No Moxie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Moxie

Reaction Score
Good for her just as she was starting to come into her own. I worry more about what the new agreement will not only do to UConn but the entire landscape of women’s college basketball. I would hate to see it turn out to be a one and done like the men’s game,
It looks like the men’s game is soon headed back to where the super elite players will go straight out of high school and skip college altogether. Not sure many women players are pro-ready right out of high school, or even after their freshman year. ??

Anyway, I don’t think the new WNBA deal is enough of an increase for rookies that it will move the needle much on early outs. If/when it gets to where the women are making significantly bigger money, then the best/pro-ready college underclass players will absolutely challenge the system if it’s unfairly keeping them from earning that money.

But with only about 20 new players being absorbed into the WNBA every year, how many underclass women is this really going to impact? 5-6? It would probably affect UConn and a few other elite teams disproportionately, since that’s where the “stars” are concentrated. Sort of act as a force to level the ‘parity’ playing field.

Reaction Score
With the new WNBA pay increases and longer proposed season I fear Megan will forgo her senior season...good for her not so good for us but she deserves a good future...
There is also a possibility that Anna is offered a big paycheck to return home to go pro in Europe. I know she played on pro teams in Poland as a high school student.

Reaction Score
At 6'2" with ball handling ability, I feel one of her biggest assets could be grabbing a rebound and immediately starting the fast break. Last year, all five players were capable of this. Our current starting 5 only has 3 capable ball handlers. With Makurat in, I feel like the ability to run is much improved.

For now CD should and will be our PG, but its nice knowing that Williams and Makurat are capable of spelling some minutes at that position.

Although it was just one game, I hope its the start of a trend for her. Likewise, I hope the other 4 starters begin to involve her more in the offense.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
CD is more of a scorer & spot shooter than a traditional PG & floor general. Her assist to TO ratio is not what you want from a PG. That's fine, but it's just another example of how confusing this offense is to the players & they are unclear on their roles.
You are not really very good at this are you???

Coming into this season (career so far) A/TOs:

Dangerfield - 2.68
Jefferson - 2.65
Bird - 2.12
DT - 1.84
Montgomery - 1.80
Rizzotti - 1.57

Guess UCONN has never had a "PG and floor general".

Reaction Score
You are not really very good at this are you???

Coming into this season (career so far) A/TOs:

Dangerfield - 2.68
Jefferson - 2.65
Bird - 2.12
DT - 1.84
Montgomery - 1.80
Rizzotti - 1.57

Guess UCONN has never had a "PG and floor general".

You realize that if you counter arguments with facts and statistics that the Boneyard, as we know it, will collapse.;)

Reaction Score
At 6'2" with ball handling ability, I feel one of her biggest assets could be grabbing a rebound and immediately starting the fast break. Last year, all five players were capable of this. Our current starting 5 only has 3 capable ball handlers. With Makurat in, I feel like the ability to run is much improved.

For now CD should and will be our PG, but its nice knowing that Williams and Makurat are capable of spelling some minutes at that position.

Although it was just one game, I hope its the start of a trend for her. Likewise, I hope the other 4 starters begin to involve her more in the offense.
In her highlight film it showed Anna grabbing a rebound and immediately firing across entire court for an easy basket just as Lou used to do.

Reaction Score
I may be way off and have absolutely no insight into the team, coaches, etc. FWIW, this is an opinion gleamed from TV observations and the application of what I “think” I know from a lifetime of being addicted to the game. I would start Makurat and give her the ball, with Williams assisting setting up the offense. I would move Dangerfield into a wing and let her focus on attacking and scoring.
Reasons, it will somewhat reduce Dangerfield’s work load, simplify her role on offense and let her focus on what clearly (to me at least) is her greatest offensive strength.
I believe it will also take advantage of Makurat‘s maturity, which up to now, seems to be manifesting as a negative as she struggles to fit in and carve out a “role” within the team, too often deferring to others. She appears to me to not be remotely “afraid of the moment”, and IMO that is what this team needs the most, as reflected in the post introducing this thread.
IMO, the solution to this team realizing its potential is not physical but rather developing chemistry and on court leadership, so again, from afar, that is my suggestion as the best way to get there.
Your idea about Ania being floor general/facilitator has merit .. especially bcuz she is much taller than CD and can see 'over the defense' much better than Crystal .. and further, the 'touch pass' from Molly-to-Ania-to-Aubrey was solid evidence of her keen court awareness.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
You realize that if you counter arguments with facts and statistics that the Boneyard, as we know it, will collapse.;)
Years ago my dad had a drinking buddy , an ironworker, who was fond of saying "irregardless of the goddam facts". In his mind ,he won all the arguments! ;)

Reaction Score
Agreed. Anna’s real problem, as shown in Tulsa game, is she defers to her “elders.” She owned the fourth quarter when they were on bench and she was free to play her game. The core four are going to remain on floor. Anna needs the confidence to say, “I belong with you.” That is an incredible hurdle for any freshman but especially so for a young girl coming from Poland. I really don’t expect her to score 21 points every night with this line-up but 12-16 is a distinct possibility and 12-16 could mean the Final Four.

yes I agree.....................we forget that she is still a freshman with the added weight of adjusting to a new country.............12-14 points in 20-25 minutes isn't asking too much from such a good shooter....................frankly she still didn't shoot enough for my liking......................that turn around jump shot just inside the foul line was open numerous times but she chose to pass the ball back out to a teammate beyond the three point line instead............ideally UConn could get a consistent 18-20 pts from MW, 16-18 pts from CW, 14-16 pts from CD, 10-12 pts from ONO and at least 14-16 from the rest of the team to be competitive against good competition.........

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is also a possibility that Anna is offered a big paycheck to return home to go pro in Europe. I know she played on pro teams in Poland as a high school student.
Well, I checked my own comment and Polish paychecks average only $38,000. I think she’ll stay.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
.ideally UConn could get a consistent 18-20 pts from MW, 16-18 pts from CW, 14-16 pts from CD, 10-12 pts from ONO and at least 14-16 from the rest of the team to be competitive against good competition.........
We is pretty ideal then:

Avg's to date

Walker - 20.5
Williams - 15.8
Dangerfield - 15.8
ONO - 11.3
Rest of team - 17.7

Reaction Score
We is pretty ideal then:

Avg's to date

Walker - 20.5
Williams - 15.8
Dangerfield - 15.8
ONO - 11.3
Rest of team - 17.7

for the season yes..................against the only really good team they've played so far (Baylor) no.........

CW -21
MW - 18
CD - 16
Rest of team -3

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
for the season yes..................against the only really good team they've played so far (Baylor) no.........

CW -21
MW - 18
CD - 16
Rest of team -3
You said "consistent". Hard to have "consistent" averages over a single game.

Reaction Score

CW -21
MW - 18
CD - 16
Rest of team -3
Yes, but the rest of the team was Anna. What will a confident Anna do?

Reaction Score
You said "consistent". Hard to have "consistent" averages over a single game.

yes consistent against good competition................that would be Baylor, Tennessee (maybe?), Oregon and South Carolina...........let's see if they can match those numbers in those games...............if they do they probably win them........

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
yes consistent against good competition................that would be Baylor, Tennessee (maybe?), Oregon and South Carolina...........let's see if they can match those numbers in those games...............if they do they probably win them........
Got it.

tenor.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom