No Stress No Worries Meltdown thread | The Boneyard

No Stress No Worries Meltdown thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
*** please stay away from this thread if you are going to get emotional and/or internet muscles.***

Hey guys, just thought I'd start a thread where the upset but not homicidal/suicidal/lunatic crowd can take a breath and talk about it.

Anyway, Same issues right? We have guards that can't get to the paint, we have no one on the team who can finish at an above average(or even average) rate near the basket.

That means we have huge runs when we hit our shots, and huge lulls when we don't.

We played great D, but you aren't going to win many games when you score 57 points.

We will be a pretty good NIT team, or a 12 seed this year. Embrace that and get excited for 2016-2017!

Reaction Score
Cincinnati fan here.....This years UCONN team is the mirror image of this years UC team. Good talent, play hard, nice kids, no closer down the stretch. We have a nice little team, but we've got no real formula to close out a win. Guys like Napier, Walker, and Boatwright were special. This years UCONN team will be much better when Brimah gets back.....Our radio guy said after the game that UCONN and UC have played 6 times in the last 2 years and the combined score is 344-344......I honestly think both UCONN and UC are both gonna' get some good news next week regarding conference affiliation. You guys have a classy program.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati fan here.....This years UCONN team is the mirror image of this years UC team. Good talent, play hard, nice kids, no closer down the stretch. We have a nice little team, but we've got no real formula to close out a win. Guys like Napier, Walker, and Boatwright were special. This years UCONN team will be much better when Brimah gets back.....Our radio guy said after the game that UCONN and UC have played 6 times in the last 2 years and the combined score is 344-344.I honestly think both UCONN and UC are both gonna' get some good news next week regarding conference affiliation. You guys have a classy program.
No offense but being compared to Cinci isn't exactly flattering. We're a perennial championship contender not a championship bubble team. Thanks for the encouraging words but probably not the time. Good win tonight and best of luck the rest of the way.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati fan here.....This years UCONN team is the mirror image of this years UC team. Good talent, play hard, nice kids, no closer down the stretch. We have a nice little team, but we've got no real formula to close out a win. Guys like Napier, Walker, and Boatwright were special. This years UCONN team will be much better when Brimah gets back.....Our radio guy said after the game that UCONN and UC have played 6 times in the last 2 years and the combined score is 344-344.I honestly think both UCONN and UC are both gonna' get some good news next week regarding conference affiliation. You guys have a classy program.

Truth is we don't want good news here about conference affiliation. We're a miserable bunch of fools and would prefer the call from the A10 so we can win a conference title again;)

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Agreed with all major points. We're still a thrown together team recovering from the crap storm that was CR, post-season ban, and calhoun departure. We're still rebuilding and because of the 14 'ship people forget that. We have 5 guaranteed players coming in next year and most talent returning. It's going to take a while. If we miss the tourney this year so be it. It's not the end of the world. People that expect us to be where we were 4 or 5 years ago have expectations too high. To me the future is still bright, and I'm very excited for the coming years. Also, something in my bones still tells me that by the time the conference tourney comes around we'll finally be honed and get a guaranteed bid.

Reaction Score
Agreed with all major points. We're still a thrown together team recovering from the crap storm that was CR, post-season ban, and calhoun departure. We're still rebuilding and because of the 14 'ship people forget that. We have 5 guaranteed players coming in next year and most talent returning. It's going to take a while. If we miss the tourney this year so be it. It's not the end of the world. People that expect us to be where we were 4 or 5 years ago have expectations too high. To me the future is still bright, and I'm very excited for the coming years. Also, something in my bones still tells me that by the time the conference tourney comes around we'll finally be honed and get a guaranteed bid.
Great post, and I'm with you 100%.

That said, I'd like to see Ollie develop into a better in-game coach. He's already shown he can improve his recruiting and his ability to develop players, and now I think he needs to figure out how to manage games better.

This is the same process Calhoun went through, fwiw. He was a much better coach in 1996 than he was in 1986, and nobody should forget that.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Great post, and I'm with you 100%.

That said, I'd like to see Ollie develop into a better in-game coach. He's already shown he can improve his recruiting and his ability to develop players, and now I think he needs to figure out how to manage games better.

This is the same process Calhoun went through, fwiw. He was a much better coach in 1996 than he was in 1986, and nobody should forget that.

Agreed on Ollie. I'll still defend him as a HC in that kids want to play for him but he needs a better staff. Need someone that can write plays and someone to be aggressive and yell in his ear.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Agreed on Ollie. I'll still defend him as a HC in that kids want to play for him but he needs a better staff. Need someone that can write plays and someone to be aggressive and yell in his ear.
I wouldn't blame his staff for him allowing his team to pass the ball back and forth behind the 3 point line for most of the second half. If he can;'t realize that he needs to call a TO and set some plays up then there is a problem and right now there is an in game coaching and execution issue that has burned us - specifically in the Temple and Cincy losses. No excuse to drop those two games on our home court with the lead down the stretch

Reaction Score
Not sure I'm with you there. At this time last year many were saying the staff couldn't recruit, and clearly that turned out to be wrong.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not sure I'm with you there. At this time last year many were saying the staff couldn't recruit, and clearly that turned out to be wrong.

He simply needs to get better at coaching. This is entirely within his potential skill set. He's intelligent and was a point guard; he knows the game; now he needs to translate that from the sideline to the floor. I think it will be a huge help having Alterique and soph Jalen next year. Really doesn't have his coach on the floor right now.

And we know he can coach. The 2014 NCAA tournament showed me that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Cmon man do you have inside info on the b12 expansion? You can't say something like that without context, I need to sleep tonight!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if you're not worried, you must have quit already :)

Reaction Score
He simply needs to get better at coaching. This is entirely within his potential skill set. He's intelligent and was a point guard; he knows the game; now he needs to translate that from the sideline to the floor. I think it will be a huge help having Alterique and soph Jalen next year. Really doesn't have his coach on the floor right now.

And we know he can coach. The 2014 NCAA tournament showed me that.

This is the biggest thing that actually worries me - we know he can coach. He did it during the '14 Championship run - so where is it? I'm hopeful for next year. Maybe he just needs "his" guys to run the show but he should be doing better with what we have. My two cents anyways.

Reaction Score
Ollie's biggest problem as a coach right now is that this team has zero consistency, status, or confidence. He doesn't have bullets in his gun right now. Lots of blanks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Truth is we don't want good news here about conference affiliation. We're a miserable bunch of fools and would prefer the call from the A10 so we can win a conference title again;)

What makes anyone think we'd win the A10. Seems like the offense needs to play against P5 teams to score.

In seven conference games, UConn has averaged about 62.5 ppg. In the seven games against P5/BE opponents UConn has averaged about 10 ppg higher.

The only conference game UConn has posted >70 was Memphis (81). Yet we posted >70 vs perennially decent teams like Michigan, Cuse, Gonzaga, Ohio State and Texas.

I cannot make sense of that.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Dd.QUOTE="justgoplay, post: 1559974, member: 6594"]Cincinnati fan here.....This years UCONN team is the mirror image of this years UC team. Good talent, play hard, nice kids, no closer down the stretch. We have a nice little team, but we've got no real formula to close out a win. Guys like Napier, Walker, and Boatwright were special. This years UCONN team will be much better when Brimah gets back.....Our radio guy said after the game that UCONN and UC have played 6 times in the last 2 years and the combined score is 344-344.I honestly think both UCONN and UC are both gonna' get some good news next week regarding conference affiliation. You guys have a classy program.[/QUOTE]
I certainly hope you are right about the conference realignment situation. However, here at UConn we have been used to being disappointed and I suspect if there is any good news it would be only for Cincy. the reality for both teams is with losses piling up it is likely that we have to win the conference tournament to get a bid

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
No worries here because we can be assured we won't be a 12 seed. If that's as close as we get your NIT hopes will be answered.

Breathe, get off the ledge now, take my hand people.

Oh crap that's me on the ledge HELP:confused:
LMAO!!!!

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
No worries here because we can be assured we won't be a 12 seed. If that's as close as we get your NIT hopes will be answered.

Breathe, get off the ledge now, take my hand people.

Oh crap that's me on the ledge HELP:confused:
If you are still on the ledge I will get you help just like Ryan Reynolds talking to that jumper in the beginning of Van Wilder. LOL

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
What makes anyone think we'd win the A10. Seems like the offense needs to play against P5 teams to score.

In seven conference games, UConn has averaged about 62.5 ppg. In the seven games against P5/BE opponents UConn has averaged about 10 ppg higher.

The only conference game UConn has posted >70 was Memphis (81). Yet we posted >70 vs perennially decent teams like Michigan, Cuse, Gonzaga, Ohio State and Texas.

I cannot make sense of that.

Well, there is a theory that losing Brimah hurt the offense since he was the best on the team at catching lobs. I was thinking of this last night; Miller caught two lobs last night, which was great, but even he has to get a little bit of a running start and the alleyoop has to be timed right in order for it to work. With Brimah, he's so tall and has such long arms that he doesn't have to get any running start; he doesn't even need to know D-Ham's throwing him a lob until the ball is already in the air. He just does a little jump and he's above the rim. That means that, much like the read-option in the NFL, Hamilton can wait to see what the big man defending Brimah does before he makes a decision; if he steps up to defend the drive, just lob it towards the rim. If he hangs back on Brimah, just put up the floater. I really think this is going to make a huge difference with our offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom