No UCONN/TULSA game on TV Saturday Only ESPN3? | The Boneyard

No UCONN/TULSA game on TV Saturday Only ESPN3?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Is that correct? It seems like we go through this every year with that first Conference Tournament game. Like it would kill ESPN and the American Conf. to allow SNY to broadcast this game! I can get ESPN 3 but it's nowhere near as clean or enjoyable a viewing experience. And I know a lot of people can't get it at all. Too bad.

Reaction Score
I thought I saw on the UConnHuskies.com website for that game on Saturday that there was a button to click "watch live" or am I hallucinating?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I thought I saw on the UConnHuskies.com website for that game on Saturday that there was a button to click "watch live" or am I hallucinating?

I won't say you were hallucinating but I don't see anything like that there now.

Reaction Score
When I watch UCONN games from Ohio on ESPN3, it's the SNY feed that I'm getting. So, if tomorrow's game is on ESPN3, but not via SNY, is it actually being done by ESPN people?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
When I watch UCONN games from Ohio on ESPN3, it's the SNY feed that I'm getting. So, if tomorrow's game is on ESPN3, but not via SNY, is it actually being done by ESPN people?

I don't know who actually "produces" the broadcast (It may be ESPN). There is a crew that's designated to do the day's games for the American Conference. They usually do all the games for at least the first couple of days. When they get to the last couple of games they may or may not plug in the higher powered On Air talent to call the championship rounds.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Well that sounds like it's for the people who subscribe to the gamecasts through UCONN. I doubt that it would be free at this point.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

The AAC has a TV deal for WBB that most folks probably haven't seen, since UConn is never in those games. They webcast them on the conference site/ESPN3, plus some end up in syndication on the American Sports Network (in CT, that'd be NESN and NESN+).

My guess is that they're the ones doing the production for the first two days.

If you're from outside the CT area and watch the games through ESPN3, tomorrow's game is the exact same experience for you.

If you're used to watching UConn on SNY, you will be able to watch the game tomorrow (if you get SNY, you get ESPN, which means you can watch it on ESPN3), but you won't be able to just turn your TV to a specific channel.

Reaction Score

I get ESPN, ESPN-2, and SNY. Should I be able to get the game on the last one?

Reaction Score
I have an amazon streaming device just so that I can stream watch espn to my tv without any glitches. One time $89 purchesa allows me to view tons of games.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I will not be able to record this game, but I will be able to watch the game.

Husky Nation,
Kia will be available for this game. She will play limited minutes. Also, Kia has practiced with the team, and the training staff has been monitoring her, to make sure she isn't experiencing any pain, etc.

Reaction Score

Husky Nation,
Kia will be available for this game. She will play limited minutes. Also, Kia has practiced with the team, and the training staff has been monitoring her, to make sure she isn't experiencing any pain, etc.

Please say that is not true, just signed up to ESPN 3 Streaming but won't be home untill game is over. Can't go back in to watch then ?

Husky Nation,

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
From the article: "None of today’s games or Saturday’s games, including the Huskies’ quarterfinal matchup against the winner of today’s 4 p.m. game between No. 8 Memphis and No. 9 Tulsa, will be televised."

Funny, here I am in New Mexico and I saw the first two of the three games played in the AAC Tournament on Friday on TV. That seems to be within the definition of "televised." Maybe the writer of this article meant to say that the games would not be televised on certain major networks, but the games nevertheless were indeed "televised" within the definition of that term. As for details, I saw the games on ESPN 3 via the WATCH ESPN app on my Apple TV (Bob Picozzi and Katie Smith announcing). If you get ESPN on your cable or satellite service and want to be able to watch miscellaneous sports events, including UConn games, not otherwise shown on major stations, I recommend a relatively inexpensive item like Apple TV (disclosure: I own Apple stock) which simply plugs into your TV via an HDMI cable. During the regular season, I get SNY on Directv to see the Huskies play. But if I didn't I could watch the SNY games on ESPN 3. It's a little bit of a "luxury" (well, not really) but certainly worth it to watch our favorite women's basketball team. And I will be watching the Huskies vs. Tulsa on television today at around 12:30 MST.

PS: The Watch ESPN app also gave us access to the incredible Oscar winning documentary "O.J.: Made in America." Just finished it last night. It's long but incredibly interesting.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I get ESPN, ESPN-2, and SNY. Should I be able to get the game on the last one?

You can watch it on ESPN3 on your computer if your cable provider is signed up to provide it. It also works if you have Directv or you get your TV through ATT.

SNY has nothing to do with today's AAC telecasts. They're totally an ESPN production.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Please say that is not true, just signed up to ESPN 3 Streaming but won't be home untill game is over. Can't go back in to watch then ?

If you get ESPN3, it won't matter if you miss it live. They store all the games for viewing at your convenience. Just click on the "Replay" tab and it will list all the games whenever you're free to watch.

Reaction Score

You CAN watch finished games on ESPN3. Just make sure it's over, then you'll need to work your way through the ESPN3 menu to find it.

Reaction Score
On Directv, there are some channels that carry ESPN3 games. Not all of them, but some of the games. But they didn't play UConn on it. They played some women's games with teams that I can't imagine more than a handful of people would actually watch. Wouldn't it be in their own interest to put on the history making, performance art team of basketball magicians? I think more than a few heads would direct their eyeballs in that direction. And I wouldn't have had to fiddle with the HDMI cable to connect my computer to the TV.

Reaction Score
I have an amazon streaming device just so that I can stream watch espn to my tv without any glitches. One time $89 purchesa allows me to view tons of games.

Paid too much! (kidding)

I'm assuming you got the regular Amazon Fire device (which actually I bought for my parents this Christmas) but the Amazon Fire Stick is less than half the price ($40 - occasionally even less on sale, mine was $20 but that's rare) and the Google Chromecast is less ($35). I carry both those devices with me on the road since, as an airline pilot, I'm away from home more than I'm there and hotel TV generally sucks (sorry for using the technical term). As well, Apple and Rokyu also make "dongles" - devices that are about the size of your thumb and plug into the HDMI port on your television. All of these devices rely on WiFi and HDMI port, important to know if you're going to buy one.

Generally when traveling I prefer the Fire Stick - with an Amazon Prime account it opens up a ton of options. It is app-driven and requires a remote (it comes with a remote and will supposedly pair with universal remotes and/or Alexa (Echo)), while the Chromecast can actually cast (send) anything on your computer/tablet/cell to your TV as long as you're viewing it through the Google Chrome browser; it also has apps, but is far more flexible. The downside of the Chromecast is that in most cases it is difficult if not impossible to log in to a WiFi network that has a complex log in - by complex, I mean a dedicated screen and/or multiple log-in entries - such as name and room number. Supposedly the folks at Google are working changing that but for now I can use it at less than 10% of the hotels I stay in. At home, I prefer the Chromecast, while on the road I use the Fire Stick; I watched yesterday's game against Tulsa on ESPN3 via the Chromecast at home.

In this day and age it's a small investment compared to the immense gains. Most importantly as a UConn fan it opens up both ESPN3 if I'm traveling, and via YouTube Husky Games so I can watch the past games on the big TV instead of the tablet. Life is good.

Caveat - some apps/services such as WatchESPN/ESPN3 do require a cable/broadband provider verification - I piggyback off the family Optimum account so I get them all on the road, but it would be good to check this before buyig a dongle. Basically, if you can get ESPN3 on your computer or tablet you should be good on the dongle as well. And Husky Games (YouTube) is always good....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you get ESPN3, it won't matter if you miss it live. They store all the games for viewing at your convenience. Just click on the "Replay" tab and it will list all the games whenever you're free to watch.
Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Currently, there are not games available under the "Replay" tab.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom