No Longer “Playing for Next Year” | The Boneyard

No Longer “Playing for Next Year”

Reaction Score
Hypothetically speaking, Creighton could lose to Xavier today and Villanova on Wednesday. Assuming they take care of business against Butler next weekend, that puts them at 14-6 (.700).

Let’s say we find a way to win @ Seton Hall and at home against Georgetown, we end up at 11-6 (.647).

Can’t look back now, but it’s worth noting that we’re a couple free throws away (either against Creighton or St. John’s) from finishing 2nd in the Big East. If we flipped one of those results, our conference record (again, all hypothetical) would be 12-5 (.705).

Who knows what that record would look like if Bouknight didn’t miss 8 games - but my guess is there would be at least a couple more victories in the win column.

My overall point? We are legit when we’re at full strength. This team is not “playing for next year”, we’re a team that can do some postseason damage starting on March 9th. I think we have a special roster that’s extremely capable of reaching the second weekend and beyond.

Let’s enjoy it while it lasts. Sit back, relax, and we’ll see what James Bouknight can do to immortalize his legacy in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I am hoping Bouk gives us one more year. It would be great for him in our program, but, if he's like the NBA is it, I will miss him and wish him the best. But, Mr. Bouknight, why not stick around to grab #5 with us... ?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not sure anybody thought we were playing for next year. I sure didn’t. This is a legit top 25 team at full strength, and that includes Jackson, not just Bouknight. If Akok was healthy and back all the way, we would be a final four contender. Even so, there are very few teams I don’t think we can beat. Of course we can also lose games we shouldn’t. Such is college basketball, especially this year.

Kansas has looked terrible at times this year, and just beat Baylor.

Reaction Score
Not sure anybody thought we were playing for next year. I sure didn’t. This is a legit top 25 team at full strength, and that includes Jackson, not just Bouknight. If Akok was healthy and back all the way, we would be a final four contender. Even so, there are very few teams I don’t think we can beat. Of course we can also lose games we shouldn’t. Such is college basketball, especially this year.

Kansas has looked terrible at times this year, and just beat Baylor.

Yeah I don't know where this "next year" stuff came from.

Baylor has looked a bit shaky since coming off the most recent COVID pause.

Reaction Score

They are far better than their record if they were healthy this year but I'm more surprised how many board members think next season is a rebuilding year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They are far better than their record if they were healthy this year but I'm more surprised how many board members think next season is a rebuilding year.

I‘m not sure they realize that Sanogo and Jackson are going to improve, maybe Gaffney as well, and the guys coming in will be good. Need Akok back though to make the roster work. Cole and Martin will be senior leaders. And we still have two open ships for possible grad transfers or freshmen.

Reaction Score
Jackson + Jordan Hawkins.

Yeah I mean neither one of those guys can do what he does, in terms of putting the ball in his hands and saying "go get a bucket."

They certainly bring other things to the table, but not that. It doesn't mean next year's team won't be good. They might actually be more diverse offensively depending on how Akok recovers.

Reaction Score
We should be damn good next year.
Seriously.

I was watching a replay of the 2005 game vs. NC State just to remember what that era was like, and that was a team that lost the #2 and #3 picks in the NBA draft, but came back and earned a 2-seed with a dominant frontcourt and was in the top 10 in a bunch of defensive and offensive categories.

There's no reason this program can't be at that level with the guys we're bringing in.

Reaction Score

I think that will help us in the eyes of the committee. Showing that a COVID pause is really hard to overcome. And we’ve had 3

Reaction Score
As soon as it was evident Bouk was leaving things changed. No longer "rebuilding". Forced into a win now mindset because next year's team will not be the same. Maybe still good, but very different.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Who are the players who can create their own shot?
That could be an issue without Bouknight but Cole just scored 21 points almost entirely off creating his own shots. I’m not saying I like Cole going one on one all the time but he is capable.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We should be damn good next year.
Next year reminds me a lot of going into 2010-11. Went into that year thinking we were a year or 2 away with so many young guys on the roster. Same feeling for next year with our core of talent being freshmen and sophomores. But if Cole can step into that Kemba / senior Bazz role (why not?) I think we are going to surprise a lot of people, including many in our own fan base.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom