No, No, No | The Boneyard

No, No, No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Offense - no motion = bad shots
Rebounding - boxouts = put your body on somebody!
Recruiting - 5 month contract = bad idea!
Giffey- yes - finally! Give this guy 25 to 30 min.

Need to pick it up or else BE kicks our arse.

Need to get the energy level back up to the level of the first game.

Come on man!

Reaction Score
Offense - no motion = bad shots
Rebounding - boxouts = put your body on somebody!
Recruiting - 5 month contract = bad idea!
Giffey- yes - finally! Give this guy 25 to 30 min.

Need to pick it up or else BE kicks our arse.

Need to get the energy level back up to the level of the first game.

Come on man!

It seems like this same post is made every year around this time.

Reaction Score
Less DD and more giffey. His almost the same height as DD but his a lot stronger and more assure of him self in his abilities on the court. DD can block
Ore shots and is more athletic but he has done nothing with it. More giffey please!

Reaction Score
Less DD and more giffey. His almost the same height as DD but his a lot stronger and more assure of him self in his abilities on the court. DD can block
Ore shots and is more athletic but he has done nothing with it. More giffey please!

I agree with more Giffey but the question is at who's expense? Omar or DD? Both were having a rough time 1st half but Omar is turning it over way too much. Glad he made some shots and he took shots he shoudl finally but he needs to take care of the ball a lot better.......no matter Niels is earning time on the court on both ends.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree with more Giffey but the question is at who's expense? Omar or DD?

Omar. What is his role when he's on the court at the same time as Bazz and Boat? I'm not sure he knows. Let him concentrate on being a 2, than expand his game from there. I get the feeling he's starting because KO figures he's one of the 5 best players on the team. That's probably true, but he's not one of the 2 best guards.

Reaction Score
I agree that the lack of energy and effort in the first half was disturbing. We are not going to win unless our backcourt takes over games and pressures the other team @ MSU.

I am hoping the chemistry shown in the MSU game was not a one time deal. If we can bring that level of intensity to every game we have a shot at winning 17-18 games this year and having a solid showing. The goal IMHO this year, is to be considered a team that should have been included in the NCAA field at the end of the season. If we do that it is a huge win all things considered.

We can not do much about rebounding- our front court is just not that good. Too young, too slow and they just need some help that is not there. We do have one of the better backcourts in the country- that is what we are this year. They need to stop running plays for the bigs and let the backcourt get into a groove early which should open up easy shots for the front court once teams have to spread the floor to guard 1-4.

Energy and chemistry will win games this year. Think of us as a very good mid-major that has to play BE teams instead of cupcakes all year and you have UCONN. The fact we can not play post season means that we have to show we are only a few players away from being back in the mix.

Give KO the contract. If he sucks as time goes on you can always fire him. I think he is a winner and will do well. JC sure thinks so.

NG should get his minutes but you have to keep OC on the floor as well- he needs to have few big games and it will translate to a higher level of play- he has a lot of upside.

Reaction Score
Omar. What is his role when he's on the court at the same time as Bazz and Boat? I'm not sure he knows. Let him concentrate on being a 2, than expand his game from there. I get the feeling he's starting because KO figures he's one of the 5 best players on the team. That's probably true, but he's not one of the 2 best guards.

I agree with you that Giffey probably should be starting over Omar but there is no difference b/w the offensive responsbilities of a 2 and 3.

Reaction Score
We can not do much about rebounding- our front court is just not that good. Too young, too slow and they just need some help that is not there. We do have one of the better backcourts in the country- that is what we are this year. They need to stop running plays for the bigs and let the backcourt get into a groove early which should open up easy shots for the front court once teams have to spread the floor to guard 1-4.

I really disagree with the the thought that we can do nothing about our rebounding. True, our lack of height hurts. Rebounding is all about desire and wanting that ball. The smallest guy on the court can be one its best rebounders if he simply want that ball the most. We cannot use our height, or lack there if, as an excuse this year. They need to throw a body in somebody and go after that ball like they will die if they don't get it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I really disagree with the the thought that we can do nothing about our rebounding. True, our lack of height hurts. Rebounding is all about desire and wanting that ball. The smallest guy on the court can be one its best rebounders if he simply want that ball the most. We cannot use our height, or lack there if, as an excuse this year. They need to throw a body in somebody and go after that ball like they will die if they don't get it.
Then we'll complain about the opposing teams lighting up UConn for three's. There are a lot of times the guards are playing off their men to help out on defensive rebounding and that has resulted in teams hitting the three. The adage the chain is as strong as the weakest link applies with this team. I love NG's game but he is constantly getting pushed out of the box on the defensive end. His game is more finesse. And OC doesn't help on defensive rebounding at all. So even when TO and DD are boxing out the other three players on the court, are limited.

Reaction Score
I am not saying it is going to all fall on the guards shoulders. What I was trying to say, I guess rather unsuccessfully, was that our undersized big men have to step up their efforts on the boards. They have to find a way to be more assertive when going against bigger players. They can't use the excuse that "they are bigger than us". In my humble opinion, that is not a valid excuse. That will not make them better.

Our guards need to help, but by no means am I saying they need to lead us in boards.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am not saying it is going to all fall on the guards shoulders. What I was trying to say, I guess rather unsuccessfully, was that our undersized big men have to step up their efforts on the boards. They have to find a way to be more assertive when going against bigger players. They can't use the excuse that "they are bigger than us". In my humble opinion, that is not a valid excuse. That will not make them better.

Our guards need to help, but by no means am I saying they need to lead us in boards.
I didn't mean to sound like I was picking on you. TO is not a center but is asked to play the five because there is no one else. DD and NG are asked to play the four but they are three's. These guys are maxed out. If AO, AD or RS stayed the situation would be a lot better. Neither KO or any of us fans can expect Yugo's to be Porches.

Reaction Score

It was a good original post. A lot of their O boards yesterday seemed to come because of guys crashing off missed inside shots. Our bigs need to throw their bodies around more aggressively to keep inside position. Even a little nudge on a guy crashing with forward momentum can give you the space you need.

Also think the guards need to do more. They have the quickest hands on the court and there will be a lot of opportunities for them to come out of the scrum with the ball. That was Kemba's most underrated talent. I'll gamble on open 3's after a rebound scrum in exchange for a chance at the initial board. It's not like our guards don't slough off after a shot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom