No one stepped up | The Boneyard

No one stepped up

Reaction Score
No one has all year.

Tonight was a chance for Durham. He wandered around. Purvis had his family. He played his "D" game and I don't mean defense. After a nice first half, Jackson was a spectator. The team set nothing up for him but he went silently. Brimah got his usual phantom fouls and played okay. Facey, missed five straight free throws.

The coach. He should live and die on the man to man. Die with your boots on.

Make no mistake, this is on a sloppy first half (10 TOs) must of them unforced and no onions in the second half.

Reaction Score
Our big time 2 guard went 3-15. Only a few games left for him but you just can't have that night after night especially when down another player. I'm quite sure he's frustrated as hell.

Reaction Score
Can't make a shot, make bad decisions, don't step out to guard the 3 especially the guy who's 7 for 11 and have too many low basketball IQ players on the court same time. Not sure why everyone thought this was such a huge upset? They aren't very good.

Come back from 9 tie it, then make 3-4 stupid plays in a row what do you expect. These kids aren't brilliant players, they have to get smarter and even better, make some shots.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I don't know if it is all bad defense on the three. This team has been basted by a barrage of threes all year. Hell lets go back a few years. Texas a corner three as time expired. One week later, Yale same exact scenario to the "T". Someone always gets hot. Even if not covered you still have to make it. Same as last game. Was it 8 threes in the first half? Your right Mau, 3-4 stupid plays in a row. Stupid. No coach can coach that. That is CYO basketball. I said at the third game I cannot wait until next year. If they turn it around so be it. Some of the turnovers are stunning.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The guards needed some rest and didn't get it. If they are not all healthy then they will end up going home early

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Can't make a shot, make bad decisions, don't step out to guard the 3 especially the guy who's 7 for 11 and have too many low basketball IQ players on the court same time. Not sure why everyone thought this was such a huge upset? They aren't very good.

Come back from 9 tie it, then make 3-4 stupid plays in a row what do you expect. These kids aren't brilliant players, they have to get smarter and even better, make some shots.
Good point. UConn has tended to recruit players with the size and/or athleticism to be pro players, but we have not emphasized basketball IQ in recruiting. Norte Dame's coach was interviewed today and talked about how BB IQ is the most important characteristic. ND has not won a title but they often exceed expectations and have a competitive team every year

Reaction Score
Good point. UConn has tended to recruit players with the size and/or athleticism to be pro players, but we have not emphasized basketball IQ in recruiting. Norte Dame's coach was interviewed today and talked about how BB IQ is the most important characteristic. ND has not won a title but they often exceed expectations and have a competitive team every year

Agree...more BB IQ and less hot dogs.

3-4 stupid plays at crunch time = game over...next

C

Chief00

No one has all year.

Tonight was a chance for Durham. He wandered around. Purvis had his family. He played his "D" game and I don't mean defense. After a nice first half, Jackson was a spectator. The team set nothing up for him but he went silently. Brimah got his usual phantom fouls and played okay. Facey, missed five straight free throws.

Make no mistake, this is on a sloppy first half (10 TOs) must of them unforced and no onions in the second half.

Observations right on target. Love your comment about man to man, "Die with your boots on." Now I don't consider man to man switching on everything. The first principle is to fight through the screens.

How do you miss 5 straight foul shots unless you're AD?

Reaction Score
Durham has been awful. Hopefully he has a strong offseason and we see him return to some form.

The 4-5 will be interesting next year.

No one has all year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Observations right on target. Love your comment about man to man, "Die with your boots on." Now I don't consider man to man switching on everything. The first principle is to fight through the screens.

How do you miss 5 straight foul shots unless you're AD?

Honestly, zone is fine if you know how to play it. I don't think they do. Too much ball chasing. Agree with you on fighting through screens in man, hell, you might even get a few moving screen calls. God knows those screeners are moving half the time.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Vital has a concussion and doesn't play, Purvis dislocates his finger pre-game and Adams comes back early from an ankle sprain. There was not a healthy guard on the floor for us tonight, so put it in a little perspective. You also have Durham who missed a full season of playing and part of our pre-season, but let's put all sorts of expectations on him as well. Am I disappointed in the season, sure. But it's based on the expectations of a complete and healthy team. We've been anything but that this year.
To say nobody has stepped up all season is ludicrous. Adams has been solid all year. Facey, though poor from the line lately, has stepped up his game immensely from the beginning of the season. Vital and Jackson have both shown marked improvement. I would counter that only Purvis and Brimah have not really shown any improvement either from last year or even from the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Durham has been playing for the last 5-6 months.

How long does he have to play before people say he hasn't played in a year?

Vital has a concussion and doesn't play, Purvis dislocates his finger pre-game and Adams comes back early from an ankle sprain. There was not a healthy guard on the floor for us tonight, so put it in a little perspective. You also have Durham who missed a full season of playing and part of our pre-season, but let's put all sorts of expectations on him as well. Am I disappointed in the season, sure. But it's based on the expectations of a complete and healthy team. We've been anything but that this year.
To say nobody has stepped up all season is ludicrous. Adams has been solid all year. Facey, though poor from the line lately, has stepped up his game immensely from the beginning of the season. Vital and Jackson have both shown marked improvement. I would counter that only Purvis and Brimah have not really shown any improvement either from last year or even from the start of the season.

Reaction Score
Jackson doesn't get enough shots.

As for nobody stepping up, I think that's a bad side effect of having zero depth. There's simply less people that have the chance of being "on" that night.

Still, there's no reason to let White kill us like that. Make an adjustment.

Reaction Score
The depth thing is another tired excuse. Duke, KU and UK play 90% of the minutes with 6-7 players minus blowouts.

But the talent levels are radically different. The only UConn player(s) who could sniff any minutes on those teams would be JA

Of course those teams would never lose to a Wagner, Northeastern, Auburn or ECU.

Jackson doesn't get enough shots.

As for nobody stepping up, I think that's a bad side effect of having zero depth. There's simply less people that have the chance of being "on" that night.

Still, there's no reason to let White kill us like that. Make an adjustment.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Durham has been playing for the last 5-6 months.

How long does he have to play before people say he hasn't played in a year?
I hear what you're saying, but it's unreasonable to pile expectations on a FRESHMAN who lost all that time (out from Feb '15 until Oct '16). He got eased into the practices and eased into the games. According to UConnHuskies.com he's played 208 minutes. I realize he practices every day, but there's no substitute for game time and just over 8 minutes a game is not a lot for one's development. If he remains healthy, my expectations for him will grow a lot for next season. At one point weren't they talking about red shirting him this year?

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
The depth thing is another tired excuse. Duke, KU and UK play 90% of the minutes with 6-7 players minus blowouts.

Not true. Duke has 8 players averaging more than 11.5 minutes, 10 players averaging more than 8 but only 2 players who have appeared in all 30 games. Kansas has 8 averaging more than 12.9 and 5 that have played in all 3- games. UK has 8 players averaging more than 11.5 minutes, 9 players averaging more than 8.6 and 6 players that have appeared in all 30 games. UConn has 8 averaging 8.7 or more and only 4 players have appeared in every game.

Reaction Score
No one has all year.

I thought SE played well and even got a big block and played decent defense. Yes, with RP playing horrible and JA only half their physically we needed someone else to help with the scoring load. KF missing 6 FT's killed us when we needed points to stop ECU's run.

Reaction Score
If you factor out blowouts Duke, KU, UK basically play 6-7 players.

Not true. Duke has 8 players averaging more than 11.5 minutes, 10 players averaging more than 8 but only 2 players who have appeared in all 30 games. Kansas has 8 averaging more than 12.9 and 5 that have played in all 3- games. UK has 8 players averaging more than 11.5 minutes, 9 players averaging more than 8.6 and 6 players that have appeared in all 30 games. UConn has 8 averaging 8.7 or more and only 4 players have appeared in every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom