No First Night in 2017 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No First Night in 2017

Reaction Score
Not good First Night has become the inaugural institution to the college basketball landscape.

It's important for the players, fans, media, recruits, marketing etc. especially in this day and age.

When prospective UCONN recruits see Kentucky's Dukes Kansass Arizona Nova etc on First Night and they don't see UCONN how are they going to react. Being in the AAC it is even more for our brand.

Reaction Score
I know everybody hates to compare us to other teams, but, this really does hurt our national perception. Look at the squid and UK, they had Drake (Yeah I know none of you give a about him) show up and were in the news for weeks. We live in a different time now, and any type of exposure is good exposure. It's all about getting your name out there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hearing they will be scrimmaging the womens team instead in the new basketball center but no fans or media allowed, only Chief and Deepster get special invites.

Pure punishment for Deep. You'd have to strap him to a chair Clockwork Orange style.

1135340.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm sure money is the issue they don't do it at the XL. We have truly hit mid major status

C

Chief00

Clyde and Bunkey. Boom.

Imagine Clyde working Bigs on the court and Carlos Daniels schooling them in the weight room. Then a little fun with Bunkey on the weekend. What a program!

C

Chief00

At this rate, the next change UConn is going to announce is the hiring of Bunkey as an Assistant Coach.

Seriously though, this is a bummer. I like First Night! Especially would have been cool to have some sort of introduction to all of the new faces on the team.

It's nice to have an AD who listens and takes action. In many ways we think alike.

C

Chief00

As you know, I am not a big coed first night fan; as the coed aspects of the "game" or really exhibition doesn't built toughness, which we will need very early in the season.

Jim never hid the fact he did not like these games but acknowledge there was some recruiting and perhaps marketing pluses to it. I know some and even many casual fans prefer these coed exhibitions to actual competitive games. I won't criticize them for it, that's their right and perhaps it will generate enough of interest they will buy a ticket to an actual game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So a few thoughts...

1. Keep in mind that holding First Night at an alternate venue is considerably more costly than holding it at Gampel. That is an issue for a free event.

2. First Night was really aimed at the students, who are going to be less likely to attend off campus.

3. The timing of the roof project was done during the off season to minimize the impact on the basketball programs. Unfortunately, First Night falls in that period.

4. Actually the place to do it would be in the student union quad. Can't have a game (without building a temp court) but could do a pep rally and introduce the players, have the pep band play, let the coaches speak etc. Add to it a light show, that blow torchy thing and maybe some bands and we've got a semi-decent, but cost effective event.

C

Chief00

So a few thoughts...

1. Keep in mind that holding First Night at an alternate venue is considerably more costly than holding it at Gampel. That is an issue for a free event.

2. First Night was really aimed at the students, who are going to be less likely to attend off campus.

3. The timing of the roof project was done during the off season to minimize the impact on the basketball programs. Unfortunately, First Night falls in that period.

4. Actually the place to do it would be in the student union quad. Can't have a game (without building a temp court) but could do a pep rally and introduce the players, have the pep band play, let the coaches speak etc. Add to it a light show, that blow torchy thing and maybe some bands and we've got a semi-decent, but cost effective event.
Do they still have the Field House portable wooden court - put it over grass in the Quad and you would have some fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom