No Matter Who's Coaching, Next Year's Roster.... | The Boneyard

No Matter Who's Coaching, Next Year's Roster....

Reaction Score
Ain't close to right as far as 3 point shooting going forward. For those who say we didn't have Gilbert, he's 22% in his limited UCONN time and not known to be a strength in 3 going in, he'll probably be 30%. Jalen was going to correct that last 2 summers. If you have a starter and a bench player that are close to 40% you can afford the other poor shooters but we don't have that as far as I know. Every team we play has a knock down 3 point shooter as they demonstrate against us, so whoever coaches it's no. 1 on list of needs.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Everybody transferring out again?

On the bright side, it doesn't sound like Vital is planning on going anywhere.

He's gonna be the Purvis of this crew.

Reaction Score
I feel like we got dominated in 3pt shooting because TL wasn’t a great perimeter defender and he got a lot of minutes. Just my opinion.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not a bad thing at all if he is the Purvis of this crew.

yeah, that wasn't meant to be an insult at all.

he's an undersized 2 who bleeds blue. I hope his 3pt shooting improves like Purvis's did. Although I think Purvis's shot selection improved as well to help him out (something Vital needs too).

pj

Reaction Score
Gilbert gets everyone on the team more open shots and 3 pt shooting would rise for everyone.

Not saying we don't need better shooters, but the likes of Larrier, Vital, Polley, Adams, Matthews Jr., Akinjo should be able to hit at a decent percentage if they get open looks.

Reaction Score
I feel like we got dominated in 3pt shooting because Larrier wasn’t a great perimeter defender and he got a lot of minutes. Just my opinion.
A lot of defense is effort, and I don’t think effort was really there on defense this year. It seemed like the season was over after the Arkansas game. This team was very quick to quit on themselves after falling behind all year long.

Reaction Score
Defending the 3 we were #267 so that's a big deal. Polley has promise he was 15-36 for 41%. Jalen and Vital I expect could have modest improvement but I wouldn't bank on it. I do agree that if our offense moved the ball to create cleaner 3's the numbers would go up but we need better shooters now that larrier(.37%) is gone. Syracuse had a worse 3 point % than us but they have big and athletic bodies inside to rebound and score, not a great year for them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm prepared to accept another season without post season play for a new hire so long as there is progress. Competency would go a long way toward easing the angst we all feel.

Better sets, having people take higher percentage shots, and better defense are things a new coaching staff could implement that would make our existing players look substantially better. Our shooting this year was much harder than it had to be.

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
I'm prepared to accept another season without post season play for a new hire so long as there is progress. Competency would go a long way toward easing the angst we all feel.

Better sets, having people take higher percentage shoots, and better defense are things a new coaching staff could implement that would make our existing players look substantially better. Our shooting this year was much harder than it had to be.

I agree. There is some clear talent on this roster. but it's unrefined and undisciplined.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think that if Ollie goes, we will have a better team next year than this year. Any decent coach who comes in should be able to retain guys like Akinjo and Kisunis, maybe bring in a recruit of their own, and grab a couple grad transfers. A lot of the freshmen we had this year aren't good enough to transfer anywhere decent, and Jalen and Vital will be back, if Gilbert is healthy then that's gravy.

Reaction Score
I think that if Ollie goes, we will have a better team next year than this year. Any decent coach who comes in should be able to retain guys like Akinjo and Kisunis, maybe bring in a recruit of their own, and grab a couple grad transfers. A lot of the freshmen we had this year aren't good enough to transfer anywhere decent, and Jalen and Vital will be back, if Gilbert is healthy then that's gravy.
If Ollie goes, I'd say it's better than 50/50 that Jalen goes pro. I also think a few other players will transfer. You should consider that in this equation.

Reaction Score
If Ollie goes, I'd say it's better than 50/50 that Jalen goes pro. I also think a few other players will transfer. You should consider that in this equation.

Reaction Score
These are Wichita State level recruits..at best...without WSU level coaching. Next year will be brutal

Reaction Score

And? We failed to have a winning season 2 years in a row. Players transferred out with ollie returning, i think they’ll transfer out regardless. I think jalen will do whats best for his career regardless if Ollie stays or goes

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ain't close to right as far as 3 point shooting going forward. For those who say we didn't have Gilbert, he's 22% in his limited UCONN time and not known to be a strength in 3 going in, he'll probably be 30%. Jalen was going to correct that last 2 summers. If you have a starter and a bench player that are close to 40% you can afford the other poor shooters but we don't have that as far as I know. Every team we play has a knock down 3 point shooter as they demonstrate against us, so whoever coaches it's no. 1 on list of needs.

I care a lot less about our 3pt shooting than I do about our 3pt defense. Half of our losses can probably be attributed to getting lit up from three. Really hard to stay in games that way. The good news is that this can be coached. Also, Larrier's lackadaisical effort in that department will be gone. If the roster holds, both Akinjo and Gilbert will help just from energy alone.

As far as our 3pt shooting goes, it should be better. Subtracting Anderson and Larrier is a wash. Adding Akinjo and Matthews is a big addition. Vital should be better with better looks. I expect that Jalen's will improve if he doesn't have as much of the burden. A guy like Polley should improve as well. Gilbert will decrease the percentage, but it might end up with better looks for everyone else, thereby raising it.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’ll go out on a limb ... Polley is going to be a deadly 3 point shooter for us if we run an offense that works inside-out. Kid has a really nice stroke, as I’ve been saying all year. Starting with Tulsa on 2/15 he got 20 minutes per game and was 9 for 13. (He got 6 minutes and no 3’s against SMU). This year the offense rarely dumped it inside, and only kicked it out as a last resort. The guy catching inside has to think 3 options at the same time:
  • Do I have my own?
  • Is there a cutter, or a defender watching the ball?
  • Is there an open shooter outside, usually opposite?
That decision has to happen quick, and the ball has to move. That’s one way to get an open 3.

Another way to get open 3’s within the offense is to screen away from the ball. We never do that.

Reaction Score
Gilbert would have helped 3 pt shooting by getting the ball to shooters in better position. Better shots = better %.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom