No foul up 3? | The Boneyard

No foul up 3?

Reaction Score
It is a philosophical difference. Some coaches foul up 3, some don't. Others it depends on the opponent... Hurley is never going to foul in that situation, and it was definitely the right call. SJU is not a great 3 point shooting team and we had defended them well all night.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was hoping we would but by the time there was 7 or so seconds it was clear they weren’t going to get a good look

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
If fouling increases the likelihood of winning in regulation by 20% decreases the likelihood of going to overtime by 25% and increases the likelihood of losing in regulation by 5% do you do it?

The numbers are made up but the dilemma is the same. If you foul, you open the door for losing scenarios.

Calhouns philosophy was dont increase your chances of losing and winning. Take your chances with Tie as the worst case scenario.

He was a pretty good coach.

Reaction Score
I'm on the side of fouling up 3, but not today. We were in great position the whole possession and a foul would have bailed out St John's

Reaction Score
I'm on the side of fouling up 3, but not today. We were in great position the whole possession and a foul would have bailed out St John's
In my opinion you just have to be flexible. Overall. And we all agree that maybe Hurley’s biggest weakness. He is stubborn.

With Whaley, Jackson, Martin in the game rebounding I think there is a much better chance of a prayer 3 going in vs us not rebounding a FT.

You add in how poorly they were shooting free throws and how poor of an offensive rebounding team they are…you foul.

I don’t know if I have the same strategy against say Nova with how good they short their free throws.

But overall point in my opinion is to stay unpredictable. It’s been my concern lately is that we are such an easy scout. Well the whole world knows Hurley will never ever foul in that situation and can plan against that. Compare that to planning if you think they may foul you and you need a 3 maybe you run something different to move the ball quicker?

Reaction Score
In my opinion you just have to be flexible. Overall. And we all agree that maybe Hurley’s biggest weakness. He is stubborn.

With Whaley, Jackson, Martin in the game rebounding I think there is a much better chance of a prayer 3 going in vs us not rebounding a FT.

You add in how poorly they were shooting free throws and how poor of an offensive rebounding team they are…you foul.

I don’t know if I have the same strategy against say Nova with how good they short their free throws.

But overall point in my opinion is to stay unpredictable. It’s been my concern lately is that we are such an easy scout. Well the whole world knows Hurley will never ever foul in that situation and can plan against that. Compare that to planning if you think they may foul you and you need a 3 maybe you run something different to move the ball quicker?
Then we don't agree on that. The chances of them making a prayer 3 at all the specific points we could have fouled are significantly lower. It's not like it was a case of a few seconds on the clock either, there were 8-12 seconds which is plenty of time to try and make both and get another possession

Reaction Score
I think it's smart to foul at times. In this case I don't care about anything else other than it worked. Amazing D. Just happy with the W. Sometimes it's as simple as " whatever works."

Reaction Score
If you foul you bring in remote chance of losing with 1st free throw made, missed 2nd FT rebound and a 3. So play good D and at worst OT.

Didn't Polley make a 3 off a missed FT for us against Auburn? What a crazy game that was.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why foul in that situation? I’m pretty sure at that point we were still in the 1 and 1, all it would have taken was 2 St Johns makes, a quick foul, missed free throw by us and St Johns is down 1 with time and the clock. Doesn’t make sense to foul in that situation.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Our lack of ballhandling makes this choice, too. You need to get the ball inbounds again, if you foul. Last time down, RJ "got fouled"

Easy and correct call by Hurley.

Reaction Score
In the NBA, this hasn't been a decision for a few years. You foul up three; everyone does it. Of course, there are better shooters in the NBA than in college.

Still, for our team, I'd always foul. We're an elite rebounding team and St. John's was 54% from the stripe yesterday.

Reaction Score
In the NBA, this hasn't been a decision for a few years. You foul up three; everyone does it. Of course, there are better shooters in the NBA than in college.

Still, for our team, I'd always foul. We're an elite rebounding team and St. John's was 54% from the stripe yesterday.
I look at it differently. St. John's needed a 3. They were 5-21 from 3 yesterday, for 23.8%. We know it's coming, defend it right and it's a low % heave. That's exactly how it played out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

But we are a bad inbounding team. I think it's situational. Against some teams you foul. Others you don't. Yesterday not fouling was the clear call because you only have to guard 2-3 guys. People forget the risk of inbounding the ball, especially if you run out of time outs and get a 5 second call. A steal and a layup ends the game. So does an offensive foul. Look at that foul call on Cole late, that very easily could have been a turnover instead.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I would never foul in that spot. Anytime, anywhere, any game. Play some D. Also, a poll would have been nice. What’s up with people posting questions like this without a poll?!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
But we are a bad inbounding team. I think it's situational. Against some teams you foul. Others you don't. Yesterday not fouling was the clear call because you only have to guard 2-3 guys. People forget the risk of inbounding the ball, especially if you run out of time outs and get a 5 second call. A steal and a layup ends the game. So does an offensive foul. Look at that foul call on Cole late, that very easily could have been a turnover instead.

There was an argument to foul that Donny mentioned based on how horrendous at the line St. John's is, but I thought that was prob overthinking the entire situation.

I'm always a foul up 3 guy, but I have to be fair- they defended that situation as well as any single possession all year. Once St. John's didn't get the second upfake to bite, I didn't want any fouls because it was clear UConn was smothering them safely.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is a math debate just like shooting more 3 and lays ups v. midrange 2s. It worked out in this situation, but I don't think you should consider the result in whether or not it's the right thing to do because that's not how math works.

Reaction Score
Should Hurley have fouled when we were up 3?
Are you a coach?

If so, I feel like coaches have more bias ini favor of that rule. Like, I coach at a level where the likelihood of hitting a miracle three is higher than a player hitting both free throws, gaining possession and then hitting another shot.

However, in D1 and NBA, there's way more strategy to that rule.

In summary, I would have fouled, but a win is a win.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would have fouled in that particular situation, knowing the issues that St Johns have had at the line this year. St Johns was not a big team and I am fairly comfortable thinking UConn would have gotten the rebound off a missed FT. Also this program is snake bitten with unconventional shots going in for opposing teams.
But basically its a crap shoot
I'm wondering if DH actually even thought about fouling

Reaction Score
Are you a coach?

If so, I feel like coaches have more bias ini favor of that rule. Like, I coach at a level where the likelihood of hitting a miracle three is higher than a player hitting both free throws, gaining possession and then hitting another shot.

However, in D1 and NBA, there's way more strategy to that rule.

In summary, I would have fouled, but a win is a win.

Not a coach. But I'm pretty much in favor of fouling when up 3 almost in every situation. But glad it worked out. Hurley coached a good game and team came out with a needed W.

Reaction Score
It is a philosophical difference. Some coaches foul up 3, some don't. Others it depends on the opponent... Hurley is never going to foul in that situation, and it was definitely the right call. SJU is not a great 3 point shooting team and we had defended them well all night.
Eh, he begs to differ. Said he was yelling to his guys to "take one".

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Eh, he begs to differ. Said he was yelling to his guys to "take one".

The Hurley lovers are going to be confused by this quote lol. Didn't we come out of a timeout in this situation before we hit our free throws and SJ came down the court wasn't their a time out why didn't he tell his team what he wanted done on defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom