No Gilbert, no Cobb, no Larrier and Adams shows up 35 minutes late | The Boneyard

No Gilbert, no Cobb, no Larrier and Adams shows up 35 minutes late

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Down 4 starters, the Huskies gutted out a win. Thankfully Vital showed up today

Does Larrier have the flu or something? He looked a tad bit out of it last night

And Jalen, please play hard for all 40 minutes, this team can't win without you giving it your all. If you played the first 35 liked you played the last 10, this game would not have been so competitive

Still jelling

Reaction Score
Yes, I think people need to step away from the ledge. Our 2 best players were a combined 8 for 27 last night (29%) and we were missing Gilbert and Cobb. I’m betting we won’t have too many games where our 3 top players are so off. If that happened against Cincy or Wichita State we are toast.

If we lose that Arkansas game by 10 points instead of 35, most on here would not be calling for Ollie’s head.

I would like to see them put in some motion offense where someone sets a screen for Larrier so he can get at least 4-5 open looks a game from the free throw area. JC used to run those curls for Rip and he’d have wide open catch and shoot opportunities, but Larrier would have to work for it. Often times UConn would run 3-4 curl plays for Rip on one possession before they got the look they wanted.

I’m optimistic after seeing Diarra’s play last night if he can learn to not foul and stay on the court. He’s got a great nose for the ball and he and Cobb can give us just enough inside presence to open up the offense. We don’t need 20-30 points per game from our bigs, but we need more than zero.

Vital is a beast and he will be our “shooter”. One thing JA did do a great job of even when he wasn’t making shots early was driving and kicking to Vital. JA needs to spend some time with CV in the gym shooting. All of JA’s shots look like they’re going in but he’s front rimming everything. We will get better, this team is figuring it out and has enough good pieces that they should be able to pull out some nice wins. Defense still needs to improve and this is one area where missing Gilbert really hurts.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We need Cobb back for Saturday to get the rust off for cuse. Then Carlton and diarra are the next ones off the bench. Anderson still drives me crazy with his one on ones and jacking threes

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Maybe we’re looking at this the wrong way?

Why would Adams and Larrier give 110% to a coach who appears to be giving 75%?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Bazz thinks Ollie is all about working hard, his NBA career suggests he's all about working hard

So I'm doing to take the word of a man who walked the walk and understands the journey

And young teams take time to jell, while players returning from very serious season ending injuries need to work themselves back into game playing shape

I think too many people around here have unrealistic expectations for this team so early in the season.

Reaction Score
Vital scored big against BU and Columbia but not in Portland. I love the kid and feel he's a future cornerstone. But let's pump the brakes on his skills and abilities until its proven against legit teams. He had a chance last holiday weekend and will get many more this season.

As a sophomore he's in a good position and is continually developing. I will say he is right where he's supposed to be. He's a keeper who I hope Ollie can develop his potential.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Vital scored big against BU and Columbia but not in Portland. I love the kid and feel he's a future cornerstone. But let's pump the brakes on his skills and abilities until its proven against legit teams. He had a chance last holiday weekend and will get many more this season.

As a sophomore he's in a good position and is continually developing. I will say he is right where he's supposed to be. He's a keeper who I hope Ollie can develop his potential.
I agree 100%. However, how much playing time did he get in Oregon? Not sure. Seems when he gets the minutes, he goes off. He needs to play. Although it was Columbia, he still needs to put the ball in the hoop. He did. My opinion only, he proved his worth as a freshman. Maybe Ollie is using reverse physcology. Don't start him so he goes off to prove a point. I don't know. I like the kid. He has energy.

Reaction Score
Why was the sniper putting his hand to his mouth and shushing the crowd after he hit a 3 late in the game? Did he think it was a road game or was that a direct shot at the Boneyard?

Reaction Score
Even without Cobb, Whaley and Gilbert, we still have 7 quality players in Adams, Larrier, Vital, Polley, Diarra, Anderson and Carlton. How does a team with that much talent need to go to overtime at home to beat a Columbia team that has only won 1 game? You would think that collection of talent could steamroll Columbia by double digits.

Reaction Score
Why was the sniper putting his hand to his mouth and shushing the crowd after he hit a 3 late in the game? Did he think it was a road game or was that a direct shot at the Boneyard?

At the Time I was thinking, cut out the theatrics and get your back on D.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
There is nothing to be happy about. We beat a average Ivy league team in OT at home. This might as well have been an exhibition game. The next real game is against Cuse at MSG, if we play the same game against them we could lose by 20+ again.

Reaction Score
Step away from the ledge? Such a dumb analogy. Just tell people to calm down, but jesus, making light of people who actually jump is weak.

Reaction Score
No, it is stupid. Do you have a proper response? Don't mind entering into an actual conversation about this. You know, some people actually know people who have...you know, jumped.

polycom

Reaction Score
Step away from the ledge? Such a dumb analogy. Just tell people to calm down, but jesus, making light of people who actually jump is weak.

This assumption is insane. Why do you think the OP was trying to put down people who judge off ledges, it's a saying in American culture. Are you saying it should be given the same treatment as slurs that target; gays, mentally challenged or black people?

Reaction Score
This assumption is insane. Why do you think the OP was trying to put down people who judge off ledges, it's a saying in American culture. Are you saying it should be given the same treatment as slurs that target; gays, mentally challenged or black people?
Well, a lot of things people say can unknowingly cause more of an impact than they realize. Sorry, it just struck a personal chord.

polycom

Reaction Score
Well, a lot of things people say can unknowingly cause more of an impact than they realize. Sorry, it just struck a personal chord.

Fair I get that, however we as a society can't keep moving on this spectrum of controlling all speech. People are going to feel uncomfortable, if we say that we have to police everything until no one is offended or made to feel uncomfortable we won't have a society anymore. /rant

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Seems like there are always some excuse for the chronic inconsistency of Ollie’s
‘s teams. Guys missing or inexperienced shouldn’t be an explanation for lack of consistency on D. Or rebounding energy. Or lack of an offensive scheme.

Reaction Score
Fair I get that, however we as a society can't keep moving on this spectrum of controlling all speech. People are going to feel uncomfortable, if we say that we have to police everything until no one is offended or made to feel uncomfortable we won't have a society anymore. /rant
Ok, ya, policing speech is going too far. I agree. Sorry if that is what it seemed like I was doing. Thanks for the conversation too.

Any way, I am really hoping Cobb comes back for the weekend, any updates?

Seems like there are always some excuse for the chronic inconsistency of Ollie’s
‘s teams. Guys missing or inexperienced shouldn’t be an explanation for lack of consistency on D. Or rebounding energy. Or lack of an offensive scheme.

I agree with this. When was the last time an Ollie team just lost? Not because of this or that ....

Reaction Score
If it’s and buts we’re candied nuts we’d all have a hell of a Christmas.

If my aunt was a man she’d be my uncle.

If we lost to Arkansas by 10 nobody would be this upset.

Reaction Score
No, it is stupid. Do you have a proper response? Don't mind entering into an actual conversation about this. You know, some people actually know people who have...you know, jumped.

Yes and some people's families have been decimated by cancer, or divorce, or drug abuse, or alcoholism... Does that mean all of these things should be off limits in joking around, making light of a situation? NO

I'm sorry you know someone who suffered from depression and committed suicide, don't expect your experiences to govern a message board full of people with their own experiences.

Reaction Score
There is nothing to be happy about. We beat a average Ivy league team in OT at home. This might as well have been an exhibition game. The next real game is against Cuse at MSG, if we play the same game against them we could lose by 20+ again.
Correct. Our next game is Cuse, the one after that Nova, the one after that WS. Are we supposed to look at our schedule and say we’ll always have Oregon? I think that even though we are deficient in the frontcourt we should have enough quality on our roster to at least take those games to the wire. with good coaching. At this point in the season I’m not even looking for the win, just make it competitive and get us to January and start improving.

polycom

Reaction Score
Correct. Our next game is Cuse, the one after that Nova, the one after that WS. Are we supposed to look at our schedule and say we’ll always have Oregon? I think that even though we are deficient in the frontcourt we should have enough quality on our roster to at least take those games to the wire. with good coaching. At this point in the season I’m not even looking for the win, just make it competitive and get us to January and start improving.

There was a time that we didn't even care until January because of all the cupcakes we'd play before conference days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom