No Chris Walker for Florida on Dec. 2 | The Boneyard

No Chris Walker for Florida on Dec. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sources say he will enroll for the second semester if he gets NCAA clearance. Probably not a huge deal for UConn's game against Florida but it's another big body they won't have to contend with.

A source told CBSSports.com that Walker's new goal is to complete his coursework, submit it to the NCAA, get cleared academically and enroll at Florida in December. He could in theory be eligible to practice and play as soon as final exams are completed at Florida on Dec. 13. The Gators' first game after that date is against Memphis in the Jimmy V Classic on Dec. 17 at New York's Madison Square Garden.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...walker-not-enrolling-at-florida-this-semester

Reaction Score
It's too bad he can't play, but Florida is still plenty good without him - they return Wilbekin and Young and add five star PG Kasey Hill and five star transfer Dorian Finney-Smith. They're plenty deep in the front court with Yeguete returning from injury. Their ceiling is certainly much lower without him, and it sucks that we will have to deal with the "UConn beat Florida, but without Chris Walker..." rhetoric, but they are still a top 15 team without him by any measure.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
We need the strongest occ possible. Shame
Not a shame at all. Beat them without him in regular season and then beat them with him in the post season. They will make the mistake that the reason they lost the first time was cause they didn't have him. And the second time they'll say he only played half a season.:)

Reaction Score
It's too bad he can't play, but Florida is still plenty good without him - they return Wilbekin and Young and add five star PG Kasey Hill and five star transfer Dorian Finney-Smith. They're plenty deep in the front court with Yeguete returning from injury. Their ceiling is certainly much lower without him, and it sucks that we will have to deal with the "UConn beat Florida, but without Chris Walker..." rhetoric, but they are still a top 15 team without him by any measure.

Scottie Wilbekin is currently suspended indefinitely, so that could be one less player on FL's roster come game day. I believe it's the 2nd year in a row he'll be starting the season suspended. Hill is supposedly an excellent incoming PG, so they could be fine, but it hurts FL's depth if Wilbekin is not there.

Reaction Score

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RPI doesn't differentiate when a player is missing or not, so our game against Florida in December will be worth as much as another team playing a home game against Florida when Walker is back. If that's the case it actually benefits us.

Reaction Score
Think that's true for next year, but not so much this year since we are playing Louisville twice.

Reaction Score
it sucks that we will have to deal with the "UConn beat Florida, but without Chris Walker..." rhetoric, but they are still a top 15 team without him by any measure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but RPI doesn't differentiate when a player is missing or not, so our game against Florida in December will be worth as much as another team playing a home game against Florida when Walker is back. If that's the case it actually benefits us.

Both of you are right. As far as the straight-up computer numbers, it won't make a difference. So if we beat a "patsy" Florida, and then they go on to win the SEC and get a top-5 RPI, we get credit for a top-5 RPI win.

That said, all the analysts will know what was up. However, it probably won't make a difference in their eyes.

I think the net is a positive -- it makes us more likely to win the game, without seriously diminishing the value of the win.

Reaction Score
UF is still loaded in the frontcourt without him, if UConn were to win there wouldn't be the need for an asterik.

Reaction Score
I just looked at their roster. How is Patric Young still a college student? I thought he was a senior two years ago. That kid's biceps are bigger than Nolan's waist.

Reaction Score
Scottie Wilbekin is currently suspended indefinitely, so that could be one less player on FL's roster come game day. I believe it's the 2nd year in a row he'll be starting the season suspended. Hill is supposedly an excellent incoming PG, so they could be fine, but it hurts FL's depth if Wilbekin is not there.

I'd assume Wilbekin would be back by December second, but who knows. I wonder if they'd play Hill and Wilbekin together at any point - that would be a fun match-up with Napier and Boatright.

Reaction Score
I just looked at their roster. How is Patric Young still a college student? I thought he was a senior two years ago. That kid's biceps are bigger than Nolan's waist.
Patric Young is still in college because he's not good enough for the NBA, kid looks like the biggest beast in college but doesn't play like it.

Reaction Score
I'd assume Wilbekin would be back by December second, but who knows. I wonder if they'd play Hill and Wilbekin together at any point - that would be a fun match-up with Napier and Boatright.

It would be fun to watch. I do like our backcourt better. From what I remember reading, Donovan definitely was not happy with Wilbekin after this last incident & needed to "grow up" in order to get back on the team. I wouldn't be surprised if Hill is the starting PG from day one.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET