No outrage over UConn's ticket policy? | The Boneyard

No outrage over UConn's ticket policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't posted in a while, but I am a world-class lurker. We are planning to go to Nashville, and we have always got our tickets thru UConn, sitting in the UConn section. We are long-time season tickets holders and donors. Now, you can only get these tickets if you buy the whole package, which is $2000 a couple for the package, without airfare. Since we refuse to pay those prices, we have no tickets. So we will go and hope to scalp tickets from somewhere. I will write to Warde, but why should I support the Athletic department and buy season tickets, when I could just stay home at watch on TV?? The University gets upset because people don't buy tickets and support the team. Well?? Maybe they will figure it out now. Part of the reason I donate is to ensure that I can get tickets to venues other than UConn (Bowl games, Mohegan Sun, etc.) I understand the AD is getting flooded with calls from very upset donors. Just interested to hear other opinions on this - thanks!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Haven't posted in a while, but I am a world-class lurker. We are planning to go to Nashville, and we have always got our tickets thru UConn, sitting in the UConn section. We are long-time season tickets holders and donors. Now, you can only get these tickets if you buy the whole package, which is $2000 a couple for the package, without airfare. Since we refuse to pay those prices, we have no tickets. So we will go and hope to scalp tickets from somewhere. I will write to Warde, but why should I support the Athletic department and buy season tickets, when I could just stay home at watch on TV?? The University gets upset because people don't buy tickets and support the team. Well?? Maybe they will figure it out now. Part of the reason I donate is to ensure that I can get tickets to venues other than UConn (Bowl games, Mohegan Sun, etc.) I understand the AD is getting flooded with calls from very upset donors. Just interested to hear other opinions on this - thanks!
What does the $2000 include?

Reaction Score
It includes 4 nights hotel in the downtown location, transportation from the hotel to the games, and I think reception tickets. I actually think the tickets are additional, but I'm not sure about that.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
1. I think you've a right to be upset about that price - on first glance, that appears to be more than 100% mark-up.
2. Just gotta give a "thumbs-up" to anybody who describes themselves as a "world-class lurker". Sounds like something half-Python, half Neil Gaiman, spoken in Eric Idle's voice . .." .. 'es not just a lurker, 'es a world-class lurker!"

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I was gonna say...check the TN board, I'm sure more than a few of them bought them with hope in their eyes...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Depends on the downtown hotel - some of them run $400-$500 a night.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Depends on the downtown hotel - some of them run $400-$500 a night.

They probably do during tourney time - my frame of reference (without checking) is Louisville, where you have to look pretty hard to find a block of rooms over $200 night. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 4 properties that would likely come in that high, and that's without group rates. Of course, if you're looking over Derby Weekend.....:eek:

Reaction Score
1. I think you've a right to be upset about that price - on first glance, that appears to be more than 100% mark-up.
2. Just gotta give a "thumbs-up" to anybody who describes themselves as a "world-class lurker". Sounds like something half-Python, half Neil Gaiman, spoken in Eric Idle's voice . .." .. 'es not just a lurker, 'es a world-class lurker!"
Well, I read EVERYTHING on the Boneyard (and collegefansonly, volnation, etc) but I rarely post. I'm a friend of Blakeon18. He's always telling me to post, but I just don't. Mostly because I had to reset my password, and can't remember it!

Reaction Score
They probably do during tourney time - my frame of reference (without checking) is Louisville, where you have to look pretty hard to find a block of rooms over $200 night. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 4 properties that would likely come in that high, and that's without group rates. Of course, if you're looking over Derby Weekend.....:eek:
Are you from Louisville?? I'll be going to the Derby, hopefully, in 2 years - hubby's bucket list birthday wish.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Are you from Louisville?? I'll be going to the Derby, hopefully, in 2 years - hubby's bucket list birthday wish.

I was born in CT, but my family moved to "the 'Ville" in 1965. I've since moved back northeast (CT for 27 years, MA for last 2), but I still have family in Loo-uh-vull.
Suggestion for the Derby - Derby Day itself is a zoo, and, an expensive zoo at that. Although it's been some time since I've been to one - 1972, 1975, and 1976 - the only tickets available to "normal folk" were infield general admission. Now, when you're high school & college age, that sorta circus of cut-offs, bourbon, noise and suntan lotion is a hoot, but, I don't know how I'd take it today. Lots of walking involved, too. If it's hot, or rainy, there's not much place to hide or retreat to in the infield.

The locals stay home on Derby Day, and have their Derby Parties indoors, with plumbing, and A/C, and HD big-screen TV's, so you can actually see a horse. The locals go to Churchill Downs on Friday, the day before the Derby, and watch "The Kentucky Oaks", which is the equivalent race for 3-year-old fillies. The Downs is all spiffed up, all the flowers are out, etc. - but, there's, oh, 35,000 folks out there instead of 135,000. Easier to move around, easier to check out the Museum, easier to see the races and see the sights.

Unless I could score clubhouse Derby tickets (which used to be hereditary, and, literally willed in folks' estates), and, unless I was willing to pay for said Derby tickets, I'd go to The Oaks on Friday, and watch off-premises on Saturday.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If I understand the web site, initial allocation tickets were available as tickets alone. What they have now are tickets from another source that are only available as 'package' deals.

Reaction Score
I too am a long time season tix holder and donor and was unable to purchase either stand alone tix or the package as of yesterday (Tues) as they were sold out. Had to get from secondary market.

Reaction Score
If the $2,000 includes air fare from CT to Nashville, transportation to/from the hotel and 4 nights at the Doubletree, then it is not that bad of a price. The Doubletree is running $450 per night (including taxes) for a basic room.

Reaction Score
I've still got 4 tix in Section 315 for both games-selling at face value.....

Reaction Score
If the $2,000 includes air fare from CT to Nashville, transportation to/from the hotel and 4 nights at the Doubletree, then it is not that bad of a price. The Doubletree is running $450 per night (including taxes) for a basic room.
No airfare or tixs included. Same as mens - they offered 2 deals - one with air charter and one land only.

Reaction Score
Over the last 2 years I have had a running e-mail battle with the UCONN Athletic Dept. w/Neal Eskin the Asst DA, over the constant screwing of WBB season ticket holders! Such as: The Temple/UCONN game at Webster Arena with tix priced at $28 to $161 and parking at $20., The placing of UCONN season tix holders in lousy seats at previous Big East now AAC Tourney while SoFL, SMU, Houston, et al get sideline seating for $99 the highest Conference Tourney price in the country/The highest tix prices at XL and Gampel in USA (with bleacher seating)/ the 1st & 2nd round and regionals (when in New Eng.) 3x's the cost of the other 3 regionals/ Offering tix for $10 with NO DONATION while season tix go for $17 with a donation required/ among other policies! I wish other season tix holders would also contact UCONN and complain about these incidents, I feel like I'm alone in this battle! No other school disrespects it's season ticket holders as UCONN does!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Jean and her husband are two of the best supporters UConn athletics has. They do not
just talk it....though Jean is world class at that...but they walk it. Donations....season tickets for several sports...
attendance at final fours...bowl games....you name it and they are there.
The athletic department needs to treat these folks and others like them with the utmost respect and downright affection.
Make it easier for them to support the university....not harder. The university is on a wonderful roll this March...all the staffers from Warde on down
need to reach out and assist some of their best fans to get them loud and proud in person in Nashville and Dallas.

Reaction Score
Jean and her husband are two of the best supporters UConn athletics has. They do not
just talk it....though Jean is world class at that...but they walk it. Donations....season tickets for several sports...
attendance at final fours...bowl games....you name it and they are there.
The athletic department needs to treat these folks and others like them with the utmost respect and downright affection.
Make it easier for them to support the university....not harder. The university is on a wonderful roll this March...all the staffers from Warde on down
need to reach out and assist some of their best fans to get them loud and proud in person in Nashville and Dallas.
Thanks Dad! ;-))

Reaction Score
Over the last 2 years I have had a running e-mail battle with the UCONN Athletic Dept. w/Neal Eskin the Asst DA, over the constant screwing of WBB season ticket holders! Such as: The Temple/UCONN game at Webster Arena with tix priced at $28 to $161 and parking at $20., The placing of UCONN season tix holders in lousy seats at previous Big East now AAC Tourney while SoFL, SMU, Houston, et al get sideline seating for $99 the highest Conference Tourney price in the country/The highest tix prices at XL and Gampel in USA (with bleacher seating)/ the 1st & 2nd round and regionals (when in New Eng.) 3x's the cost of the other 3 regionals/ Offering tix for $10 with NO DONATION while season tix go for $17 with a donation required/ among other policies! I wish other season tix holders would also contact UCONN and complain about these incidents, I feel like I'm alone in this battle! No other school disrespects it's season ticket holders as UCONN does!
Agree! As an example, we bought 6 tickets for us and friends for the AAC tournament @ Mohegan Sun. One of our friends had bought tickets but then sold them to another friend because we could get better seat with our points. Well, guess what - his tickets were across from the UConn bench, about 4 rows off the floor. Our were in the corner near the top of the lower section. It's frustrating.

Reaction Score
I was born in CT, but my family moved to "the 'Ville" in 1965. I've since moved back northeast (CT for 27 years, MA for last 2), but I still have family in Loo-uh-vull.
Suggestion for the Derby - Derby Day itself is a zoo, and, an expensive zoo at that. Although it's been some time since I've been to one - 1972, 1975, and 1976 - the only tickets available to "normal folk" were infield general admission. Now, when you're high school & college age, that sorta circus of cut-offs, bourbon, noise and suntan lotion is a hoot, but, I don't know how I'd take it today. Lots of walking involved, too. If it's hot, or rainy, there's not much place to hide or retreat to in the infield.

The locals stay home on Derby Day, and have their Derby Parties indoors, with plumbing, and A/C, and HD big-screen TV's, so you can actually see a horse. The locals go to Churchill Downs on Friday, the day before the Derby, and watch "The Kentucky Oaks", which is the equivalent race for 3-year-old fillies. The Downs is all spiffed up, all the flowers are out, etc. - but, there's, oh, 35,000 folks out there instead of 135,000. Easier to move around, easier to check out the Museum, easier to see the races and see the sights.

Unless I could score clubhouse Derby tickets (which used to be hereditary, and, literally willed in folks' estates), and, unless I was willing to pay for said Derby tickets, I'd go to The Oaks on Friday, and watch off-premises on Saturday.
Thanks for the info! We have been to Churchill Downs for the tour and the museum. There was no racing that day, but it was fun to walk around. I'd never do the infield - too old for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom