No big girl in 2014? Big deal or not? Historical perspective: | The Boneyard

No big girl in 2014? Big deal or not? Historical perspective:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Our program history suggests that it might not matter if we go two years without signing a big girl (defined here as 6'2" or more). We missed for 2013 entering class, and some wonder if we might miss again in 2014. If we go three years, that could be another story. That is, if my thesis and analysis of the data prove to be correct. ( And I do have my doubts about that....check it out:)

Here is how it looks to me going back to Sept. entering classes starting in 1997. Looks to me like we did not sign a big girl who proved to be a impact player in either Sept. 1999 or 2000. The Big Rig did come in as a Junior in '99 (for that data I thank again those of you who chipped in to answer my earlier question about that particular signing class)......but she did not prove to be an impact player (though I personally thought she was under-utilized). Despite this two year gap, those entering classes participated in several national championships.....thanks to some impact Bigs who were still around from earlier and to some phenomenal shorter players.

During Sept 03, 04 and 05, the only significant big girl we signed was a once magnificent but now injured Hunter. That three year hiatus proved more challenging that the earlier two year gap, with the teams of that era more likely to be in the Sweet Sixteen to Elite Eight to Final Four categories. Though I believe by Hunter's senior year we were back to the national championship podium.

The next gap in Bigs was Sept 07 and 08....only two years (Buck did come to our team and won all our hearts, but like Rigby, never quite got to the "impact" level......once again, I felt she was underutilized, the many do not agree). That two year hiatus, like the earlier one, did not seem to matter: nothing less than Final Fours and some NCs as well.

So, will it really be a big deal if we don't land a big girl for next September?? And why? (Wish I had more confidence in my data - but I'm an old guy. Again, feel free to check it out; I'm too tired to triple check it, and I'd rather have a little sip before supper.)

U

UCONNfan1

We really won't know until the recruiting is done. There are still a couple 6'2" players in play as well as Wilson, the best in her class.

Reaction Score
I dont think we are in trouble unless we miss out in 2015. We have Stokes for 2 more seasons...this one and '14-'15. '15-'16 is Breanna's senior year, Morgan's as well, so you gotta bring in a couple bigs to rest your starters and groom them for college ball. It would be a shame to not at least pick up a forward from the 2014 class, Im sure some of those bigs would love a UConn this scholarship offer. True, Geno is a geniius, no doubt, but I think I read somewhere that his pursuit of perfection is his greatest strength and at times his greatest weakness. Im sure that could be applied to his recruiting too. With Stef gone after this year, I dont see why playing F/C for our Huskies wouldnt be an attractive proposition. Wilson, or any highly touted big, is virtually guaranteed heavy minutes and starting time halfway through freshman year and beginning sophomore year.

I think getting at least one big this year would go a long way but I dont think it's critical. That's my 2 cents.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Looks to me like we did not sign a big girl who proved to be a impact player in either Sept. 1999 or 2000.

Well actually Jessica Moore (6-3) did come in the 2000 class. Although she redshirted, so UCONN had her for 4 years after that, 2001/02 - 2004/05. Also DT came in the 200o class, so that kind of skews the view. As good as Williams, Eckmark and Edwards are, I don't think they are at the DT level.

This year we are all set. Next year (2014/15), no problems (KML, Stokes, Tuck, Stewart). 2015/16, still might manage but only have Stewart and Tuck and maybe a FR post (2015 class) ??? Injuries or foul trouble and that's really tight. I'd much rather have Wilson (of course) or some other Soph post (Westbold or Drummer) at that point, or preferably both.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think your general premise is correct - the women's game is not as dependent on height and the number of really quality post players is pretty limited. It is more attitude and build that allows a Barb Turner type player to be successful than her height. Obviously having a great post player is never a bad thing, but women's coaches are also pretty adept at running offenses and defenses without. Louisville was a height challenged team last year and made it to the final.
Between Stewart, Stokes and Tuck Uconn has enough to be successful next year and the following year - but it would be nice to find our next Dolson soon.

Reaction Score
We really won't know until the recruiting is done. There are still a couple 6'2" players in play as well as Wilson, the best in her class.

UCONN - true enough re those still available, and it makes me smile just to think of a trifecta you mention. (The main point of the thread, though, was: how much would it matter IF we don't get a Big for a second straight year....and "why"?)

Reaction Score
I dont think we are in trouble unless we miss out in 2015. We have Stokes for 2 more seasons...this one and '14-'15. '15-'16 is Breanna's senior year, Morgan's as well, so you gotta bring in a couple bigs to rest your starters and groom them for college ball. It would be a shame to not at least pick up a forward from the 2014 class, Im sure some of those bigs would love a UConn this scholarship offer. True, Geno is a geniius, no doubt, but I think I read somewhere that his pursuit of perfection is his greatest strength and at times his greatest weakness. Im sure that could be applied to his recruiting too. With Stef gone after this year, I dont see why playing F/C for our Huskies wouldnt be an attractive proposition. Wilson, or any highly touted big, is virtually guaranteed heavy minutes and starting time halfway through freshman year and beginning sophomore year.

I think getting at least one big this year would go a long way but I dont think it's critical. That's my 2 cents.

ALL: would agree almost word for word with what you say. A pretty good two cents and then some.

Reaction Score
Even if we do, we might just under-utilize 'em..:rolleyes:

PIN: or maybe even OVER-utilize em......that happens too. :rolleyes: (Speaking of which, have you tried using more, or less, of those meds? Do want you to be OK)

Well actually Jessica Moore (6-3) did come in the 2000 class. Although she redshirted, so UCONN had her for 4 years after that, 2001/02 - 2004/05. Also DT came in the 200o class, so that kind of skews the view. As good as Williams, Eckmark and Edwards are, I don't think they are at the DT level.

This year we are all set. Next year (2014/15), no problems (KML, Stokes, Tuck, Stewart). 2015/16, still might manage but only have Stewart and Tuck and maybe a FR post (2015 class) ??? Injuries or foul trouble and that's really tight. I'd much rather have Wilson (of course) or some other Soph post (Westbold or Drummer) at that point, or preferably both.

.)

MEYERS: arrrgh....agree with you again. This should not be happening. Spring isn't even in the air...........

Reaction Score
I think your general premise is correct - the women's game is not as dependent on height and the number of really quality post players is pretty limited. It is more attitude and build that allows a Barb Turner type player to be successful than her height. Obviously having a great post player is never a bad thing, but women's coaches are also pretty adept at running offenses and defenses without. Louisville was a height challenged team last year and made it to the final.
Between Stewart, Stokes and Tuck Uconn has enough to be successful next year and the following year - but it would be nice to find our next Dolson soon.

UC: solid. And I think your point about the solid Turner somatotype vs. height in and of itself, is very well taken. Not so sure that any of the four commits (including this year's Chong, obviously) are going to provide that.....but have only seen pix of two of the four. You mentioned the attitude as well as the build....probably a good bet that some or all of these four will excel there, in terms of rebounding hard???

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UC: solid. And I think your point about the solid Turner somatotype vs. height in and of itself, is very well taken. Not so sure that any of the four commits (including this year's Chong, obviously) are going to provide that.....but have only seen pix of two of the four. You mentioned the attitude as well as the build....probably a good bet that some or all of these four will excel there, in terms of rebounding hard???
Actually - just thought of a good comparison - The USA team this summer was really centerless and you had Graves playing huge but really out of position against the best age wise centers in the world. And I would put Tuck into the same group of players who have a bloody-minded determination that alters the dynamic of pure height.
We have a tradition of those type of players at Uconn going back to Jamelle and including Williams, Jones, and in important moments Crockett

Reaction Score
This logic only applies if the girl's college game is not evolving.
Dunno, but we hear and get frustrated about the bigs going elsewhere and those giant phenoms in HS in the pipeline.
Is the competition getting taller? I think it is.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This logic only applies if the girl's college game is not evolving.
Dunno, but we hear and get frustrated about the bigs going elsewhere and those giant phenoms in HS in the pipeline.
Is the competition getting taller? I think it is.
Somewhat valid, but I think that evolution is fairly slow - Williams and Jones were 'undersized' 12 years ago compared to the height of many centers - and we aren't seeing a Griner type center coming along in the next few years. 6'5" vs 6'2" is less significant than positioning, quickness, smarts, teamwork, and skill and that will probably be true for years to come. I would say there are probably a few more good 6'5" players around than in 2000, but it isn't like most teams have a Fowles or Charles or Griner or Leslie. There are not many a step down from those in the Dolson class either. There are more good players with some height but who are not true post players.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Thr biggest concern about getting a big,IMO,is getting them used to the direction and game plans of the coaching staff,and most big's usually struggle with what they are supposed to do and when they are supposed to to do it.Most big players seem to struggle some the first year,and even into their second.So getting a big in 2014 is necessary,waiting until 2015 is critical.However,seeing the way the coach has recruited and signed players in the past,it would not surprise me in the least,if he knows something,or is fairly confident about a recruit coming to the team soon.Then again,if all fails,there is not a coach in America,that I would feel more confident in,to devise an exceptional plan to be successful with what he has to work with.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYERS: arrrgh....agree with you again. This should not be happening. Spring isn't even in the air...........
You are coming to the dark side. :cool:

Reaction Score
You are coming to the dark side. :cool:

Yes, and it is quite unsettling. To try to change that trajectory, I'm going to lean in the other direction hard and launch my "sister thread" shortly on "Why we SHOULD get a Big" (or something like that for a title).

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Barbara Turner played like she was 6'3" and had a huge heart! Having a dominant post or a strong post then helps open up the rest of the floor for the guards and wings when they scheme to shut her down. Not essential- but really really helps!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Actually - just thought of a good comparison - The USA team this summer was really centerless and you had Graves playing huge but really out of position against the best age wise centers in the world. And I would put Tuck into the same group of players who have a bloody-minded determination that alters the dynamic of pure height.
We have a tradition of those type of players at Uconn going back to Jamelle and including Williams, Jones, and in important moments Crockett
Great pts UC- Crockett came up huge in regional or semi's her sr I think against Texas- 10-12 rebounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom