No complaints- Creighton game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No complaints- Creighton game

Reaction Score
We’re proud of our team we are. We are. We’re proud of our team we are! Whether we win or whether we lose, we’re proud of our team we are, we are!

Let’s all join in, right superjohn? Yeesh!

Can we play some offense besides dribble, pass around the perimeter, dribble some more then when there is 8 seconds left either drive into the teeth of the d or hoist an ill advised 3? It is almost like the whole offense is waste most of the clock outside, throw up a bad shot and hope to get the rebound and score on that.
9B7FCEF6-10E6-478A-842E-6E490F3CF712.jpeg

Reaction Score
Need someone that can get their shot. Grad transfer or transfer with quickness. Have too many slow guards. Very simple. Rest of pieces in place. Need combo guard like Boat, Fatts, etc. Doesn't have to be that elite obv, but in that vein. We have sooooooooooo many guys that are limited athletically. So many.

As long as we don't sh#t the bed the rest of the season, should be easy for transfers to see the momentum we have and fill that spot.

Reaction Score
From what others have said I doubt Hawkins would be played as a guard, or a 2. I forget who, may be Ucann, said that his handle is very questionable right now.

You just described Gaffney and he's our back up PG

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with the OP that Creighton is just better than UConn without Bouk. I don't think Creighton is overrated. I thought they were going to put UConn away in the first half to be honest.

Reaction Score
What has AJax shown so far? He is still a deer in headlights. A broken wrist has set him back more.
He missed preaseason due to injury and only took 7 shots all season before breaking his wrist. We haven't seen him yet but he's one of our most talented players.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
First game they blew an earned win. This time they blew a chance to steal one, but still acquitted themselves.

I'd just like to see them make the more simple plays.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Polley should be starting at this point - he's better to have in there than Adams. Took way too long to get him in during the 1st half, but he was quick to get subbed in for the 2nd.

Reaction Score
I agree. The problems I saw today were those that only recruiting can fix (mostly). I was fine with the loss.
It seems like we have blamed recruiting for many years. I don't see any Top 10 recruits walking through the door anytime soon. Only when that happens will people stop blaming recruiting.

Reaction Score
Sanogo just looked like he was too roarin' to go a the beginning of game. I wonder if he was told he was going to be 'leaned on' at the beginning and was just excited knowing the ball was coming his way.

Cole was solid today. That said, I think Hurley should tell him, Gaffney and Adams, unless it's a a singe dribble after a pump fake to and fly by of the defender, to rest your feet, they aren't allowed to shoot a 3 unless it's just off the catch.

Finally, I love Polley's shot and understand having him out there, but there has to be a few times when he watches the game instead of playing defense he needs a quick hook to send a message. Being asked to guard a smaller guy and getting beat off the dribble is one thing, but standing and not moving is totally different.

Reaction Score
Cole, Gaffney, Diggins, Hawkins, Adams

Then wings Jackson and Martin

Akok at the 4

Sanogo at the 5, backed up by Johnson.

Maybe spot minutes up front for Springs.
Springs will have to play a lot next year. He will be our backup center to Sanogo. And if Johnson isn’t ready next year, Springs will also need to backup Akok.

How’s that look? Huge unknown.

We’re losing Bouk, Whaley, Carlton, and Polley. That’s a lot to ask three incoming freshmen to replace.

I’m not sure we’ll be better next year. Maybe the year after.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
He missed preaseason due to injury and only took 7 shots all season before breaking his wrist. We haven't seen him yet but he's one of our most talented players.
I don't disagree on the talent but it seems like some folks are partially pinning their hopes on A-Jax returning for the stretch run and making a huge impact which I think is a little ambitious. He was a bit lost early in the year vs the cupcakes so I don't know that I'd feel great about throwing him out there for significant minutes in what are probably going to be must win games after sitting for months.

Reaction Score
If he can figure out how to play D without fouling he’s very, very dangerous. The only things limiting him right now are his foul trouble and Hurley.

I fully agree about how good he is likely to be. But in addition to fouling out in 20 minutes, he had at least 6 turnovers I recall in those 20 minutes. That’s an almost impossible rate for a big. All the talent in the world, but he is a long, long way from utilizing it well enough to be a large net positive.

Reaction Score
I fully agree about how good he is likely to be. But in addition to fouling out in 20 minutes, he had at least 6 turnovers I recall in those 20 minutes. That’s an almost impossible rate for a big. All the talent in the world, but he is a long, long way from utilizing it well enough to be a large net positive.

I don't think he's that far away. The turnovers were virtually all when he tried to do something too far away from the basket. That's an issue that's easily fixed.

His footwork and touch around the rim are amazing. I see him having a major positive impact very soon.

Reaction Score
I agree with premise of the OP. Knew going in we would lose, and even though we made runs during the game never had a real chance. I was just more focused on individual players making strides in their game for when we are healthy. Much different feel from the St. John's game. One issue though - what's good with our bigs in transition? Sanogo went coast to coast and turned it over. Carlton threw one about ten feet off the backboard. I think in the St. John's game Whaley ran into whoever was dribbling and suddenly had the ball. Against Marquette Whaley threw a pass off Carlton's face. @tcf15 Any chance you can make a "highlight" of our bigs leading the fast break, lol?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
You know who we could really use right now? Christian Vital.

Reaction Score
You know who we could really use right now? Christian Vital.
Ray Allen would certainly be useful. Rip Hamilton would be too. I'd even take Emeka Okafor although he doesn't play a similar position. Donyell Marshall? Ben Gordon? Imagine having Kemba on this team? There are a lot of past UConn players who exhausted their eligibility or went pro who would take this team to another level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure but I’ve heard this for 6 years now about “next years recruits”.

Well, we've had very good "next year's recruits" for two seasons now. It takes 4 years of recruits to have a program firing top to bottom on all cylinders. If we're in year 4 and still have gaping skills gaps on our team, then we can be concerned.

Bouk, Akok, Jackson, Sanogo, Reese are all clearly talented kids that elevate our program in one way or another. Obviously, injury has put a damper on that somewhat. But the talent is obvious.

Reaction Score
Springs will have to play a lot next year. He will be our backup center to Sanogo. And if Johnson isn’t ready next year, Springs will also need to backup Akok.

How’s that look? Huge unknown.

We’re losing Bouk, Whaley, Carlton, and Polley. That’s a lot to ask three incoming freshmen to replace.

I’m not sure we’ll be better next year. Maybe the year after.
Isn't there some value in playing Springs for a few minutes in a game like yesterday to waste a few fouls on him vs AS/JC/IW and letting them get into foul trouble?

Does Hurley restrict guys from dunking? Just once before JC leaves Storrs I would like to see him dunk on a smaller defender. Let alone one his size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom