No killer instinct | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No killer instinct

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Tampa Bill is clearly a troll. I feel dumb for responding in his Melo>AD thread.

Reaction Score
Somebody on here came up with the idea that Fairfield was somehow a good team, and everybody else seems to be rolling with it. All we need is a quick look at the schedule to figure out that this is not a good team. No wins of note, but losses to:

Providence by eight
Minnesota by ten
Dayton by seven
Indiana State by six

I mean, they are a nice mid-major team, but let's stop pretending they should have given UConn any trouble. And really, UConn wasn't having any trouble at all until they started to sleep walk their way through the second half, thinking they could just turn it on whenever the lead was trimmed.

Problem is, when you turn the car off, sometimes it takes a while to re-start the engine and wipe the forst off the windshield. Meanwhile, Fairfield is in high gear zooming down the highway at 90 MPH. Now, we may have a nice sports car while they have one of those ugly mini vans, but you can't speed the car up until you start the car!

I'll grant you, Fairfield hit some tough shots in that second half, and actually played pretty well. But the intensity UConn played with in the second half was pretty pathetic.

This team gets a little proud of themselves at times. Facts are, they haven't accomplished anything yet, and they still have a ways to go before they can approach the level of play last years team displayed. They may be National Champs, but sometimes defending champs tend to forget just how hard it was to win the National Championship, and begin to think the next championship will be easier to come by. The team is begginning to understand the difference between being the hunters and the hunted. Everybody is gunning for you, and if you let your guard down for even five minutes, that lead can shrink in a hurry.

Two guys that seem to have fallen into this trap are Alex Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith. I wasn't expecting those two to come in and blow the doors off the gym, but they actually seem to have regressed. Maybe for Alex part of it is learning to play with Drummond, but he had two rebounds tonight. That's not the first time he's had less than five rebounds in a game. Roscoe hasn't brought the same consistent effort he did last year.

If you want to defend that title, it is going to require a little more effort, a little more focus. You have to be on your toes every game, for a full 40 minutes. I know it is tough to get up for Fairfield, but this team has to lose the sense of entitlement that they seem to have acquired from last years run.

You may just think I'm ranting here, and that there is nothing to be conerned about. You're probably right, but some of the same things I saw during the UCF debacle showed themselves again tonight. There is no excuse for allowing a mid-major to outscore you by 14 in a half in your home gym. If this team is going to reach its potential, it will require maxium effort and focus, whether it be against Fairfield or Syracuse. Taking plays off is a really bad habit, hopefully they end it before long.

Reaction Score
Freshmen and Soph, and they should destroy everybody by 30, please stop with the sill post

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Seems like AO is headed back into hibernation. Hopefully he'll decide to wake up in time for the WVU game.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid that a duel between these two would not rise to the level of Burr and Hamilton. But it might be entertaining nevertheless.
Aaron Burr did have a house in Fairfield. He literally had a killer instinct.

Reaction Score
Hey Bud,

I am 6'6" 250.

Where can we meet so you can call me jackass to my face?

internet_tough_guy_-_because_its_easy_to_be_a_6_foot_4_olympic_powerlifter_and_streetfighting_god_from_behind_the_confines_of_a_keyboard.jpg

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Offense definitely stagnating during the 11 min stretch where they hammered us by 19 points. They need more movement of players and the ball...like that highlight where Rafferty said they were like the 1970 Knicks. JC seems to feel the same way because you can hear him yelling "move"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox