No White, No Larrier ... Robinson is a must get | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No White, No Larrier ... Robinson is a must get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The interesting thing about Robert Johnson's commit is that Indiana has a lot of guards and swingmen recruited from the last two years, and Johnson is a kid with big offers, but he doesn't make ESPN's top 100. So, it's a question if he'll ever get to play. Devin would have some difficulty making a decision to go to a school based on friendship alone.

Reaction Score
One more thing, Indiana has 3 top 100 swingmen coming in from the previous two recruiting classes. 2 are top 50. Jeremy Hollowell, Troy Williams, Stanford Robinson.

Williams especially was a stud with a lot of big schools offering, including North Carolina.

Indiana is piling on the recruiting successes of the last two years.

Reaction Score
We lost out on another recruit who is beneath are storied program... whats going on with our recruiting?

pj

Reaction Score
No recruits are beneath our program. Our program elevates recruits, but any player who KO wants is worthy of our program. The recruits who want to come here are worthy of our fan appreciation.

Reaction Score
No recruits are beneath our program. Our program elevates recruits, but any player who KO wants is worthy of our program. The recruits who want to come here are worthy of our fan appreciation.

under coach calhoun, uconn has developed a certain standard. if players are being brought in as a last resort that fall below that standard, fans have every right to vocalize their discontent(off the court). i am not one that will criticize a kid on the floor giving his maximum effort(regardless of talent), but i do hold the current staff, as much as i love coach ollie, to maintain the uconn standard that has been established. if they do, i will applaud them. if they dont, i will not stand quiet.

Reaction Score
under coach calhoun, uconn has developed a certain standard. if players are being brought in as a last resort that fall below that standard, fans have every right to vocalize their discontent(off the court). i am not one that will criticize a kid on the floor giving his maximum effort(regardless of talent), but i do hold the current staff, as much as i love coach ollie, to maintain the uconn standard that has been established. if they do, i will applaud them. if they dont, i will not stand quiet.

How are you going to criticize them? Say that UConn players don't have enough stars?

Calhoun took years to develop Kemba, Thabeet, Emeka etc., two guys who were out of the top 100 when UConn recruited them.

I mean, are you going to wait 4 years (i.e. say Kasongo's junior year) before criticizing Ollie?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score

Do you really think that you acting like you really have some impact on the job Kevin Ollie is doing by posting on The Boneyard is a significant act of protest if he does not get more than 2 five star recruits in a class? Who could have freakin' predicted that we could end up losing Devin R. to one other school when his childhood friend happened to commit to that one school? It is disappointing that a great start to recruiting has not turned into the all-time best recruiting class UConn ever had, but it looks to me that KO has been working as hard or harder than any UConn coach has ever worked to try to bring home top recruits from all over. It looks to me that he has done a great job and in the end, you cannot control what these kids do.

Reaction Score
Do you really think that you acting like you really have some impact on the job Kevin Ollie is doing by posting on The Boneyard is a significant act of protest if he does not get more than 2 five star recruits in a class? Who could have freakin' predicted that we could end up losing Devin R. to one other school when his childhood friend happened to commit to that one school? It is disappointing that a great start to recruiting has not turned into the all-time best recruiting class UConn ever had, but it looks to me that KO has been working as hard or harder than any UConn coach has ever worked to try to bring home top recruits from all over. It looks to me that he has done a great job and in the end, you cannot control what these kids do.

Who on this board actually thinks they have any impact? Are you serious? But let me remind you that UConn Basketball is "big time" college athletics. Just like Mack Brown and Texas football. If you don't produce, you catch heat. It really is that simple. Applaud Coach Ollie for his efforts all you want, but if the results on the floor fall short for a few consecutive years, merely his effort won't matter. Get real.

Reaction Score
Who on this board actually thinks they have any impact? Are you serious? But let me remind you that UConn Basketball is "big time" college athletics. Just like Mack Brown and Texas football. If you don't produce, you catch heat. It really is that simple. Applaud Coach Ollie for his efforts all you want, but if the results on the floor fall short for a few consecutive years, merely his effort won't matter. Get real.

But, uh, did Kemba Walker get heat from you for his first two years? Kemba was a main player in that disaster called 2010.

Reaction Score
How are you going to criticize them? Say that UConn players don't have enough stars?

Calhoun took years to develop Kemba, Thabeet, Emeka etc., two guys who were out of the top 100 when UConn recruited them.

I mean, are you going to wait 4 years (i.e. say Kasongo's junior year) before criticizing Ollie?

no. what i will do is argue simply for the sake of arguing. i will break down how many times uconn will be on tv. i will pretend to get into the psyche of each recruit and tell this board why they will come to uconn. when they don't, i will move on the next recruit. rinse. repeat. until finally, we land our fourth or fifth option and i will applaud the staff for a job well done and believe that this said recruit is worthy simply because our coach signed him, even though we offered him very late in the process.

this is uconn basketball. kevin ollie inherited an elite program. to maintain that, he will have to recruit and will have to land some of his top targets. i still hold much hope for robinson and even hamilton to sign. somehow, if neither come, uconn can still be okay, if players like dd come back, with guys like kasongo and graham. but, over the long term, an elite program cannot sustain multiple years of missing out on top targets. stop pretending and arguing otherwise.

Reaction Score
But, uh, did Kemba Walker get heat from you for his first two years? Kemba was a main player in that disaster called 2010.

I don't criticize players and their efforts. I do think that was one of Coach Calhoun's weaker seasons.

Reaction Score
People on this board had a tremendous impact in the game of life. Just look at the +40k raised on this message board by the various Boneyard team leaders. That was an incredible accomplishment giving this message board a ton a street cred. from a real life perspective. Don't sell short some of the key players on this very board. They bleed husky blue and should be respected.

from a real life perspective, that should be applauded.....this is the boneyard and we are here to debate sport. the only thing in common, is that this platform through the organization and efforts by some, was able to make a real life difference. that is awesome but that doesnt mean we have to agree on the impact of a recruiting class.

caw

Reaction Score
We lost out on another recruit who is beneath are storied program... whats going on with our recruiting?

Huh? Which recruit are you referring to? UConn never recruited Johnson because they are pretty stocked at the 2-3 assuming Hamilton signs. Johnson's was choosing between UNC, UVA and IU. UConn never went after him because there was zero interest on either side once Hamilton verballed and still close to zero before then, bc Johnson blewup after Hamilton verballed.

Robinson is friends with Johnson, but IU is pretty crowded at the 1-3 and is likely targeting Goodluck next. I imagine they would love a class of Johnson, Robinson and Goodluck.

UConn is probably still the favorite or Robinson but needs that OV to happen and go well.

Reaction Score
no. what i will do is argue simply for the sake of arguing. i will break down how many times uconn will be on tv. i will pretend to get into the psyche of each recruit and tell this board why they will come to uconn. when they don't, i will move on the next recruit. rinse. repeat. until finally, we land our fourth or fifth option and i will applaud the staff for a job well done and believe that this said recruit is worthy simply because our coach signed him, even though we offered him very late in the process.

this is uconn basketball. kevin ollie inherited an elite program. to maintain that, he will have to recruit and will have to land some of his top targets. i still hold much hope for robinson and even hamilton to sign. somehow, if neither come, uconn can still be okay, if players like dd come back, with guys like kasongo and graham. but, over the long term, an elite program cannot sustain multiple years of missing out on top targets. stop pretending and arguing otherwise.

Well excuse me for pointing out that UConn will be on ESPN a lot, and for realizing this program has won with players who were not the #1 target. I should be like you: crying and whining!

Reaction Score
Jesus Shuttlesworth@_drobbbb 6m
I can't wait for this steak doeeee

Sorry for cyber-stalking and posting, but how riveting can the dinner conversation be if the kid is texting after ordering?

I'm generally surprised at the level of narration going on in the culture today. Bob Graham and Terence Malick absolutely love this turn of events.

Reaction Score
from a real life perspective, that should be applauded.....this is the boneyard and we are here to debate sport. the only thing in common, is that this platform through the organization and efforts by some, was able to make a real life difference. that is awesome but that doesnt mean we have to agree on the impact of a recruiting class.

:)

Did I ever tell you the story when I bought Magic Johnson a lap dance at a club named Omar's in Lansing?

pj

Reaction Score

Calhoun brought in a lot of players that fell below "uconn standard," whatever it is. Tell me which of these players are above your standard:
- Class of 2010: Michael Bradley, Tyler Olander, Enosch Wolf
- Class of 2009: Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Darius Smith, Jamaal Trice
- Class of 2008: Scott Haralson
- Class of 2007: Donnell Beverly
- Class of 2006: Ben Eaves, Jonathan Mandeldove
- Class of 2005: Craig Austrie, Robert Garrison

Then tell me one recruit Kevin Ollie has brought in who is worse than any of these. Tell me one guy we've offered that you know is worse than these.

Why so eager to bash our coach and our recruits?

Reaction Score
Oh , he likes steak! Indiana kicks the ever-loving hell out of Connecticut when it comes to steak. We're doomed!

Unless... maybe this kid like wings? Time to mobilize! #OperationBidwell

Waiting for his next tweet. I wonder if they overcooked it.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Bet everyone's crystal ball predicts Change to IU.

caw

Reaction Score
Calhoun brought in a lot of players that fell below "uconn standard," whatever it is. Tell me which of these players are above your standard:

Then tell me one recruit Kevin Ollie has brought in who is worse than any of these. Tell me one guy we've offered that you know is worse than these.

Brimah might be ranked lower than some of them. Same may be said about Tolksdorf. Not saying he is worse or better, just talking about ranking.

Other than that he has brought in:
Facey - top 100
Samuel - top 150
Purvis - top 20
Hamilton - top 20

You may count, as they may have committed to Calhoun but they stuck with Ollie.
Calhoun - top 40
Nolan - top 150

Overall that's two top 20, one top 40, one top 100, two top 150, and two lower ranked. That is all with massive recruiting impairments. I'd say that is darn impressive. That doesn't include Kromah or Evans (who helped a ton for depth).

Of course the other 5 players on the roster right now were all top 100 kids.

Napier - top 75ish
Boatright - top 50ish
Giffey - if US likely top 100
Daniels - top 10
Olander - top 100 in initial class

Looking at it, it shows how much the NCAA impaired recruiting last year and the year before. If Ollie can land one more top 100 kid this class will be better than most Calhoun classes. If they can land Robinson, they may have the first class with three McDAA ever at UConn. I think UConn still leads for Robinson, but Indiana will be tough. I wish everyone would wait to see how this class ends up before they pile on.

There is still the initial signing period, the coaching vacancy kids, the fifth year transfers and all the late signing period kids. I don't know who might not sign, or who might but I do know having Purvis puts UConn above every other team right now, until kids sign in the early signing period.

Recruiting is fun, and it's nice to get early verbals and not have to worry about late signings, but there is a ton o f time

Reaction Score
Brimah to me is one of those recruits where the recruiting ranking is sort of irrelevant. It was clear when we were getting outrebounded by 30 some nights that we needed a little bit of interior help right away for this coming season. Finding help in the spring can be slim pickins - yeah, sometimes you catch a break with an Okafor, or a decommit like Villanueva, but usually all the top talent is off the table. Brimah might have been the best big still available last year, so even though he was ranked low, he was still a key recruit because he was the closest thing we could find to fill an immediate need. It could turn out he may not help this year after all, but he has a better chance than an empty chair.

Same holds true for a Garrison, who was an emergency recruit that we plucked from prep school when we were suddenly without non-suspended point guards in July. Circumstances dictated that we needed someone off the scrap heap.

Reaction Score

Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Donnell and Austrie really contributed -IMO don't think the phrase "worse than " should apply to them

pj

Reaction Score
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, Donnell and Austrie really contributed -IMO don't think the phrase "worse than " should apply to them

Thanks for agreeing with me. For those who had trouble following the thread, I didn't say any player was worse than"uconn standard", djct1999 did. He declared a standard and I declared his standard unreasonable, as we can recruit below his standard and win national championships. If he thinks Ollie is recruiting worse than Calhoun he's just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom