No goaltend | The Boneyard

No goaltend

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The shot had no chance of going in but Jackson blocking it where he did basically forced the refs to call it goaltending. He was out if control on that play and it was in one of a few short stretches last night where he was trying to do far too much.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thought it was a bad call when I saw it live and it's still a bad call this morning.

And the main reason why it was such a bad call is the ref who called it was on the opposite side of the baseline meaning he had zero depth or perception of the relationship between ball and rim. He was blocked by the backboard, rim/net, and Jackson and had no reason to make that call.

I won't piss and moan about the refs that much but what really grinds my gears is when one ref who has the proper position to make a call doesn't blow the whistle and another ref from a much further distance with a worse perspective makes the call.

Reaction Score
Goaltend or not, it's not the first time AJ has done that this year. He has absolutely nothing to gain from doing that; the foul had already been whistled, and just grabbing the ball after it comes off is a much better option than trying to smash it into the crowd. For a guy with supposed great BBIQ, he makes some of these bonehead plays that just completely shift momentum back to them, like throwing an alleyoop to a guy with a 15" vertical at a huge spot in the game.

Reaction Score
Goaltending is one play where I wish they would change the rules to make reviewing it standard. I wouldn’t mind a slight delay in the game flow to get that call right… Because it is basically a guaranteed two points on the line.

All of these prolonged delays under a couple minutes to go to decide whether to add a fraction of a second on the clock where most of the time it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever is getting out of hand… Essentially ends up being 3 to 4 free timeouts and disruptions of game flow…

Reaction Score
Watch this call. It hit the backboard, then the rim, and was bouncing down away from the rim before Ajax touched it. Terrible call. Around 14:30. ZERO CHANCE OF GOING IN. It's called gravity.

AJax was in mid-air when the whistle blew and the ball had clearly bounced off the rim. Great aggressive rebound by AJax.

There was another call where Sanogo was whistled because his feet were cemented to the ground and the offensive player (nunge?) came down and grazed Sanogo's shoulder. It was the furthest thing from a foul. Some of these refs just hav no business.

Reaction Score
Goaltending is one play where I wish they would change the rules to make reviewing it standard. I wouldn’t mind a slight delay in the game flow to get that call right… Because it is basically a guaranteed two points on the line.

All of these prolonged delays under a couple minutes to go to decide whether to add a fraction of a second on the clock where most of the time it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever is getting out of hand… Essentially ends up being 3 to 4 free timeouts and disruptions of game flow…
These play reviews and adding seconds to the clock are becoming the bane of basketball, much like all the pitching changes in baseball. Many basketball games are running well over 2 hrs. We certainly were out coached with the discussion over whether the technical foul was counted and the long delays that created. A very clever move by Z.

Reaction Score

It's also a call that is REALLY difficult to get right in real time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The shot had no chance of going in but Jackson blocking it where he did basically forced the refs to call it goaltending. He was out if control on that play and it was in one of a few short stretches last night where he was trying to do far too much.
Yes, it was already not going to be a basket and he had no business flying in like that. Just not a very smart play, but that's becoming way too common.

Reaction Score
I thought the call was close enough that it didn't matter to me. Looked like a goaltend to me in real time, and I still can't really tell if it is or isn't. It kind of looks like the ball hits the rim again after Jackson swats it.

Either way, I had minimal issues with the refs in this game. Thought it was called fairly, and was actually thinking during the game that the refs may have finally forgiven Hurley and are moving on.

Reaction Score
If the ball has any contact with the rim it is a Goaltend. I thought the ball was still touching the rim.
This. Ball was still touching the side of the rim. Ref was in horrible position to make the call, but Andre had nothing to gain doing what he did. Over the last month, he has exhibited poor self-control. His pogo-stick jumping at the three-point line left Xavier with a few easy made 3’s once he floated past them.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If the ball has any contact with the rim it is a Goaltend. I thought the ball was still touching the rim.
Not really even close.

1674743765287.png

Also, fairly amazed Jax didn't get hurt on that. Helluva fall right on his back.

Reaction Score
Really stupid play by Jackson. His athletic ability is absurd but he just has no clue how to reign it in and play within the rules sometimes. Like I get his motor and wanting to go balls to the wall everything play but you no need to be able to contain yourself sometimes. He needs to stop trying to make these freak plays. This team needs him to play solid defensive, stay out of foul trouble and provide a bunch of energy.

Reaction Score
Agreed, not the right call (but a really tough one to make live), but there was just zero reason for Jackson to put the refs in a situation to make that call.

Reaction Score
I get that it's a tough call, but in real time I thought it was a bad call and the replay confirmed it. Is that not something they can review? Seems like they should be able to review it on a dead ball.

Regardless...very stupid play by Andre. Both things can be true. We had a ton of momentum and them being gifted an And 1 really hurt that momentum. Just a normal 2 shot foul wouldn't have hurt nearly as much.

Reaction Score
He is not a winning player. Nor are you going to win with him in a prominent role

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom