No transfers or portal pickups? | The Boneyard

No transfers or portal pickups?

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
With the high turnover of most college rosters, no movement from the Huskies is yet another reason why the program is unique.

I have some opinions why.

1. They may have kicked the tires at some potential bigs but I am guessing they felt Ice Brady is close to being fully recovered and will contribute significantly this season.

2. With a bigger roster than normal, some may have explored other opportunities but in the end, UConn "culture" (really an overplayed term) won out.

3. They have to catch a break with injuries but the players know this could be a special season.

4. UConn must be doing a good job with NIL opportunities.

Reaction Score
if I simply wanted to experience big time basketball with great odds of making it to the Final Four, I'd say a transfer to UConn would have been ideal..............if I also wanted substantial minutes on the court I'd quickly run in the other direction unless I was one of the top 5-6 transfers.....

Reaction Score
Not too many out there that are better than what UCONN already has. I thought they shouldn't have taken people in the Portal in the past and this year was no exception for me. My point is if you aren't losing people in the portal then you don't need to pick people up in the portal.

Reaction Score
UConn rosters,
Paige Bueckers: After sitting out the entirety of 2022-23 with an ACL tear in her left knee, Bueckers should come into next season hungry with a lot to prove. Having her back on the floor will provide an immediate boost.

Azzi Fudd: Fudd provided a big boost to the Huskies and was certainly getting there but never looked completely back. Now she’ll have the offseason to get back into true form.

Aaliyah Edwards: With Juhász moving on to the next chapter of her career, Edwards will be the Huskies’ most experienced player down low. The 6-3 forward will look to build off the best season of her career, in which she was named a third team All-American and averaged a team-high 16.6 points along with 9.0 rebounds and 2.4 assists while shooting a team-high 58.9% from the field.

Nika Mühl: Mühl stepped up big time as the’ starting point guard in Bueckers’ absence. She broke Sue Bird’s single-season assist record in the process, setting the new mark at 284 assists, and also averaged 7.1 points, 3.9 rebounds and 1.4 steals in a team-high 36.6 minutes per game.

Aubrey Griffin: Griffin was eligible for the 2023 WNBA Draft, but chose to return to Storrs for her redshirt senior season. After sitting out 2021-22 with injury, Griffin started 30 of 35 games this season. The 6-1 forward often did the little things that made the difference on both ends of the floor while averaging career highs of 11.3 points, 6.6 assists and 1.4 steals in 30.5 minutes per game.

Caroline Ducharme: After a breakout freshman year, Ducharme was hampered by injuries in her sophomore season. The 6-2 guard missed the first game with neck stiffness, which she continued to deal with throughout the year, and later missed 13 games with a concussion midseason. Ducharme will use the offseason to focus on getting healthy.

Ayanna Patterson: Patterson appeared in 30 games in her freshman season, averaging 2.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in 10 minutes per game off the bench. The 6-2 forward impressed UConn coach Geno Auriemma with her dedication to improve throughout the year and she’ll look to continue that growth this offseason.

Inês Bettencourt: Bettencourt went from an unknown late addition following Bueckers’ injury to a backup option for Mühl. She appeared in 25 games, averaging 1.4 points and 1.2 assists in 9.0 minutes, highlighted by hitting game-sealing free throws when Mühl went down with a concussion against Princeton in December.

Amari DeBerry: DeBerry played limited minutes off the bench in her second season in Storrs. The 6-5 forward appeared in 26 games, averaging 2.2 points, 1.7 rebounds in 8.2 minutes per contest. She’ll need to further improve her game this offseason in order to crack the rotation as a junior.

Ice Brady: Brady had to sit out her first season at UConn after suffering a dislocated patella in her right knee in late October. The coaching staff was high on her before that and she’s progressed well in her recovery, even participating in some drills with the team in postseason practices.

Jana El Alfy: El Alfy came to campus as an early enrollee in January with the hopes of making her transition to UConn from Cairo, Egypt, easier. She didn’t play in games, but participated in practice and other team activities. That should pay dividends for the 6-4 center, especially so since Auriemma seemed high on her versatile skillset and the Huskies will need help down low next season.

KK Arnold: Arnold is the highest ranked player in the incoming 2023 class, rated the No. 6 overall player by ESPN and a McDonald’s All-American. The five-star point guard from Germantown, Wisconsin, brings an aggressive mindset and tempo on both ends of the floor with a proven ability to drive and finish through contact.

Ashlynn Shade: The No. 15-ranked player in the 2023 class, Shade is a versatile guard with an ability to score at all three levels. She spent her senior season at prep school La Lumiere after being named the Gatorade Indiana Girls Basketball Player of the Year in her junior year at her local high school in Noblesville, Indiana.

Qadence Samuels: Samuels adds length and athleticism to the Huskies as a 6-2 wing out of Forestville, Maryland. Ranked as the No. 41 player in the 2023 class, Samuels played high school for Bishop McNamera in the WCAC, one of the top leagues in the country. Though it might take her some time to adjust, she excels at playing in transition, is a good shooter and could develop into an elite defend

Reaction Score
Ha, maybe CD like camels. If I had the opportunity for an all expenses paid trip to Egypt and ride a camel, I'd be packing my bags. Bills Fan, how do you feel about buffalos?

Reaction Score
Not too many out there that are better than what UCONN already has. I thought they shouldn't have taken people in the Portal in the past and this year was no exception for me. My point is if you aren't losing people in the portal then you don't need to pick people up in the portal.
Yes, UConn has a ton of talent. But they do have a weakness. They lack PROVEN experience in the post. We are thin in experience with our "centers" or "power forwards". One is great, two hardly played last year, and the last two have never played a minute of college basketball. A fifth year senior trying to max out there ability may want to come to UConn to get, or we might benefit from a player whose experience alone may help in critical situations. Last year we got a guard from Fairfield who because of her experience didn't get rattled under pressure. The only kid left is the girl from I believe BYU who just plays hard and has a knack for getting to the glass. Remember how stacked some of these other teams are.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Bills Fan, I agree with your thinking that Geno is happy with the skills of both Jana and Ice and their progress to date. We’re guessing and hoping. All we’ve seen is videos. He’s not. He saw them every day live. He knows. My biggest concern is not who starts or plays at the 5. My main concern is the overall health of all of our players.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I guess you forgot that both Dorka and Lou were from the portal. In your opinion how did that work out for UConn?

Reaction Score
I guess you forgot that both Dorka and Lou were from the portal. In your opinion how did that work out for UConn?
Agreed, both were key additions that filled critical needs. This year we only really had one need, and it probably couldn't be called critical, more of a want than a need. We had two talented newcomers to compete at the 5, but they are both freshmen. Only a proven excellent experienced true C could make a big difference. Only one was of interest and even for Betts she didn't meet the experience requirement, but it didn't matter because she wasn't that interested in us.

That's it one difference maker that we didn't get. The scenario was entirely different for some other teams. Both LSU and South Carolina had more pressing needs at guard, where there were numerous top candidates in this year's portal. It was obvious they both would get a good one because there were a good half dozen or more to choose from. Even if they didn't get their first choice, plan B and plan C were still difference makers, so they were going to get someone that could help, the only question was who.

I also would disagree with Rowdy831's opinion that if you don't lose anyone in the portal you don't need to get anyone. You don't always get what you want in recruiting. Sometimes you might target say 3 players for a certain position and not wind up getting any of them. At that point the portal offers a potential quick and potentially short term fix. you could target that position again in the next high school class, but a grad transfer could be a perfect one year fix.

In terms of next season fixes there are now three different periods that are important. You hopefully satisfy your needs with the incoming recruiting class. Then you can fill in for recruiting misses and/or departures in the portal, along with fine tuning needs, and if there still is a problem after the portal adjustments, foreign prospects are your third and final option.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ha, maybe CD like camels. If I had the opportunity for an all expenses paid trip to Egypt and ride a camel, I'd be packing my bags. Bills Fan, how do you feel about buffalos?
I’ll bet CD could have taken a pass on riding that camel, but being the trooper she is, took one for the team and climbed aboard. I commented at the time that her riding that camel illustrated the lengths some coaches will go to - to recruit a player. That showed how much they wanted Jana. I’m more than happy that she chose to come to UConn.

I hope to see enough of our incoming freshmen this summer to get an idea of where they are with respect to blending in with their new teammates during the 3 exhibition games UConn is scheduled to play during their European tour. We may not get to see them that much before the holiday break.

After thought......I wonder if Geno would have ridden a camel if he had made that recruiting trip. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’ll bet CD could have taken a pass on riding that camel, but being the trooper she is, took one for the team and climbed aboard. I commented at the time that her riding that camel illustrated the lengths some coaches will go to - to recruit a player. That showed how much they wanted Jana. I’m more than happy that she chose to come to UConn.

I hope to see enough of our incoming freshmen this summer to get an idea of where they are with respect to blending in with their new teammates during the 3 exhibition games UConn is scheduled to play during their European tour. We may not get to see them that much before the holiday break.

After thought......I wonder if Geno would have ridden a camel if he had made that recruiting trip. :rolleyes:
If St. John’s had recruited Jana, Coach Tartamella could have been Joe Camel.

Reaction Score
Dorka and Lou both came on board when we had injuries at guard and lacked depth in our bigs. While I would also like to see 4's and 5's with more experience, we already have 14 players on the roster and are deep in every position (biggest roster I remember in 30 years of watching UConn). Who would you recruit that offers a higher ceiling than the existing players?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Dorka and Lou both came on board when we had injuries at guard and lacked depth in our bigs. While I would also like to see 4's and 5's with more experience, we already have 14 players on the roster and are deep in every position (biggest roster I remember in 30 years of watching UConn). Who would you recruit that offers a higher ceiling than the existing players?
Lou committed in April 2022, well before Paige & Azzi were injured, so it was added depth at the time, and Geno was clear to Lou on no promises on playing time. Fast forward to August, and Lou's presence became much more important.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The only person that was out for the season when Dorka came on board was Aubrey. They had Olivia, Aaliyah, Evina, plus two big freshman in Amari and Piath.

Reaction Score
If there was need, why not, but I believe in the team's recruiting and it has been a long time since we've seen such a numerous roster

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom