No Whaley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Whaley

Reaction Score
Still can’t believe whalley didn’t play -wasn’t he up joking around and laughing two minutes after he fainted?

Reaction Score
Losing to a team you’re better than is not fun. I hope it doesn’t become a trend with this group.

Hurley officially makes me nervous.

A bad team getting beaten is one thing. Losing games you should win is harder to take. We saw this enough last year.
Hurley is great overall but his in game coaching is a problem. We have far too much talent to just telegraph it into Sanogo every possession, the ball is never coming back out and teams adjust. In bounds remains a huge problem and he tightens up like crazy at the end of games. We have the horses now, shouldn't be crumbling down the stretch like this.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
We need to finish, refs can't change the outcome of a game with clueless calls at the end

Reaction Score
What about Sanogo's last foul; looked like a good defensive play to me, but I didn't get to see a replay?

Reaction Score
Hurley is great overall but his in game coaching is a problem. We have far too much talent to just telegraph it into Sanogo every possession, the ball is never coming back out and teams adjust. In bounds remains a huge problem and he tightens up like crazy at the end of games. We have the horses now, shouldn't be crumbling down the stretch like this.

Whoever said a 7 point lead feels like a 4 point deficit nailed it.

Reaction Score
Not blaming the Refs for our loss today, even though they sucked.

Official Tony Padilla (Gonzaga alum) is such a putz. Direct quotes from him:
“In basketball, I’m the lawman. I’m putting the gavel down every time I put air in the whistle."

"I’m more of a quiet guy,” he said. “I don’t really stimulate much conversation [with the players]. I just try to go about my business under the radar. I let the game come to me. If I have to be bold and brash, then I increase the level of intensity. The more I can stay out of the way and let the players play and the coaches coach, the better off the game will be."

“Being a basketball official is kind of like the priesthood. You have a calling for it."

Also from the article: He started doing intramural games when he was a student at Gonzaga, where he was a member of the baseball team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2 things can be true at the same. UConn made a ton of mistakes late that cost them the game. (We did yesterday too but thankfully ended up with the W). But the refs tipped the scales late in a tight game. That shouldn’t be acceptable either.

I am not impressed with how this tournament has been run at all. Totally misseeded tournament with UConn-auburn having to play night 1 when they are clearly 2 of the better teams after Baylor. The winner having to play at Noon the next day. Bad officiating. Bad clock keeping. Hope it’s our last time there for a while. These tournaments do not make up for strong conference home and homes. We certainly would have had Whaley in that case.

Reaction Score
Being up 55-48 and not closing out the game is the real problem. Sanogo was good all game but when it’s not falling stop forcing it. 12 foot hook shots are not good offense down the stretch. Drive to the rim and get a call, obviously the refs had quick whistles. Like others said, Hurley doesn’t help himself in close games at all. He needs to learn how to draw things up that get the defense moving and in disarray. Our bench played terribly, all this Gaff hype seems to have wasted away because I think we’re just seeing his ceiling. Not quick enough, not strong enough, can’t really run an offense. Akok is a non factor on offense. And we really struggle to stay in front of people on the perimeter. Maybe AJ should stop goaltending too.

Reaction Score
We should be able to protect a 7 point lead, late in the game with bad refs.
You can't beat the refs and the other team down the stretch. Got lucky yesterday after 3 terrible calls but that takes the game away from the players control. You can wish they overcome everything but it doesn't work that way against good teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll have to watch that play again if he was out of bounds...but the view I saw was Tyrese had a solid rebound and he pushed his arm to wave off an M State player. Maybe he was out of bounds, didn't seem clearly explained on tv. But if he kept that possession Uconn keeps the 60-59 lead and has another opportunity to score. Otherwise, the baloney situation with Cole is what happened and is why we lost the game.

He was ridden out of bounds. Announcer originally thought that the foul was called.

Reaction Score
This and Cole being our one dimensional offense down the stretch is a problem that needs to be resolved. We need a plan B and Gaffney isn't it.

Reaction Score
Losing Cole on a bad call was a dagger. Gaffney just isn’t very good and the the offense falls apart when he has to lead it.
Yup. And this is why i refuse to join the bandwagon after a couple of good games against cupcakes. This is who he is. Has done it the last two seasons and continues this season.

Reaction Score
The recruiting has been great. But we need a stud PG recruit. The ceiling for a team led by Cole is probably the 2nd round. Maybe sweet 16. And obviously gaffney is not the answer. Jury still out in diggins.

Reaction Score
Right, Martin caught the rebound clean then was pushed out of bounds while he was still in the air. Should’ve been a foul on Michigan State.
Yup. It was clear as (expletive!!!) day!!! He went up and on the way down got shoved over about two feet and landed out. We did enough on our own to lose this game but the refs made sure we lost.

Reaction Score
You can't be in close games all the time without losing some.We had enough chances to win and didn't take advantage of them.
Don't blame the refs or you'll never win another game.
Learn from it and move on .

Reaction Score
We got boned by Hurley. Guy can’t close a game to save his life.
Absolutely no attack here just conversation but can Hurley shoot the ball for the players? They were 26% from the floor in the first half and only 35.9% overall (exact same for M St) 12.5% from three to 46.2%. Tired legs from OT game the day before? Not sure but this was one ugly shooting day. We saw air balls from the low post and shots way short hitting the rim with the upper portion of the ball.
Shooting from the bench was 2 for 14 not a lot of help there.

Officials made some mistakes for both teams. Obviously the call under the basket by the half court official with no possible sight line should have him reviewed. I understood the late turnover yesterday by Hawkins as a rookie learning experience but never expected the late one today by Martin that was the dagger.

Worse than the refs; how many bunnies did we miss today?
Agree, see above, it was ugly and not expected.

Reaction Score
The recruiting has been great. But we need a stud PG recruit. The ceiling for a team led by Cole is probably the 2nd round. Maybe sweet 16. And obviously gaffney is not the answer. Jury still out in diggins.
Why isn't Tasool Diggins getting minutes? I thought he was supposed to be instant impact as a frosh similar to Kalid El Amin during during his frosh year. I'd imagine at some point this year he'll get more minutes?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom