No scholly for Johnny Youtube? | The Boneyard

No scholly for Johnny Youtube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i take this as good news. 2 more slots that we can fill with youth instead.

Reaction Score
It is good news that we have the extra scolie. But, in all fairness this guy deserves a scolie for this past year and next year, no matter what he does next year.
Who knows, maybe his parents are rich and he doesn't need it. He does deserve it, however, even though he is nowhere near the 2nd coming of DanO.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
It is good news that we have the extra scolie. But, in all fairness this guy deserves a scolie for this past year and next year, no matter what he does next year.
Who knows, maybe his parents are rich and he doesn't need it. He does deserve it, however, even though he is nowhere near the 2nd coming of DanO.

Reaction Score
it doesn't matter how much money his parents make, he earned a scholarship and should be awarded one. personally i think any walk-on that makes the two deep (maybe barring extenuating circumstances) should be given a scholarship. any player that starts for a whole season, or even half a season, unquestionably deserves one.

if we finish out this class and have an extra scholarship or two, can P still award it to them later?

Reaction Score
I think he deserves a scholly as well. No, he didn't play great and my personal opinion was that we went in the wrong direction with the QB choice, but the kid hung in there and showed a lot grit. He gave it his all for program last year. Give him a scholly P. Do the right thing.

Reaction Score
Hate to mention it, but, could this be Staff’s way of saying, thanks for everything Johnny but you don’t realy need to come back next year!!! Either that or he declined the scholly because his family can pay for it… what other reason would Staff have?? Because it truly does contradict what Coach P stated a year ago about walk-on's….

Reaction Score
It's a shame Coach P doesn't stick to his word and give Mac a scholly. What does this say for any future walk ons chances?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a shame Coach P doesn't stick to his word and give Mac a scholly. What does this say for any future walk ons chances?

It says if your father is extremely wealthy it doesn't matter.

If they wanted to tell him not to come back, wouldn't a clearly message have been not playing him against Cincinnati?

Reaction Score
According to @PaulPasqualoni doesn't appear QB Johnny McEntee, FB Mark Hinkley will b offrd schollies; tight, more work to do 4 2012 class.

A clear signal that we have more commits expected and he wants to squeeze in more kids. This is a relatively small class and PP must think that he has more to go.

You would have to think that both players are still in the mix to play though.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If Mac is in fact from a wealthy background it wouldn't surprise me if he refused a scholarship. Seems like a nice guy that would sacrifice a ship to get another player on the roster for the good of the team next year.

Reaction Score
Is it a possibility that the staff wants to get in as many recruits as they can and then let the annual spring cleaning clear up a slot or 2 for someone like Johnny Mac?

Reaction Score
I think he deserves a scholly as well. No, he didn't play great and my personal opinion was that we went in the wrong direction with the QB choice, but the kid hung in there and showed a lot grit. He gave it his all for program last year.

I was one of many who was critical of the QB play last season and cited it as Exhibit A as to why the UConn offense struggled. . . BUT, I would agree entirely with the above posting.

Reaction Score
He deserves one, but he doesn't need one and does us some good if in fact he is refusing one.

I am pretty sure that the program can share its gratitude in other ways. The remarkable thing about JMac is that he stuck with us, he could have just as easily transferred to an FCS and gotten a scholarship and more playing time.

Reaction Score
personally i think it seems odd that this type of announcement would even come this early in the season, unless they're talking about scholarships for the spring 2012 semester. i have a feeling that's what this is, and that if we have scholarships available before next season they could still get one for 2013.

Reaction Score

Isn't McEntee's dad rich? Maybe that played a role in this particular matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom