one in each building.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom