Non conference schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Non conference schedule

Reaction Score
His post didn't say anything about home games. I don't care where we play the good opponents as long as they're on the schedule
Even if you don’t have season tickets, which I’m assuming you don’t based on your comment, most everyone likes watching their team play in big time home games especially on campus. College Gameday isn’t coming to storrs for any of these That’s for darn sure.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Any idea how hard it is to get tickets for the cupcake games? I’ll be in Connecticut for the first time in 20 years in early November and want to try to catch the game on the 9th. Thanks.

Reaction Score
i know people are going to complain (obviously the schedule could be better) but i can't wait to watch this team play a bunch of mid-majors tbh. feel like we were deprived last year.
Exactly my take. Just want to be confident that we’re able to watch a full schedule without any Covid cancellations.

Reaction Score
I think my biggest gripe with the OOC schedule is too many 300+ KenPom cupcakes. 2-3 of those are okay, but I think it’s also productive to sprinkle in those teams that are in the 100-200 range. From checking on my phone quickly, I believe every team outside our 5 marquee matchups is close too 300 or 300+.

Reaction Score
You think potentially playing Auburn (6 seed in Lunardi preseason bracket), Michigan State (7 seed), Baylor (2 seed), West Virginia (9 seed), and St. Boni (5 seed) in 5 of our 11 OOC games will be really bad for our NET? Complain about the home games, fine, but don't worry about OOC SOS.
My post was a reply to another post referencing the HOME OOC schedule. We can just as easily schedule teams that are in the 150-250 range for tuneups rather than teams that are 250+ AND give fans that are continually donating money a big OOC game at home.

Reaction Score
One of the things that hindered team growth & development last year was lack of early season cupcake games.

This year, we've got them and they should help immensely given the departure of Bouk and addition of 4 new frosh.

We'll have enough great tough home games with the Big East schedule.

Stop yelling at clouds people...buckle up, and get ready to enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
Its not ideal for season ticket holders, but should do fine as far as NET rankings and resume building for the tourney.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Some of you need a quick course in history. Calhoun schedules were virtually the same as this one. He knew that more wins - regardless of who they were against - meant higher seeds in the tournament. He scheduled for the tournament KNOWING that strength of schedule would be handled through the brutal Big East schedule.

How does this sound? Stony Brook. Vermont. Wichita State, MSU, and Kentucky at Maui. UNH. UMBC. Fairly Ridiculous. Coppin State. Harvard. Tennessee. That‘s the OOC schedule for 2010-11. Remember. National Championship.

Would you rather have them playing the 10-11 top ranked teams in the country, go 5-6, and if they miraculously make the tournament, be a 14 seed? Danny’s scheduling for March, not November With just enough good teams to test them and promote some interest like Auburn, West Virginia, the Bonnies

Reaction Score
Calhoun played in the original Big East. Often he had multiple top 4 seeds on the schedule. 2011 we played 4 top 4 seeds. Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville were 1, 3, 2, 4. Plus a 5 and 3 6s. Comparing how Calhoun scheduled with that schedule with what the NEWBIE will have is just silly. If Villanova has a good year, it will get a Top 4 seed. You guys clearly have no clue how difficult the Big East was. we Finished in the middle of the conference and still got a 3 seed. If we finish in the middle of the NEWBIE we might still get a 3 seed. It’s just that it will be in the NIT. If Hurley is thinking like some of you are, that the league will balance this crud bucket of a non- conference schedule, he is dumber than some of you guys.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Calhoun played in the original Big East. Often he had multiple top 4 seeds on the schedule. 2011 we played 4 top 4 seeds. Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame and Louisville were 1, 3, 2, 4. Plus a 5 and 3 6s. Comparing how Calhoun scheduled with that schedule with what the NEWBIE will have is just silly. If Villanova has a good year, it will get a Top 4 seed. You guys clearly have no clue how difficult the Big East was. we Finished in the middle of the conference and still got a 3 seed. If we finish in the middle of the NEWBIE we might still get a 3 seed. It’s just that it will be in the NIT. If Hurley is thinking like some of you are, that the league will balance this crud bucket of a non- conference schedule, he is dumber than some of you guys.
We're playing Auburn, St. Bonaventure, West Virginia at West Virginia and at least two of VCU, Michigan State, Arizona State, Baylor, or Syracuse. St. Bonaventure and West Virginia are top 25 kenpom. Auburn will most likely be top 25 kenpom this year. All the other possible Atlantis games are top 50 teams. That is your definition of a crud bucket non conference?

Reaction Score
We're playing Auburn, St. Bonaventure, West Virginia at West Virginia and at least two of VCU, Michigan State, Arizona State, Baylor, or Syracuse. St. Bonaventure and West Virginia are top 25 kenpom. Auburn will most likely be top 25 kenpom this year. All the other possible Atlantis games are top 50 teams. That is your definition of a crud bucket non conference?
Yeah, so maybe we play a couple of borderline Top 25 teams in addition to the dreck. But that wasn’t the point. Geordi claimed that we were following Calhoun’s 2011 schedule model. Maybe, but we aren’t in the old Big East any more. In 2011 six other Big East teams were in the Top 25 Including Pitt at #3 and Notre Dame at #4. As I pointed out we played 8 teams that were seeded in the top 6 in the tournament, many multiple times. When you play a conference schedule like that, you can play Miss Porters JV and the Mansfield rec league u-12 in the non- conference and it won’t hurt your NET/RPI or whatever. When you play in the NEWBIE, where maybe 2 teams will finish in the Top 25, and 1 will get a top 4 seed, it isn’t even vaguely comparable.

Reaction Score
Some of you need a quick course in history. Calhoun schedules were virtually the same as this one. He knew that more wins - regardless of who they were against - meant higher seeds in the tournament. He scheduled for the tournament KNOWING that strength of schedule would be handled through the brutal Big East schedule.

How does this sound? Stony Brook. Vermont. Wichita State, MSU, and Kentucky at Maui. UNH. UMBC. Fairly Ridiculous. Coppin State. Harvard. Tennessee. That‘s the OOC schedule for 2010-11. Remember. National Championship.

Would you rather have them playing the 10-11 top ranked teams in the country, go 5-6, and if they miraculously make the tournament, be a 14 seed? Danny’s scheduling for March, not November With just enough good teams to test them and promote some interest like Auburn, West Virginia, the Bonnies
In 2011, out of 12 non-conf games...
5 were against absolute cupcakes.
3 were in a premier tournament against good teams.
2 were against decent local teams at home (Vermont, Harvard).
1 was on the road against a good team.
1 was at home against a good team.

In 2021, out of 11 non-conf games...
6 will be against absolute cupcakes.
3 will be in a premier tournament against good teams.
0 will be against decent local teams at home.
1 will be on the road against a good team.
1 will be neutral court against a good team.

So we're trading the 3 best home games for 1 additional cupcake and a neutral court game.

Reaction Score
Don't you have to get ready for the football game or something?

Reaction Score
5 were against absolute cupcakes.
3 were in a premier tournament against good teams.
2 were against decent local teams at home (Vermont, Harvard).
1 was on the road against a good team.
1 was at home against a good team.

In 2021, out of 11 non-conf games...
6 will be against absolute cupcakes.
3 will be in a premier tournament against good teams.
0 will be against decent local teams at home.
1 will be on the road against a good team.
1 will be neutral court against a good team.

So we're trading the 3 best home games for 1 additional cupcake and a neutral court game.
Which is why I think everyone is overreacting. For season ticket holders sure it sucks, for strength of schedule/tournament resume it's a perfectly fine strong OOC schedule

Reaction Score
Which is why I think everyone is overreacting. For season ticket holders sure it sucks, for strength of schedule/tournament resume it's a perfectly fine strong OOC schedule
I would've loved to see some stronger regional teams instead of 6 cupcakes.

LIU Brooklyn will be a pretty experienced team, so hopefully they don't end up horrid. Grambling St may end up merely really bad instead of abominable (250+).

Binghamton, Coppin St, CCSU, and UMDES are all going to be extremely terrible (300+). Torvik has Eastern Shore as the worst team in the country this season out of 358 teams.

Reaction Score
The fair consensus seems like people are fine with schedule, just wish there was at least one good home OOC matchup.

Personally, I like MAAC, NEC, Ivy and American East cupcakes because there is a local flair, regardless how bad the team is.

Based on that, I'm cool w/ playing Binghamton (my wife is 25% Icelandic and they have an Icelander on their team), CCSU (rooting for Pat Sellers) and LIU (one of the better teams in the NEC and one of the better local starting frontcourts).

It's the Coppin States, Gramblings and UMDES games that stink. Keep one of them, replace one with a local cupcake (Ivy?) and replace one with a good OOC game.

That's a realistic ask.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When we were in the AAC, no league games had any excitement and the most popular OOC games were when we played Big East teams. Now we play a whole conference season of Big East teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Go back to 2005-6. On New Years Day that team had the worst SoS in the country. JC scheduled home games against 5 teams ranked higher than 300. This year is so much better than that.

Reaction Score
Go back to 2005-6. On New Years Day that team had the worst SoS in the country. JC scheduled home games against 5 teams ranked higher than 300. This year is so much better than that.
That's because the 2 best nonconf games were during the regular season (LSU/Indiana).

They also played 2 less conference games, so more room for cupcakes on the schedule. That year was about as bad as this year will be (6 250+ schools), but we're missing that UMass type game in the low 100s. Would much rather substitute one of those for one of the cupcakes (or more, honestly).

Reaction Score
So I assume you are being intentionally obtuse since I know you know better. There were 6 teams in the Big East ranked in the Top 25 not including UConn. Do you think that could have factored into the scheduling? Plus they had 2 national games after the holidays. Given the strength of the Big East, they could have played a bunch of middle school teams in their non-league games. That simply isn’t the case any more.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So I assume you are being intentionally obtuse since I know you know better. There were 6 teams in the Big East ranked in the Top 25 not including UConn. Do you think that could have factored into the scheduling? Plus they had 2 national games after the holidays. Given the strength of the Big East, they could have played a bunch of middle school teams in their non-league games. That simply isn’t the case any more.
So you're saying that team was well prepared for the Big Dance?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
So you're saying that team was well prepared for the Big Dance?
LOL, nice job of changing the question. I echo Calhoun. That team was more concerned with getting to the NBA than winning the NCAA. But that wasn’t the point of my post. Let me spell it out for you. When we played in a league with 5 Top 25 teams (we were #6) our strength of schedule was extremely high even taking into account the fact that our non-league schedule was weak. In the upcoming season it is unlikely that we will face 6 Top 25 in and out of conference combined, never mind that we played Arizona and Gonzaga, both Top 10 at the time, in Maui, and multiple games with some of the ranked Big East teams. Oh and Indiana was #20. I think over all we played like 13-14 games vs Top 25 teams that year. Tell me again how this year’s non-conference schedule is comparable to what we played in 2005-06.

I know people will get mad when I say this, but when you are in a borderline major conference you need to schedule differently than you did when you were in the top league in the country If you want to be a major power. There might be 2 teams in the NewBiE that are ranked this year. Problem is we might be one of them.

Reaction Score

You need to stop demonstrating to everyone that you only followed college basketball for a couple peak years of the Big East. 2011 was an amazing year for the conference, no doubt! But year in and year out, the average year now is as good as any average year before once you account for 10 (now 11) schools instead of 16. In fact, the SOS for teams in the BE now is overall almost 2 points HIGHER now than before. I'm guessing this has to do with the round robin.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to the fact that the Big East just a couple years ago set/matched the record for highest percentage of a conference to go to the tournament. You also missed when we have two #1 seeds. And you missed the year that EVERY team in the big east received AP votes at some point during the year. Yes, even DEPAUL got votes but ended up still bombing in conf b/c the conference was that amazing.

You're so hung up on 2011's amazing season to realize that 19-20 was statistically even BETTER! But since many people like you who are oblivious to CBB outside of the tournament didn't get to see it due to COVID, it must not have happened right? Let me help you.
  • 3 or 4 teams were likely going to be top 4 seed (30-40% vs 2011's 25%)
  • 7 teams were likely to make the tournament (70% vs 2011's 68.75%)
  • 4 teams ended the season ranked in AP (40% vs 2011's 43.75%)
  • EVERY team received AP votes during the season (100% vs 2011's -I believe- 62.5%)
But even bigger than this discussion is the fact that you have no idea how the NET and Quad wins comes into play. They don't look at records vs other supposed tournament teams anymore, they look at record against the quads. BE is as strong or stronger than any other league out there right now other than B10 (which is a whole different issue...).

If you don't want to continue to come across looking like you have no idea what you're talking about, give watching the present day BE a few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom