No moral victories, just a loss. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No moral victories, just a loss.

Reaction Score
UConn showed something tonight in coming back at halftime and then doing it again in the first OT.
AG needs to be smarter with the ball and look for others and not just drive and shoot
They do that every game. We need to stop falling behind in the first half.

Reaction Score
Agree we are good but lots of stupid plays down the stretch. This should have been a win.

Yea but they could certainly say the same thing if we had pulled it out, maybe even moreso.

A lot of positives even with the tough loss. Don't think there was much that was fluky or unsustainable. Missed opportunity for a good resume win but if the improvement is real we'll have other chances and be fine.

Reaction Score
This was a loss. Committee doesn’t take into account close losses. We are not a top 25 team. We are 3-2 with a very very bad loss. Needed this game big time.
Who gives a damn about the committee? We’ve been terrible for 3-4 yrs. Tonight we played he numbe 18 team in he country and looked their equal. We beat the #15 ranked team. We beat a pretty good Buffalo team. Tonight proves that we have a good team imo. Win or lose we looked the part. And we haven’t looked the part in a long time. This season is and was about taking that next step. We’ve done that imo. The fact that we’re all saying we “should have” beaten the #18 team in the country says it all. That was a top 25 clash imo

Reaction Score
We’re UCONN. We don’t do moral victories to Xavier or anybody else. This was a winnable game, but too much Hero ball from AG cost us the W. That can’t keep happening all year. Instead of flailing into the lane and getting rejected, how about draw and dish to someone else? This was vintage “Ollie-level AG”. Im so pissed right now!!!
He did lead the team in assists.

Reaction Score
Agree. These games you gotta win. Teams that are ranked pull these close games out. Future is heading in right direction but we are a .500 team this year.
We are not a .500 team this year

Reaction Score
UConn is not a .500 team. This is not last year

We need better leadership from the seniors or they can sit
Agree heading in the right direction and excited about the future. But we will be right around .500 maybe a game or 2 over this year. The upperclassmen are not gonna just wake up tomorrow and be different players. And I don’t see Hurley selling them out and playing just the kids.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately we still have too many players that lack not only basic skills but basketball IQ. The young players are good and will get better in time.

A frustrating and draining loss tonight, yet at the same time I can't help but wonder how we hung around so long and had the lead most of the 2nd half. Like I said in the chat, we're an ugly but resilient basketball team.

Reaction Score
Agree heading in the right direction and excited about the future. But we will be right around .500 maybe a game or 2 over this year. The upperclassmen are not gonna just wake up tomorrow and be different players. And I don’t see Hurley selling them out and playing just the kids.
Do you know how soft our schedule is? We’ve just played the toughest part of it. If we play like we’ve played we should win 20 games

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Who gives a damn about the committee? We’ve been terrible for 3-4 yrs. Tonight we played he numbe 18 team in he country and looked their equal. We beat the #15 ranked team. We beat a pretty good Buffalo team. Tonight proves that we have a good team imo. Win or lose we looked the part. And we haven’t looked the part in a long time. This season is and was about taking that next step. We’ve done that imo. The fact that we’re all saying we “should have” beaten the #18 team in the country says it all. That was a top 25 clash imo

you can tell we’re a respected opponent again by how Xavier reacted to beating us. You don’t celebrate like that after beating St. Joe’s or Towson, even after 2OT....

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Agree. These games you gotta win. Teams that are ranked pull these close games out. Future is heading in right direction but we are a .500 team this year.

If you believe that because we lost to the #18 team in America in double OT.... you need a new hobby.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
If you believe that because we lost to the #18 team in America in double OT.... you need a new hobby.
For real. I don't get all the negativity.

It sucks to lose. Coming down from that is a lot easier when you won. But if this was a match-up between the #18 and #19 teams, it becomes an instant classic and the loser doesn't fall far in the polls because it was a tight tight game between top-20 teams.

Yet an unranked, young team with not a lot of veteran talent losing is indicative that we're a bad team? Dumb.

Reaction Score
This hurts, this would’ve been a big win and we very well should’ve won. It hurts so bad because we played so bad and that’s why we should’ve won just doing 1 more thing correctly. And the blame lays almost entirely on the Ollie guys

Reaction Score
Do you know how soft our schedule is? We’ve just played the toughest part of it. If we play like we’ve played we should win 20 games
OK. I’ll hold back until after Sunday against Miami. There is tons of improvement and more talent than last year. Hurley has got the program heading in the right direction. But college basketball is a long season and besides a few December cupcakes, you don’t take anyone on your schedule for granted. There will be games like FL but there will also be head scratchers like St Joe’s. Good teams pull out games like tonight. In a close game, it doesn’t matter what your Kenyon ranking is. Gotta close out these types of games or it’s just another L. We will get there. Just think we are a year away.

Reaction Score
For real. I don't get all the negativity.

It sucks to lose. Coming down from that is a lot easier when you won. But if this was a match-up between the #18 and #19 teams, it becomes an instant classic and the loser doesn't fall far in the polls because it was a tight tight game between top-20 teams.

Yet an unranked, young team with not a lot of veteran talent losing is indicative that we're a bad team? Dumb.
I didn’t say we were a bad team. Not dumb.

Reaction Score
OK. I’ll hold back until after Sunday against Miami. There is tons of improvement and more talent than last year. Hurley has got the program heading in the right direction. But college basketball is a long season and besides a few December cupcakes, you don’t take anyone on your schedule for granted. There will be games like FL but there will also be head scratchers like St Joe’s. Good teams pull out games like tonight. In a close game, it doesn’t matter what your Kenyon ranking is. Gotta close out these types of games or it’s just another L. We will get there. Just think are a year away.

There's a lot of games left, maybe we end up being a year away. I just don't know what good teams pull out games like tonight mean. Nobody goes undefeated. Everyone loses close games to good teams sometimes.

Reaction Score
Yup. Get by the first defender and play the advantage. He has to know it's not him going 1 on 4. Dish!!

Reaction Score
This wasn’t just a loss. We’re a top 25 team imo. And tonight proved it. That Xavier team is good
The only thing we proved tonight is that we're not ready to win yet and it wont change till we have better leadership on the court because CV and AG aren't cutting it. Those guys have no idea how to play winning basketball or how to lead other young men.

Reaction Score
Man I get tired of seeing our out of bound set end in turnovers or not a play to actually get a shot off ... dh has to do better and on offense wasn’t much he had a hand in , seem like a pickup game .... things we killed KO for

AG made all his free throws which was good but the other things wasn’t
Vital wasn’t on the floor much that second half n some of the ot which I wish he was in the corner shooting instead of Adams
Polley was hot then he started forcing it
Akok was Mia don’t know the reasoning
Carlton has to be better at finishing around the basket left hand right hand or just go up and dunk the damn ball
I guess mamadou is starting his transition to become a coach , could’ve use some fouls
Bouk played good but made a freshman mistake at the end which can’t happen

Reaction Score
Even in a loss I love this team.

The fight throughout.

Good things are coming.

Keep fighting.

Reaction Score
Two. Two bad losses.
Losing to the #18 team in the country isn’t a bad loss. We just played 2 top 25 teams and arguably should’ve went 2-0. That proves we have a pretty good team. You want to choose to be pessimistic, I get it. But be rational. This isn’t a “bad” loss

Reaction Score
We gotta fix most of the flaws and get the right lineup for conference because the goal has always been to win the conference tournament. Sure a top 25 ranking would be cool right now but we still have work to do and our teams ceiling might be top 25... but everyone’s gotta come out intense every game.

Reaction Score
Look at it as growing pains. The young guys will be better down the line from games like this one. They left a win on the table but I'm not sweating this one.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I still think we may fall short of a bid when all is said and done but this game proved quite a bit to me. The idea of even this UConn team finding themselves into the East bracket could put the fear of god in any top seed (going through Albany & MSG).

Neutral court game like this going to 2OT is a nice statement. Would have won with Akok logging key mins.

Reaction Score
It is really the glass half full vs glass half empty, age-old, cliche saying.

Glass half empty, well, UConn lost and we can lament on all the mistakes.
Glass half full, well, UConn sure as heck improved a hell of a lot since St. Joes in such a short amount of time and they can learn from those mistakes.

I guess you could also view it as the glass reaching the halfway point and maybe someone will come 'round to fill it the rest of the way...Kind of somewhere in the grey area where maybe they will hopefully learn from some of those mistakes.

I see it as a partial win in just when thinking of how far they have come, wow. This team tonight is not the same team that laid an egg vs St. Joes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom