No one-time transfer waiver for 2021-22 | The Boneyard

No one-time transfer waiver for 2021-22

Reaction Score
Wonder what this does to Sid, he gonna get the waiver because we are out of scholarships?

Reaction Score
I think this might actually be good for Martin. He’ll get a year in the system and getting used to the competition then next year when Bouknight is gone, he’ll step in and play >25mpg.

Reaction Score
I might be out of the loop on this, but can we assume the zoom call with Hurley post wasn’t real?

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I think this might actually be good for Martin. He’ll get a year in the system and getting used to the competition then next year when Bouknight is gone, he’ll step in and play >25mpg.
hypothetical: if season gets canceled does Bouknight come back for 21-22?
I know Oct/Nov are far away but not feeling the warm and fuzzies....

Reaction Score
hypothetical: if season gets canceled does Bouknight come back for 21-22?
I know Oct/Nov are far away but not feeling the warm and fuzzies....

Well, I think the season is happening. But if not, I’d think everyone returns. And that would be disastrous for the NCAA due to the potential scholarship situation.

Reaction Score
We will have several open scholarships next year so the 21-22 waiver could very much work in our favor. Especially if we make a big splash back on the national scene as we all expect with this roster. And Uconn once again becomes a desired destination for recruits and transfers, which we are already starting to see.

Reaction Score
He’s not getting a waiver and he’s sitting the year, as he prefers.
I agree that he won't get a waiver (nobody who joins UConn ever does), but to say he prefers to sit a year is insane. No player wants to sit a year regardless of lack of minutes.

Reaction Score
I agree that he won't get a waiver (nobody who joins UConn ever does), but to say he prefers to sit a year is insane. No player wants to sit a year regardless of lack of minutes.
RJ Cole talked about wanting to sit out the year and improve so didn't apply for a waiver. Not crazy to think Martin felt the same way, especially with his comments after committing

Reaction Score
RJ Cole preferred to sit a year, and I know people who have talked with Martin. That's what I'm told. He is Hurley's Bouknight replacement. Feel free to disagree.

Reaction Score
Plus it looks like Polley will be back, (hopefully at full strength), so Martin is not needed. If Polley was going to miss the year, then we would be pissed now that the waiver didn't go thru...

Reaction Score
Plus it looks like Polley will be back, (hopefully at full strength), so Martin is not needed. If Polley was going to miss the year, then we would be pissed now that the waiver didn't go thru...
Martin would be a great asset and bring loads of versatility to next years team

Reaction Score
RJ Cole preferred to sit a year, and I know people who have talked with Martin. That's what I'm told. He is Hurley's Bouknight replacement. Feel free to disagree.
Hurley hinted at something different although it's not definitive and Hurley and Martin both said they didn't discuss the issue in full. So maybe you're right and Martin is fine with sitting out a year.

From the April 16 article in the Hartford Courant after Martin signed.

If the rules are not changed, Martin could apply for a waiver to play right away. R.J. Cole, who transferred from Howard last year, did sit out the 2019-20 season.

“It wasn’t something we discussed with [Martin],” Hurley said. “Sitting out a year made a lot of sense for R.J. Cole. He wanted the year to use resources UConn has. That’s not where Tyrese’s mindset is at.”

From the New Haven Register article of April 16.

Martin’s playing status with UConn for the 2020-21 season will depend on the upcoming NCAA decision regarding immediate eligibility for transfers, which is expected in late-May, or obtaining a waiver to receive immediate eligibility. Both Hurley and Martin have said they haven’t thought much about whether Martin would apply for a waiver. R.J. Cole, who transferred to UConn last year after spending his first two seasons at Howard University, did not apply for a waiver. But it sounds like Martin is a different story.

“It’s probably a different situation than with R.J.,” Hurley noted. “With the way our roster was shaped last year, it made a lot of sense for R.J. (to sit out). He wanted the year to use the resources that UConn has to really make improvements physically before he stepped out there. Whereas I think that’s probably not where Tyrese’s mindset is at.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom