No, we should not join the MAC or any other non-P4 football conference. | The Boneyard

No, we should not join the MAC or any other non-P4 football conference.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Mathematically, it makes no sense for UConn to play in the MAC. With regards to basketball scheduling, we only get 11 non-conference games a year. At least 5 of them have to be big-name opponents. For instance, we play three games in Battle 4 Atlantis, one game in the Big 12-Big East challenge against WVU, and St. Bonaventure's (the best A-10 team) at a neutral site. That leaves six games. Every UConn fan's biggest issue with this year's schedule was the lack of a major home game OOC. There is no way that UConn could play even two MAC schools a year (one home and one away) and get the regular minimum of 16 home games a year.

Also, the MAC plays on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Attendance is already bad and would get way worse on a week night. Right now, every UConn game is on cable in CT, NY, and New England. Every basketball, women's basketball, or football game is either on a major national sports cable network or on SNY, NESN, ACC Network, or SEC Network. Why would UConn give that up to play football in the MAC, AAC, or any other G5 league? That's the real reason why UConn left. UConn was getting better ratings for women's basketball than Red Sox baseball in CT and ESPN and the AAC wanted to put their games and a lot of the football and basketball games on ESPN+. UConn said no.

With regards to the direction of the program: UConn stinks because they thought they could hire the guy that was successful before to resurrect the program-they thought wrong.

UConn will not be dropping to FCS or dropping the program. The proof of this is in our scheduling. We are scheduling teams like Ole Miss, UNC, NC State, Syracuse, BC, Army, etc. HOME and HOME. The fact that we can schedule these types of games says two things: 1) UConn has the brand to be FBS and 2) most of the ACC and a good portion of the B1G sees UConn as a peer school. You don't schedule those schools because you want to drop the sport.

The fix won't be easy but paying 5-6 million for a staff will get a lot of people interested in the head coaching position. UConn has a few big time donors that will help with that effort.

All in all, I think the reason that people want to see UConn out of the picture is twofold: 1) there is probably a lot of jealousy among G5 schools that UConn got promoted straight from FCS to a BCS conference ahead of all of them and 2) they are afraid UConn will be competitive again when they make a good hire and will be a top 40-50 program like they were in the Big East days.

Reaction Score
Good post, but what was this in response to? Did I miss some asinine article or something?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Good post, but what was this in response to? Did I miss some asinine article or something?
Some of our posters have suggested getting into a current G5 league for football.

Reaction Score
Nah, I'm with you. People underrate the CBS Sports deal for football. The games are produced so much better than the crappy ESPN+ games. My biggest worry is the product will have to improve to keep it. Dreadful doesn't begin to describe the team's play so far. It may not pay much, but its great to be on regular TV and I'm sure it can be beneficial to any future coach for recruiting purposes. I think, next to hiring Hurley, it may be Benedict's biggest accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Nah, I'm with you. People underrate the CBS Sports deal for football. The games are produced so much better than the crappy ESPN+ games. My biggest worry is the product will have to improve to keep it. Dreadful doesn't begin to describe the team's play so far. It may not pay much, but its great to be on regular TV and I'm sure it can be beneficial to any future coach for recruiting purposes. I think, next to hiring Hurley, it may be Benedict's biggest accomplishment.
I’m pretty sure the 500k is literally pocket change to CBS for all those hours of programming, regardless of the quality of our team. I’d think it is safe for now, but all the more reason to hire a good coach and amp up the product.

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure the 500k is literally pocket change to CBS for all those hours of programming, regardless of the quality of our team. I’d think it is safe for now, but all the more reason to hire a good coach and amp up the product.
It might be pocket change but that doesn't mean it's a good value for CBS. I'm not sure we'll ever know though since they don't publicize ratings for CBSSN.

Reaction Score
We won't know but CBSSN will. With the opponents DB has on schedule it may be well worth it off that alone. We shouldn't leave it to chance however. Invest in the program where respectability is the bare minimum expectation going forward.
It might be pocket change but that doesn't mean it's a good value for CBS. I'm not sure we'll ever know though since they don't publicize ratings for CBSSN.

Reaction Score
It is stupid talk dropping foot to FCS level. The $1.5M to $2M paydays will make it worth it alone.

For Uconn football to survive and thrive, we need a very good media deal. The CBSSN has been good so far, and it will be even better if Uconn can win and be competitive.

It is critical Uconn win now to attract more interest and eyeballs to the football program, which will translate into a much better higher playing media deal down the road. It is a good thing DB signed a very short term deal. The next hire is critical.

Reaction Score
Mathematically, it makes no sense for UConn to play in the MAC. With regards to basketball scheduling, we only get 11 non-conference games a year. At least 5 of them have to be big-name opponents. For instance, we play three games in Battle 4 Atlantis, one game in the Big 12-Big East challenge against WVU, and St. Bonaventure's (the best A-10 team) at a neutral site. That leaves six games. Every UConn fan's biggest issue with this year's schedule was the lack of a major home game OOC. There is no way that UConn could play even two MAC schools a year (one home and one away) and get the regular minimum of 16 home games a year.

Also, the MAC plays on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Attendance is already bad and would get way worse on a week night. Right now, every UConn game is on cable in CT, NY, and New England. Every basketball, women's basketball, or football game is either on a major national sports cable network or on SNY, NESN, ACC Network, or SEC Network. Why would UConn give that up to play football in the MAC, AAC, or any other G5 league? That's the real reason why UConn left. UConn was getting better ratings for women's basketball than Red Sox baseball in CT and ESPN and the AAC wanted to put their games and a lot of the football and basketball games on ESPN+. UConn said no.

With regards to the direction of the program: UConn stinks because they thought they could hire the guy that was successful before to resurrect the program-they thought wrong.

UConn will not be dropping to FCS or dropping the program. The proof of this is in our scheduling. We are scheduling teams like Ole Miss, UNC, NC State, Syracuse, BC, Army, etc. HOME and HOME. The fact that we can schedule these types of games says two things: 1) UConn has the brand to be FBS and 2) most of the ACC and a good portion of the B1G sees UConn as a peer school. You don't schedule those schools because you want to drop the sport.

The fix won't be easy but paying 5-6 million for a staff will get a lot of people interested in the head coaching position. UConn has a few big time donors that will help with that effort.

All in all, I think the reason that people want to see UConn out of the picture is twofold: 1) there is probably a lot of jealousy among G5 schools that UConn got promoted straight from FCS to a BCS conference ahead of all of them and 2) they are afraid UConn will be competitive again when they make a good hire and will be a top 40-50 program like they were in the Big East days.
we are not seen as a peer school. We are an easy win against an FBS school.

Reaction Score
we are not seen as a peer school. We are an easy win against an FBS school.
Considering some. Of those games are 7-10 years put, I’m not sure that is true. UMass doesn’t get the quality of home-home deals we do. Get the right staff in here and it is possible to make progress. Look at Baylor, dreadful and scandal plagued or Temple who was as bad as we are for a longer stretch, or Army. They all got better coaches and are now at least competitive.

Reaction Score
Considering some. Of those games are 7-10 years put, I’m not sure that is true. UMass doesn’t get the quality of home-home deals we do. Get the right staff in here and it is possible to make progress. Look at Baylor, dreadful and scandal plagued or Temple who was as bad as we are for a longer stretch, or Army. They all got better coaches and are now at least competitive.
All except Army are in a conference and Army can schedule a number of teams just because they are Army. I agree independnece right now is the better option as the AAC implosion is happening. Long term, conference affiliation just for FB is probably better.

The biggest obstacle for UConn being independent is losing a designation as a P5 opponent for the B1G and ACC which they had when these games were scheduled and UConn was in the AAC. Add in the conferences adding 1 additional in conference game every year, the ACC, B1G, PAC alliance for games and the home and home opportunities for UConn have a high potential to be reduced.

I also remain concerned that at 7-5, UConn gets left out of bowls as an independent. And if you want to dream, possibly left out of any playoff scenario in a 1 loss season.

that leads to joining some conference in the future as a better option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom