Reaction Score

"UPDATE: 11:37 AM: GoLocalProv took down the article for some unknown reason."

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Or John Calipari.

caw

Reaction Score

That's not shocking with his reclassification. That helps PC and UK the best. PC because they don't have a ton of "talent" up front but have a bevy of good guards next year. So a lot of playing time and a lot of guards to feed off of. Council, Coleman, Cotton, Dunn and Ledo is a pretty good 1-3 on paper.

UK, because they will have playing time everywhere next year.

It hurts Cuse because they have 4 upperclassmen who may be back in Fab/Southerland/Keita/Christmas plus they signed Coleman for the 5.

ATM I don't see how UConn gets him:
Calhoun comes, -1 scholarship
Drummond either leaves or goes on scholarship either -1 or -2
Noel comes -2 or -3
That's either a lot of players leaving or the NCAA giving back some scholarships (which is possible, but unknown right now).

Reaction Score
I dont see him going to Providence at all. It will be interesting to see if we can sell him on our history of shot blockers.

Caw, the staff is going to add another player or two to the 2012 staff so they obviously feel they will have scholarships to use. These things tend to work themselves out.

Reaction Score
I can actually see him going to PC. He may like Cooley and the opportunity to play with Dunn/Ledo. If the kid wants to be a part of building something new versus continuing a tradition then that's the play. I hope it doesn't happen, but if Dunn and Ledo are at PC, it's not like he's going to be playing with guys with no talent so I could can see a scenario where it happens.

If the goal is the second contract in the league and our guys are honest with themselves about their league readiness then we should have everyone coming back (Yes, I know it's somewhat unrealistic to expect a 19 yo kid to turn down $X) so we wouldn't have room would we?

If you come out and aren't NBA ready there's not a ton of patience and the big second contract payout is jeopardized and I'm not sure we have anyone physically and/or mentally ready for the league at this point in their careers.

caw

Reaction Score
I dont see him going to Providence at all. It will be interesting to see if we can sell him on our history of shot blockers.

Caw, the staff is going to add another player or two to the 2012 staff so they obviously feel they will have scholarships to use. These things tend to work themselves out.

Of course they do, I just am not sure who that would be at the moment. That plus I don't want to speculate.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Of course, UK has the huge recruiting advantage that the Squid-WWW team has immunity and impunity from any potential NCAA investigation or sanction...World Wide Wes takes the kids on Leer Jet rides with LeBron and backs up the dump truck load of cash...but the NCAA plays SGT Schultz...I see nothing, I see nothing

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I was watching SC today and UConn wasn't even listed as one of the teams he's considering offers from...

Reaction Score
I liked our chances when we weren't playing like crap. I hope we land this kid. I love his game.

Reaction Score
Rivals says KY, Syracuse & UConn lead with Providence heading up a list of 4-5 second line schools for his services.
My guess is he wants to be a 1 and done. Perfect for KY.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Guess what? There's less than a 0% chance that Drummond is staying for next year. The only reason kids with his potential (and I'm strictly speaking draft potential) stay is if there's a lockout. Not even Calhoun would convince him to stay and develop an extra year. He's a sure-fire top 5 pick, and that is probably being modest.

That being said, there's a gaping hole at the 4-5 next year. We're left w/ what ... Oriakhi, Bradley, and Wolf? There's certainly a spot here for Noel if he wants it. And there'll still be a Tilton connection.

Reaction Score
Guess what? There's less than a 0% chance that Drummond is staying for next year. The only reason kids with his potential (and I'm strictly speaking draft potential) stay is if there's a lockout. Not even Calhoun would convince him to stay and develop an extra year. He's a sure-fire top 5 pick, and that is probably being modest.

That being said, there's a gaping hole at the 4-5 next year. We're left w/ what ... Oriakhi, Bradley, and Wolf? There's certainly a spot here for Noel if he wants it. And there'll still be a Tilton connection.
The one thing Calhoun may have for Drummond to digest is Hasheem Thebeet. Hash was the #2 pick. He left too early. He got his 5-6 million, but he never improved while in the NBA. As a result, when his 3 year contract is up, he'll most likely be cut. Hash will probably finish out in Europe.
The NBA wants Drummond on potential. But improving, on your potential, in the NBA, is tough. Especially when you are 18. I do believe Drummond stays another year.
Noel, if he goes to KY it'll be a year. Syracuse, UConn, or any other school he's considering will try to rationalize with him that it's better to stay 2 years. Hopefully the new NBA CBA will allow for 2 years. But, it doesn't seem like this is a NBA or Union priority.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Well-written, sounds like a smart, level-headed kid.

Definitely.

This makes me think we might actually have a shot... who knows.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
The one thing Calhoun may have for Drummond to digest is Hasheem Thebeet. Hash was the #2 pick. He left too early. He got his 5-6 million, but he never improved while in the NBA. As a result, when his 3 year contract is up, he'll most likely be cut. Hash will probably finish out in Europe.
The NBA wants Drummond on potential. But improving, on your potential, in the NBA, is tough. Especially when you are 18. I do believe Drummond stays another year.
Noel, if he goes to KY it'll be a year. Syracuse, UConn, or any other school he's considering will try to rationalize with him that it's better to stay 2 years. Hopefully the new NBA CBA will allow for 2 years. But, it doesn't seem like this is a NBA or Union priority.

I think Andre could benefit greatly from an extra year in college ... heck, I truly believe ANY player can. But as it stands, I just don't see it being the best decision ... and believe me, I would love to see come him back for another year.

But he's got much more in common with an 18-yr-old Dwight Howard than he does with a 21-yr-old Hasheem Thabeet.

caw

Reaction Score
Noel's blog on ESPN.com...talks about upcoming visits and the strengths of each school...

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/boys-basketball/post/_/id/2871/nerlens-notebook-back-to-2012

Probably due to proximity but he has been to numerous PC games in the past few years, and I believe a few UConn games as well, thus no officials for those two schools, correct? I imagine SU is the first official because it's the closest (which does bode well for SU) and easiest to set up quickly.

Reaction Score
So with Calhoun's health in doubt, our team playing with zero enthusiasm' and every team in the country offering for his services, we think UConn has a chance with this guy...um, that would be no. Don't set yourselves up for a dissappointment folks.

Reaction Score
So with Calhoun's health in doubt, our team playing with zero enthusiasm' and every team in the country offering for his services, we think UConn has a chance with this guy...um, that would be no. Don't set yourselves up for a dissappointment folks.

Remember when we missed out on Brandon Jennings and had to settle for Kemba Walker? Or when we missed out on Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, and CJ Leslie and had to settle for Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier? These recruiting things tend to work out. I'd love Noel, but if not, I'm sure we'll find somebody else to go along with Olander, Oriakhi, and maybe Drummond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom