No Tenn game in 2015 more to come | Page 6 | The Boneyard

No Tenn game in 2015 more to come

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller6:08pm via TweetDeck
Word is that #UConn football program is close to announcing home and home series with high-profile program for later this decade

NHRJimFuller6:08pm via TweetDeck
#UConn is still talking to teams to fill slots in 2015 and 2016 left by suspension of series with Tennessee

Terrific. We need something to aim for on that scheduling calendar. Okay cue the guesses....

I'm going with ND (thank you Diaco) and the home will be at a TBD venue, maybe the Yale Bowl.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People really need to not complain about basketball season tickets.

The " value" season ticket plan at XL AND Gampel cost about $18 bucks a game with no donation. Seats were high up at XL but in GP the seats were in the corner.

Not saying this to anyone specifically but I've read on here multiple times how people were priced out and it's too expensive. It's just not the case.

…anymore.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
I think what all of you guys are underestimating is how badly CR has damaged the program. 9 wins a year and conference titles going to the Motor City Bowl is not going to put the casual fans in the seats. The novelty of UConn has worn out in this state over the last 20 years. During a national championship season in 2011 you could've easily gotten a ticket to just about any basketball game. I think you guys are kidding yourselves a bit.

Then give up and pack it in. See you when we hit the B1G.

Reaction Score
If you're gonna "be" big time, then you need to play big time programs and win your share against those schools. Otherwise you could have gone to Memorial Stadium to see UConn win against CAA teams.

Good idea. Let us schedule alab., tx., mich and more. It's who you are playing tht matter, forget about being blown out. The following year ND will be begging us to play; afterall, the focus will be on the schedule not that the big boys ran over us as straws. Recruits will see us on tv being demolished and the recruiting lines will light-up; afterall, the underdog, the overmatched, those who are so willing to get creamed, etc are all positive positions of power. I have been a student at Uconn many decades ago, but I have also been at Berkeley, UT-Austin and Washington. You could not get anywhere near those Univ on game day. That is football culture and we don't have. We can begin to build it, but it is a lot more then a group of boneyarder shouting about why we are not there, yet. As one poster writes above: can we fill a third of the stadium with our own fans at mich and enough of the parking lots around to show that we came, played and had fun? No. We talk, fictively, about having the NY mkt, but that is bs. New Yorkers will not necessarily travel to Conn for football- if they are even interested. It is a mkt that we can, maybe, nurse-- but I don't we can move bodies- so it would have to be tv. But it would be nice to try. Our games with Rutgers certainly didn't change much. I think our leaders are doing the wise thing which is to use the monies we have amassed constructively and not stuff our mouth with more then we can chew.

Reaction Score
Good idea. Let us schedule alab., tx., mich and more. It's who you are playing tht matter, forget about being blown out. The following year ND will be begging us to play; afterall, the focus will be on the schedule not that the big boys ran over us as straws. Recruits will see us on tv being demolished and the recruiting lines will light-up; afterall, the underdog, the overmatched, those who are so willing to get creamed, etc are all positive positions of power. I have been a student at Uconn many decades ago, but I have also been at Berkeley, UT-Austin and Washington. You could not get anywhere near those Univ on game day. That is football culture and we don't have. We can begin to build it, but it is a lot more then a group of boneyarder shouting about why we are not there, yet. As one poster writes above: can we fill a third of the stadium with our own fans at mich and enough of the parking lots around to show that we came, played and had fun? No. We talk, fictively, about having the NY mkt, but that is bs. New Yorkers will not necessarily travel to Conn for football- if they are even interested. It is a mkt that we can, maybe, nurse-- but I don't we can move bodies- so it would have to be tv. But it would be nice to try. Our games with Rutgers certainly didn't change much. I think our leaders are doing the wise thing which is to use the monies we have amassed constructively and not stuff our mouth with more then we can chew.

HJ - It bugs me about how impatient college football fans can be. Youthful emotion and enthusiasm is what makes college football and basketball so much more fun and exciting than their pro counterparts. Having said that, too much emotion also can create unrealistic expectations. What UCONN has accomplished in D-1 athletics over the past 25 years (football in a little over 10) is truly amazing and the envy of many across the nation. As hugely successful as our Men's and Women's Basketball teams have been, football (past 3 years aside) has possibly been more successful due to the degree of difficulty and length of time. When Bob Diaco viewed the UCONN head job he saw OPPORTUNITY. He saw the base that Edsal and co. built - Rentschler field, Burton Family football complex, Shenkman training center. He also saw Gampel Pavilion etc. He saw the New York and New England market as well as a league that UCONN has an opportunity to be a King pin in. He felt Ward Manual's and Susan Herbst's commitment. He also saw the opportunity to in time, move to a P5. He saw the league championships, BSC bowl, Papa John bowl win over SC, and of course the Notre Dame victory in South Bend. I see Diaco becoming another Chris Peterson stature wise (certainly not personality). Granted there are a lot more things to distract in the busy Northeast than Boise Idaho, however winning is contagious and everyone wants to be a part of it. Like great wine or cheese, there is a natural aging process that is required. No, UCONN is not ready for prime time just yet, however, if we all have a little patience with Bob Diaco and crew, this just could be a very fun and enjoyable ride. Let's just do our best as excited little pups to keep expectations a little closer to reality. Look around there are not too many Boise State's. Although Northern IL, the other Huskies seem like they are becoming the Boise of the Mid West. So with BYU and Boise State coming to town this year, I am hoping that we can show the college football world that big time college football is alive and well in East Hartford, CT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Terrific. We need something to aim for on that scheduling calendar. Okay cue the guesses....

I'm going with ND (thank you Diaco) and the home will be at a TBD venue, maybe the Yale Bowl.
My guess: The Sooners- already have a yearly relationship with them in WBB, & they'd love to play a game in NY Metro area. Home & Home with a 3rd neutral site game in the Meadowlands.
A second choice would be to rekindle the series with W.Va., although I don't see any advantage in it for the Mounties.

Reaction Score
My guess: The Sooners- already have a yearly relationship with them in WBB, & they'd love to play a game in NY Metro area. Home & Home with a 3rd neutral site game in the Meadowlands.
A second choice would be to rekindle the series with W.Va., although I don't see any advantage in it for the Mounties.

Easier travel for them, vs. their conference travel.

Reaction Score

HJ---like your points but need to qualify the NY market. Are you looking for TV exposure and ratings or game attendance. There are 10,000,00 plus TV sets in the tri-state area. In the NYC metro area including Fairfield County, winning is important for fan interest. So is an occasional "big game" i.e. Michigan/ND/BYU/Boise/...in the big picture:
Where we land in the next go around of CR and the methods needed to move the invitation are key:
IMO-TV sets matter the most to gain better market penetration for UCONN and tweak of interest for the B1G Network and the probable ACC Network. Market share in NYC is key to selling UCONN---hence SNY being pushed as the "Home of the Huskies" and the BB teams getting to Bridgeport were key, IMHO, to our future development and CR.. NYC, though termed a "professional sports town" loves winners. ...next year's game (11/8) with ARMY doesn't hurt being in the Bronx for exposure.

Interesting that Fordham Football captured the fancy of many New Yorkers - by winning, landing many articles in the local papers including the WSJ. you could not get a seat in their tiny stadium. We all love a winner and teams that capture our hearts. UCONN begins to win again, continues doing the right things on the marketing path and schedules an occasional big game-the Huskies will capture the Hearts and Souls of a new legion of passionate fans.

Reaction Score
P5 Schools with 2015 openings

Clemson

Ga Tech

Miami Fl

UNC

PITT

Cuse

Wake

Arkansas

Florida

Georgia

UK

LSU

Vandy

Mizzou

Miss St

It would probably have to be a road game as at lot of these already have 1-2 games away from home. I'd take a road game against pretty much any of these teams than a home game vs an FCS or directional Michigan type school. Or Buffalo.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
HJ - It bugs me about how impatient college football fans can be. Youthful emotion and enthusiasm is what makes college football and basketball so much more fun and exciting than their pro counterparts. Having said that, too much emotion also can create unrealistic expectations. What UCONN has accomplished in D-1 athletics over the past 25 years (football in a little over 10) is truly amazing and the envy of many across the nation. As hugely successful as our Men's and Women's Basketball teams have been, football (past 3 years aside) has possibly been more successful due to the degree of difficulty and length of time. When Bob Diaco viewed the UCONN head job he saw OPPORTUNITY. He saw the base that Edsal and co. built - Rentschler field, Burton Family football complex, Shenkman training center. He also saw Gampel Pavilion etc. He saw the New York and New England market as well as a league that UCONN has an opportunity to be a King pin in. He felt Ward Manual's and Susan Herbst's commitment. He also saw the opportunity to in time, move to a P5. He saw the league championships, the Papa John bowl win over SC, and of course the Notre Dame victory in South Bend. I see Diaco becoming another Chris Peterson stature wise (certainly not personality). Granted there are a lot more things to distract in the busy Northeast than Boise Idaho, however winning is contagious and everyone wants to be a part of it. Like great wine or cheese, there is a natural aging process that is required. No, UCONN is not ready for prime time just yet, however, if we all have a little patience with Bob Diaco and crew, this just could be a very fun and enjoyable ride. Let's just do our best as excited little pups to keep expectations a little closer to reality. Look around there are not too many Boise State's. Although Northern IL, the other Huskies seem like they are becoming the Boise of the Mid West. So with BYU and Boise State coming to town this year, I am hoping that we can show the college football world that big time college football is alive and well in East Hartford, CT.
I think the problem is that the fan base is frustrated by the program's decay over the past three years. Had Diaco taken over after FUCHRE, there would be a lot more enthusiasm and optimism. If we show considerable progress this year, and I believe we will, I think that the enthusiasm on this board, except for the usual curmudgeons, will be high. I also believe that the numbers in the stands will pick up more quickly than many anticipate. With a decent product on the field and UConn football will take off. JMO.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Home had better not be the Yale Bowl. I'll accept the Meadowlands, Foxboro and even consider (although its capacity isn't ideal) Yankee Stadium.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Clemson

Ga Tech

Miami Fl

UNC

PITT

Cuse

Wake

Arkansas

Florida

Georgia

UK

LSU

Vandy

Mizzou

Miss St

It would probably have to be a road game as at lot of these already have 1-2 games away from home. I'd take a road game against pretty much any of these teams than a home game vs an FCS or directional Michigan type school. Or Buffalo.

You can safely cross Florida, LSU and Miami off the list. They aren't leaving the Southeast for any non-conference game. UNC and Vandy were played home and home recently. I don't think Pitt or Cuse are the answers. Nothing gained on either side for Miss St., Kentucky or Wake.

When I read Fuller's initial tweet I thought of Georgia and Ga Tech. I could see Clemson or Miszzou as a possibility too.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Considering where Va Tech is located, where Bristol; is and the potential capacity for a football game at that venue it is a bit surprising (sight lines be damned) that the Tennessee-Va Tech game there hadn't been considered earlier.

Yes, it puts us in a very difficult position but we unfortunately are in a position where our choices would be to suspend the series with Tennessee or have Tennessee cancel it (I imagine that there would be no financial penalty if a home and home were cancelled as this has happened many times in the past with many schools with no penalty announced).

There was a great line a few years back in The Big Bang Theory where Howard told Leonard (who was contemplating breaking up with Penny) "She'll have a new boyfriend tomorrow. You'll have a new girlfriend when you figure out how to build one". At the moment this is us. It sucks but we will need to deal with it. Spackler was in part correct about Edsall but the greater point is that Edsall never had the personality to sell the program to the press (the aftermath of Jasper Howard's murder was the one time he did succeed in this venue) and while the college football world was knocking and mocking us up to and through the Fiesta Bowl, not only did Edsall do nothing to defend and promote the program, his immediate departure confirmed (at least in the eyes of the college football pundits) that they were correct in their view of us all along.

One thing that pisses me off is the few stray comments I've seen along the lines of "the only reason we moved up was to play big name schools". We have no birthright to a quality athletic conference and the idea that we decided in 1999 to pursue football at the highest level should put us ahead of many schools who have been trying this for many decades is insulting. We blast Tulane yet ignore the fact that during the college football season that ended shortly after the basketball season when we won our first men's national title (something most of us claim was a recent event) Tulane went undefeated and finished something like #8 nationally (we happened to have our only 1-AA playoff run that same year). Schools like Houston, Tulane, Tulsa and Cincinnati all have valid reason to be offended by our belief that we deserve better. SMU may also have valid reason but the Death Penalty, which was their own damned fault damages their position.

The reality is that we have a struggle and as a fan base we need to demonstrate that we are enough of a fan base that we aren't entirely dependent on the marquee value of the visiting team to get our fans interested. We will get some nice names here but we won't have a sufficient home schedule (at least while we are in the AAC) to draw the numbers we want (and need, if we are to gain attention of a P5 conference) unless the fans are there because of UConn, not who UConn is playing.

Reaction Score
HJ---like your points but need to qualify the NY market. Are you looking for TV exposure and ratings or game attendance. There are 10,000,00 plus TV sets in the tri-state area. In the NYC metro area including Fairfield County, winning is important for fan interest. So is an occasional "big game" i.e. Michigan/ND/BYU/Boise/...in the big picture:
Where we land in the next go around of CR and the methods needed to move the invitation are key:
IMO-TV sets matter the most to gain better market penetration for UCONN and tweak of interest for the B1G Network and the probable ACC Network. Market share in NYC is key to selling UCONN---hence SNY being pushed as the "Home of the Huskies" and the BB teams getting to Bridgeport were key, IMHO, to our future development and CR.. NYC, though termed a "professional sports town" loves winners. ...next year's game (11/8) with ARMY doesn't hurt being in the Bronx for exposure.

Interesting that Fordham Football captured the fancy of many New Yorkers - by winning, landing many articles in the local papers including the WSJ. you could not get a seat in their tiny stadium. We all love a winner and teams that capture our hearts. UCONN begins to win again, continues doing the right things on the marketing path and schedules an occasional big game-the Huskies will capture the Hearts and Souls of a new legion of passionate fans.

TV viewers bodies in stadiums-- you might be right about this. I must admit that I don't have a feel for the readiness of nyokers to sit before the tele. And I don't know if Rutgers games are packed with New Yorkers pouring over the GW. But you mentioned something else that caught my attention-- Fordham; that good old Catholic school. Old farts like me can remember stories about how the local colleges in NY (NYU, Manhattan, City, Brooklyn, etc) were great in BB and good in FB. before the great financial crises of the 70's put them under. That Fordham has resusitated itself in academics and sports speaks wonders. Of course we are speaking of a different type of (football) animal-- not the one we aspire to being, an God forbid playing. But Uconn could be as much a NY team as Cuse and RU with the right mkting. I'm just told that NYU and Manhattan could beat Uconn in bb back in the glory days. So much has changed.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
WWII killed football for Forham (the only NYC school that even attempted to compete at a high level at that time) and the gambling scandals (one in early 1950's another in the early 1960's) destroyed basketball for LIU, NYU, CCNY and Manhattan (even though they weren't at the level of the previous three). St John's rise in the mid 1960's was in large part due to the fact that they went unscathed while their three biggest competitiors (LIU, NYU & CCNY) all got hit and de-emphasized men's hoops.

Reaction Score
You can safely cross Florida, LSU and Miami off the list. They aren't leaving the Southeast for any non-conference game. UNC and Vandy were played home and home recently. I don't think Pitt or Cuse are the answers. Nothing gained on either side for Miss St., Kentucky or Wake.

When I read Fuller's initial tweet I thought of Georgia and Ga Tech. I could see Clemson or Miszzou as a possibility too.
Ga Tech played at the site of the Basketball Practice Facility for crying out loud. Could coax them up here. I'd have to check how many ACC trips Ga Tech and Clemson are already making to the likes of BC, PITT, and Cuse in 2015 before I had too much hope for them coming up here. Losing a Tennessee at home is a big blow and ideally we'd replace it with another high P5 team but if need to go on the road to a Florida LSU or Miami I'd take that over home vs Ball State. Mizzou would be cool though. Mr. Oriakhi could be a guest of honor. If we could use this fb game as an excuse to get the ball rolling with UK in hoops that'd be awesome.

Reaction Score

Clemson

Ga Tech

Miami Fl

UNC

PITT

Cuse

Wake

Arkansas

Florida

Georgia

UK

LSU

Vandy

Mizzou

Miss St

Let's look at this list:
Clemson & Miami- Clemson was dead set against UConn being admitted to the ACC so why would they accomodate UConn for 2015? We all know the history with Miami & Shalala's still behind the wheel (altough I still feel that the U owes us a return trip)-highly unlikely.
G.Tech, UNC, Pitt-v. possible, but especially UNC as they were big advocates for UConn in the last round of ACC expansion
The Fruit- makes sense for both teams, but I don't think that Cuse would pull the trigger.
Wake- sure, anytime
Arkansas-intriguing, but unlikely
Florida & Georgia-big time heavy hitters, would probably demand a one & done on their home fields.
Kentucky-okay, we've been there before as a 1AA-let them come to us first
LSU-wow, in my dreams but I'd love it-see Florida & Georgia
Vandy-ok & Nashville's a nice road trip
Mizzou & Miss St.- I'm okay with either

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score

Arkansas

Georgia

I tell you what, I think Georgia would be great, even if we did 2 and 1, away-home-away for example.

The might knock us around a bit, but I think that would show the world who we want to be.

Reaction Score
TV viewers bodies in stadiums-- you might be right about this. I must admit that I don't have a feel for the readiness of nyokers to sit before the tele. And I don't know if Rutgers games are packed with New Yorkers pouring over the GW. But you mentioned something else that caught my attention-- Fordham; that good old Catholic school. Old farts like me can remember stories about how the local colleges in NY (NYU, Manhattan, City, Brooklyn, etc) were great in BB and good in FB. before the great financial crises of the 70's put them under. That Fordham has resusitated itself in academics and sports speaks wonders. Of course we are speaking of a different type of (football) animal-- not the one we aspire to being, an God forbid playing. But Uconn could be as much a NY team as Cuse and RU with the right mkting. I'm just told that NYU and Manhattan could beat Uconn in bb back in the glory days. So much has changed.

Perhaps the strategy in marketing the UCONN brand name is to attract a wider audience. UCONN although an acronym or abbreviation for the University of Connecticut lends itself to a wider appeal. Subliminally, it might just be a little easier for a New Yorker to be a UCONN fan rather than a University of Connecticut fan. Just a guess but it may be a component of the overall strategy to capture more of the NY Metro market. Certainly the STEM initiative and 5000 students with Dormitories in Stamford CT will further the effort to become more NY centric.

Reaction Score
I think the problem is that the fan base is frustrated by the program's decay over the past three years. Had Diaco taken over after FUCHRE, there would be a lot more enthusiasm and optimism. If we show considerable progress this year, and I believe we will, I think that the enthusiasm on this board, except for the usual curmudgeons, will be high. I also believe that the numbers in the stands will pick up more quickly than many anticipate. With a decent product on the field and UConn football will take off. JMO.

HJ - Well put. We all want to win. The past three years have no doubt hurt the program. Personally, I like
Paul Pasqualoni. Unfortunately he didn't win and the program was in a downward spiral. Mack Brown ran into a similar situation at TX. I applaud the actions Ward Manual took to stop the bleeding. We are all hoping that Diaco has the secret sauce to reinstate a winning atmosphere at UCONN

Reaction Score

Clemson

Ga Tech

Miami Fl

UNC

PITT

Cuse

Wake

Arkansas

Florida

Georgia

UK

LSU

Vandy

Mizzou

Miss St

Looks like TCU has an opening in 2015. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a home and home against Cuse or Pitt. Regional rivalries are needed due to the geographic spread of the AAC. NC and Wake would work. I doubt if LSU would agree to play at the Rent (42,000 with xtra seats). If we got them to come up here it would have to be either at Met Life (82,500), Gillette (68,756) Yale Bowl, (64,246) or maybe Yankee Stadium (54,251). LSU might like the New York exposure at Yankee Stadium and
further help promote UCONN as a New York market team.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I agree that regional rivalries are needed. However, all of our geographic "neighbors" won't schedule us for they are dead set to see us rot in the AAC. To them, scheduling us is giving us one extra day on life support. It's a stupid notion and one that will cause lots of empty seats across the Northeast and continue to keep college football interest at a minimum around here. However, it's very clear where BC and Syracuse stand on us. I can't see Rutgers feeling the need to play us and Pitt, well I guess that might happen but who knows. It's a flipping shame but the only regional team that we have to schedule is UMass and we play Temple in conference.

In the long run, this continued neglect of regional rivalries, especially BC-UConn (I don't care what BC fans claim, this would be an awesome rivalry and one that they'd care about sooner rather than later) is going to kill off any interest in college football in the Northeast. It's already low and empty seats at BC and Syracuse, even for big name schools in the ACC, prove that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom