Nolan seems to be getting back to form | The Boneyard

Nolan seems to be getting back to form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Before all the sarcastic "what form is that, 2 points and 2 rebounds?" replies, we should acknowledge that there is a difference between Nolan we saw last season and the one from this year. The last two games, he has appeared more spry than he was previously. He was a lot better than Brimah tonight defending the pick-and-roll; he's able to hedge high on ball screens and still recover back, and while he's not a great help defender, he's generally in the right spot (he even had two blocks tonight). His rebounding has improved to a respectable rate and he's semi-competent as a passer off screen and rolls.

It seems likely that Phil was hampered by an injury early in the season - he appears to have a little more lift, and I thought he energized the team in relief duty for the foul-plagued Brimah today.

There has been an immense drop-off all season from Brimah to the next guy. The Phil Nolan that is barking out signals on defense and switching onto point guards late in the shot clock is a real asset to the team, and I'm hopeful that guy is back.

Reaction Score
I sincerely hope that Phil gets healthy and continues to improve. He is not to blame for what has been happening this year. That said, if he stays the same I'd like to see a different first off the bench.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There were some tap-outs I didn't like but I also saw a few strong, aggressive rebounds out of Phil tonight. My only disappointment was the missed FTs being that he shot nearly 80% at the line last year.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Much better game from Nolan today...he was our most effective big by far. Facey continued his disappearing act and Brimah was consistently out of place on D and in foul trouble all night. Phil was active all night in extended run and flashed #0 type production

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Brimah's career high 8! blocks and multiple other shots altered a waste. He made the most of his limited minutes on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
Make whatever excuses you want for our guys but Brimah and Facey combined for one rebound. One. Against Tulane's slow and clumsy big guys. That's just terrible effort in my book. Thank God RP bailed us out late or this loss would've been on them

Reaction Score
Good for Phil. Another decent showing.

I did notice late in the game how he came out of the game. He was walking gingerly, more like his feet were hurting but hurting a bit. I believe he is playing through some pain although I can't confirm that.

Reaction Score
He was not a liability and seems to be playing within himself (not trying to do too much). The kid does have fast feet for his size.

Its obvious that the light bulb came on and he's hustling his ass off to make an impact.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Good for Phil. Another decent showing.

I did notice late in the game how he came out of the game. He was walking gingerly, more like his feet were hurting but hurting a bit. I believe he is playing through some pain although I can't confirm that.
I thought it was a play in which one of the Tulane bigs hit him in the back. Hopefully it works it's way out quickly.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

At the beginning of the season KO had both Nolan and Brimah in the line up. He may want to consider trying this again for some stretches of the game.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

At the beginning of the season KO had both Nolan and Brimah in the line up. He may want to consider trying this again for some stretches of the game.

For foul reasons, I don't think he can play both in the lineup at the same time. I actually like when Phil starts over AB, it allows Brimah to come off the bench without any fouls (he always racks up fouls in the first five minutes of the game.)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
For foul reasons, I don't think he can play both in the lineup at the same time. I actually like when Phil starts over AB, it allows Brimah to come off the bench without any fouls (he always racks up fouls in the first five minutes of the game.)
Agree they have to back up one another cause both are foul prone. But for selective minutes there could be an advantage to having both play together if Nolan can play at the level he has played the last two games.

Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
Good for Phil. Another decent showing. I did notice late in the game how he came out of the game. He was walking gingerly, more like his feet were hurting but hurting a bit. I believe he is playing through some pain although I can't confirm that.

I didn't notice the gingerly gait, but he was kidding around quickstepping/hesitation stepping to throw off the students "left/right" chant after he got his 5th foul.

Reaction Score
Maybe nolan is finally getting use to his new body? he is on the upswing no doubt, can't say the same for boatright or calhoun defensively. purvis hamilton brimah are our best defensive personnel

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I didn't notice the gingerly gait, but he was kidding around quickstepping/hesitation stepping to throw off the students "left/right" chant after he got his 5th foul.

I've always wanted to see somebody do that. If it were me, I'd just hop on one foot the whole way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom