No View From Section 241 This Week | The Boneyard

No View From Section 241 This Week

Reaction Score
As a little kid I was taught if you don't have anything good to say, don't say it. There is nothing helpful to say about Saturday night's loss. Let's see what we see against URI, and then there may be more to talk about. Unfortunately, none of that may be good either. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Just a very unfortunate schedule arrangement for such a young team. The two hardest games on their schedule in the first two weeks before the team can really get any kind of continuity going. Just one tough break for this program after another. I really want to see these guys put it past them and come out with a huge chip on their shoulder and just decimate URI. Then go up to the Carrier Dome and give the Orange a run for their money. Let that game be decided in the fourth quarter.

Reaction Score
Nothing worse than a long road trip to play a good team with a young one. It had disaster wtitten all over it before the bus left the parking lot at Storrs. Remember that for half the team their longest road trip before this had been a bus ride about as long as the ride to Bradley.

Reaction Score
Just a very unfortunate schedule arrangement for such a young team. The two hardest games on their schedule in the first two weeks before the team can really get any kind of continuity going. Just one tough break for this program after another. I really want to see these guys put it past them and come out with a huge chip on their shoulder and just decimate URI. Then go up to the Carrier Dome and give the Orange a run for their money. Let that game be decided in the fourth quarter.

It is pretty friggin incredible to place a YOUNG YOUNG team into that boiling pot of dangerous solid teams. Those two, I trust, will show their quality all year. We are really playing for development and improvement to fight for wins in our last 6 games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is pretty friggin incredible to place a YOUNG YOUNG team into that boiling pot of dangerous solid teams. Those two, I trust, will show their quality all year. We are really playing for development and improvement to fight for wins in our last 6 games.

Funny when I pointed out all offseason that Benedict was a clown for allowing them to get scheduled against UCF on opening night I heard every excuse up to and including the players welcomed the challenge and it’s a great opportunity for an upset on National TV of the defending Helms champion.

237-14 later it’s wow - that was pretty stupid in retrospect.

Reaction Score
I am not sure what you could have done. We are not going to walk away from contractual obligations when there are significant bucks attached.

Scheduling, as HCRE pointed out, in our early 2000-2004 period was handled with kid gloves. Bring in the Big Name Indiana University Hoosiers - a Program that was more name than real B1G. Play a few tough regionals. Today, Benedict does not have too much to avoid with that Conference slate.

Then ...

“Take a look at Boise State,” Edsall said. “They lost coaches, and what did they do? They promoted coaches from within. They kept the same system all the way through. … Because those [coaches] knew what it took to be successful there, and they kept it going. That didn’t happen here, so that’s what we’re working through right now.”

I think UConn Football, to be successful, is a fairly finite structural recruiting success pattern, Pasqualoni could grab some kids through relationships; but, truly did not develop or find the "under the radar". And Diaco is clueless. What if ... we had hired Moorhead or Orlando to pick up Randy's design. Both, from all you can seem, are outstanding coaches that have advanced. We would have been better off.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am not sure what you could have done. We are not going to walk away from contractual obligations when there are significant bucks attached.

Scheduling, as HCRE pointed out, in our early 2000-2004 period was handled with kid gloves. Bring in the Big Name Indiana University Hoosiers - a Program that was more name than real B1G. Play a few tough regionals. Today, Benedict does not have too much to avoid with that Conference slate.

Then ...

“Take a look at Boise State,” Edsall said. “They lost coaches, and what did they do? They promoted coaches from within. They kept the same system all the way through. … Because those [coaches] knew what it took to be successful there, and they kept it going. That didn’t happen here, so that’s what we’re working through right now.”

I think UConn Football, to be successful, is a fairly finite structural recruiting success pattern, Pasqualoni could grab some kids through relationships; but, truly did not develop or find the "under the radar". And Diaco is clueless. What if ... we had hired Moorhead or Orlando to pick up Randy's design. Both, from all you can seem, are outstanding coaches that have advanced. We would have been better off.

One would hope that the school has enough punch to get out of that opener with UCF.

It’s not like it was some hot matchup TV demanded - it was on ESPNU.

Obviously there was nothing that could be done about going to Boise.

Reaction Score
Funny when I pointed out all offseason that Benedict was a clown for allowing them to get scheduled against UCF on opening night I heard every excuse up to and including the players welcomed the challenge and it’s a great opportunity for an upset on National TV of the defending Helms champion.

237-14 later it’s wow - that was pretty stupid in retrospect.

Excuse? It's not Benedict's call when conference games are played. We both know you know that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We were good conference partners to UCF. Defending champs wanted a cupcake win to open their season and hoped that we could deliver them more eyeballs in the northeast. ESPNU was because we are terrible, not a reflection on UCF. If we were anything other than a complete dumpster fire, the game would have been on a higher profile channel.

Reaction Score

Then ...

Schools underestimate the damage caused by installing completely new coaches and systems. I like what BSU did. And he is right. UConn coulda done the same. There were multiple feasible options. The New York Times did a study on this in 2012 or 2013 I think.

Reaction Score
We were good conference partners to UCF. Defending champs wanted a cupcake win to open their season and hoped that we could deliver them more eyeballs in the northeast. ESPNU was because we are terrible, not a reflection on UCF. If we were anything other than a complete dumpster fire, the game would have been on a higher profile channel.
Should been USF, Memphis, or Houston, not us. There is a reason Notre Dame and Michigan played when they did. Kicked off the FB season with a bang and a huge audience.

Reaction Score
Looking at these games I like many hoped but didn't really believe they could compete.
IF they do not show vast improvement against URI(regardless of the crowd)the team is either not heading in the right direction or moving much too slowly. Whatever they call it, it is D1 vs 1 AA. This should be a convincing dominant win, considering how much slower and weaker the players on URI look compared to what they have been playing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

ESPN had a Big 10 game and ESPN2 had the US Open... there was never a home other than U for that game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Excuse? It's not Benedict's call when conference games are played. We both know you know that.

If you can’t influence your conference to not set you up for the ultimate failure what the hell are you doing?

How little influence does this school have that with a trip to Boise on deck the conference put it’s worst program up against it’s best for no reason?

Obviously the schools have some impact on the conference schedule because out of conference games need to be scheduled first.

Dooley

Reaction Score
ESPN had a Big 10 game and ESPN2 had the US Open... there was never a home other than U for that game.

Yup, that's why we made sense for UCF/AAC and they didn't seek out a more high profile game. Easy win on one of their lower rung networks.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Should been USF, Memphis, or Houston, not us. There is a reason Notre Dame and Michigan played when they did. Kicked off the FB season with a bang and a huge audience.

No. UCF can't play a high profile AAC game against USF/Memphis/Houston on ESPNU. UCF/USF was a huge draw last year on ABC. As @whaler11 mentioned, ESPN already committed to the Big 10 and the US Open was on the Deuce. Like it or not, we're the cupcake on our conference mates' schedules. Easy W w/some TV exposure.

Reaction Score
Boise is a good model.

They play a fairly open Passing Offense (might be different schemes over 4 coaches) and a physical defense. I like them more than UCF.

It’s Idaho. Their comparative advantage is they have loose academic constraints and admission. The PAC 12 schools can’t reach for kids like Boise + Boise (most likely) has majors/fields of study that Berkeley can’t possibly support. JuCo and the broad range of California Public / Christian programs are their target; they have the capacity to be a solid choice for quality guys.

We should have a solid concept construct for Football. Prep. But the three wildly divergent new startups put you treading water.

Reaction Score
If you can’t influence your conference to not set you up for the ultimate failure what the hell are you doing?

How little influence does this school have that with a trip to Boise on deck the conference put it’s worst program up against it’s best for no reason?

Obviously the schools have some impact on the conference schedule because out of conference games need to be scheduled first.

If you can't influence your conference? You whined bloody murder when you thought the conference did what UCF wanted it to do (with not basis for that conclusion by the way). So is your position the conference should or shouldn't take scheduling orders from members? or does it depend on which makes the UConn administration look worse?

Hint -- the last question was rhetorical.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you can't influence your conference? You whined bloody murder when you thought the conference did what UCF wanted it to do (with not basis for that conclusion by the way). So is your position the conference should or shouldn't take scheduling orders from members? or does it depend on which makes the UConn administration look worse?

Hint -- the last question was rhetorical.

LOL - the conference did do exactly what USF (I assume you mean USF) wanted and then set UConn up to fail as spectacularly as any team has failed in 20 years.

Thanks for helping to make the point that USF has influence and UConn doesn’t.

I don’t have to make anyone at UConn look bad - they are running a clown show that bungles something new every time you turn around.

Maybe this hurricane can get us a Sunday home game again to be played in front of 10 people against the NFL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom