No Batouly -- anyone know details? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No Batouly -- anyone know details?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She can't get a red shirt. You have 5 years to use up your 4 years of eligibility, and she lost one of the years sitting out due to transfer. Plus UConn would have to prove that her injury is season ending which it likely is not.
As you point out, Batouly can get a 6th year redshirt for medical reasons if her injury is "season ending." I would respectfully submit that if Batouly doesn't play again, her injury is season ending.

Reaction Score
She can't get a red shirt. You have 5 years to use up your 4 years of eligibility, and she lost one of the years sitting out due to transfer. Plus UConn would have to prove that her injury is season ending which it likely is not.

This isn’t true. I forgot her name but the girl from OK is in her 6th year

Reaction Score
As you point out, Batouly can get a 6th year redshirt for medical reasons if her injury is "season ending." I would respectfully submit that if Batouly doesn't play again, her injury is season ending.
I don't believe the NCAA sees it that way unfortunately. It's not as easy as just saying Player X can't play the rest of the season therefore it's season ending. Otherwise teams could take advantage of being able to get an extra year for a player which would come in handy if a coach knows the cupboard is bare in an upcoming season. The granting of a 6th year to complete your 4 years of eligibility is fairly rare and seems to only be granted in exceptional cases, though what the NCAA determines as exceptional these days is anyone's guess.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the NCAA sees it that way unfortunately. It's not as easy as just saying Player X can't play the rest of the season therefore it's season ending. Otherwise teams could take advantage of being able to get an extra year for a player which would come in handy if a coach knows the cupboard is bare in an upcoming season. The granting of a 6th year to complete your 4 years of eligibility is fairly rare and seems to only be granted in exceptional cases, though what the NCAA determines as exceptional these days is anyone's guess.

The granting of a 6th year is also more common in cases - like Manning's - when the player has lost two years due to injury. In cases when one of the two lost years was due to a player's choice to transfer - they are less likely to grant the 6th season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I agree that the potential for abuse exists, if UConn were to seek a 6th year of eligibility for Batouly, I would certainly expect that they would submit the requisite medical documentation from medical professionals certifying to the fact that Batouly's injuries prevented her from competing this season. Other than a few minutes in 2 games and warmups, we haven't seen much of Batouly in a game and it's my understanding that she continues to be limited in what she can do during practice. If she can't practice, she can't play. If that continues to be the case for the rest of the season, I think a 6th year redshirt is a distinct possibility if Batouly wants it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The granting of a 6th year is also more common in cases - like Manning's - when the player has lost two years due to injury. In cases when one of the two lost years was due to a player's choice to transfer - they are less likely to grant the 6th season.

True, but they sometimes make exceptions. Case Keenum was granted his sixth year with Houston. His appeal case was even worse than a player who sits out a transfer season. He just plain redshirted for one season, and had an injury redshirt season as a senior. I think he won his appeal for two reasons. He was a high profile star player, and he's a devout Christian, the type of "student-athlete" poster boy the NCAA wants so they can cultivate that image. In other words, as with everything the NCAA does, it's all political and largely corrupt.

Reaction Score

You are right as I see it. The longer it goes the less likely it gets. But gratefully we saw her in the OKLA game, for a minute or 3. So, it is possible she is on again off again, which leave us with possibilities.

Reaction Score
While I agree that the potential for abuse exists, if UConn were to seek a 6th year of eligibility for Batouly, I would certainly expect that they would submit the requisite medical documentation from medical professionals certifying to the fact that Batouly's injuries prevented her from competing this season. Other than a few minutes in 2 games and warmups, we haven't seen much of Batouly in a game and it's my understanding that she continues to be limited in what she can do during practice. If she can't practice, she can't play. If that continues to be the case for the rest of the season, I think a 6th year redshirt is a distinct possibility if Batouly wants it.

To me the real question for Uconn is: How much will she, if fully healthy, be needed the 6th year? Second part: If she isn't fully healthy of what value to the team will she be? (Geno rarely weights as the 2nd part)
If she is a REAL talent and a factor under the boards then --your highlighted portion (possibly) does not apply (possibly) Remember Britany Hunter, she practiced when she wanted, played as she wanted/as necessary.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
True, but they sometimes make exceptions. Case Keenum was granted his sixth year with Houston. His appeal case was even worse than a player who sits out a transfer season. He just plain redshirted for one season, and had an injury redshirt season as a senior. I think he won his appeal for two reasons. He was a high profile star player, and he's a devout Christian, the type of "student-athlete" poster boy the NCAA wants so they can cultivate that image. In other words, as with everything the NCAA does, it's all political and largely corrupt.
Come on now Nick. What has the NCAA ever done to make you think they are corrupt? There are some Carolina teams that think the world of them.

Reaction Score

Actually Houston documented that Keenum missed his first season due to a shoulder injury, so he had two missed years due to injury - similar to Manning.

Reaction Score

There has been cases of the NCAA granting a player a 6th year for injuries. Remember the NCAA is the one who decided ND's Jessica Shepard, the transfer from Nebraska, didn't have to sit out her transfer year so anything is possible in the eyes of the NCAA! And concerning if Batouly's injury is season ending, if she can't physically play in the games it's season ending!
I'm hoping after this Holiday layoff she can get back to practicing and playing in games! We could sure use her down the road!

Reaction Score
If we were ND, no worries.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If we were ND, no worries.

As long as Mark Emmert continues to run the NCAA, we will get zero favors from them. I always love the incredibly awkward encounters when he has to hand a championship trophy to any UCONN coach on the podiums at Final Fours. He can't wait to slink off into the background once the trophies are handed over, like the crook he is and was when he worked for UCONN. The guy is a complete slime ball.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Well yeah, stuff you don’t usually do for a bruise. People recover from bruises pretty quickly. My point was that it wasn’t just a bruise.

There's a big difference between a bruise and a bone bruise - recovery time for a bone bruise is anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 years. Some more info on bone bruises here including the different types. Bone Bruise: Symptoms, Treatment, and Outlook

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
One of the more noticeable players at the practice was sophomore forward Batouly Camara, who has played in just two games and has been limited to only five minutes in the first 10 games because of a knee injury she suffered during the preseason. She was making her presence felt defensively in the low post and was aggressively going after offensive rebounds.

“I could tell especially today that she was really aggressive and really out there to make a statement that she wanted to play,” Samuelson said. “If she continues to do that, she will fit right in and continue to get better and better.

“She is kind of that hard-nosed player that we kind of don’t have so far and we all need to get better, when she is playing as aggressive as she can, she will knock people over, she will do things that not one of us really do so even if it is out of control sometimes, it is something we really need sometimes.”

No. 1 UConn getting healthier even as Geno Auriemma misses practice

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
One of the more noticeable players at the practice was sophomore forward Batouly Camara, who has played in just two games and has been limited to only five minutes in the first 10 games because of a knee injury she suffered during the preseason. She was making her presence felt defensively in the low post and was aggressively going after offensive rebounds.

“I could tell especially today that she was really aggressive and really out there to make a statement that she wanted to play,” Samuelson said. “If she continues to do that, she will fit right in and continue to get better and better.

“She is kind of that hard-nosed player that we kind of don’t have so far and we all need to get better, when she is playing as aggressive as she can, she will knock people over, she will do things that not one of us really do so even if it is out of control sometimes, it is something we really need sometimes.”

Hmmm. Why would Lou practice without the knee-pads that she wears every game?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I continue to feel that Batouly is an important insurance policy for games with TX, SC, Lou & perhaps MS St in the tournament. She can provide important minutes in the post, hopefully keeping Z & Pheesa out of foul trouble. Her size and strength allow her to body up players like Holmes, Wilson & McCowan. Fingers crossed that she makes a full recovery and is able to contribute.

Reaction Score

Exactly---and I submit that until the documentation is presented to the NCAA, Fans won't know their decision. Geno knows the rules and his medical staff wi ll have the necessary Medical records to provide evidence. Never say Never, Then she could attend "classes" available to everyone--and we know how that works.

Reaction Score
I continue to feel that Batouly is an important insurance policy for games with TX, SC, Lou & perhaps MS St in the tournament. She can provide important minutes in the post, hopefully keeping Z & Pheesa out of foul trouble. Her size and strength allow her to body up players like Holmes, Wilson & McCowan. Fingers crossed that she makes a full recovery and is able to contribute.
The requirement for someone "like Touly" is evident. Holmes to me appears much heavier than I remember her to be, takes more to push her around. The lack of another REAL post type after Z is a concern to me. All is well as long as Gabby, Napeesa and Z stay foul free.
All that said: If Walker and or AEH can give the minutes I believe them capable of giving; Gabby and maybe Napheesa can be "covered" for some minutes even in big games should fouls become a problem . Geno seems to be seeing that possibility in the minutes he is using them, Walker more than AEH.
Azura is Dukes gift to Geno and us, she is all they said and we are blessed to have her, she could mean another 1 or 2 NC's---I don't want to sell her presence short.

Reaction Score
After all, college is the best six years of your life, right? :cool:
22 FOR ME. Can't say they were all the BEST. Just takes some longer than other---then there is the guy who only want to sail all summer and encourage a female crew during the year---I think he is still working at it at Uconn.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Why would Lou practice without the knee-pads that she wears every game?

I have no specific evidence relative to our Lou, but when I played I regarded knee pads as an evil necessity. To loose, I’d have to fuss with them. Too tight, and they pinched. They were generally effective for their purpose, but weren’t comfy at all. Like I said, it’s just a guess.

Reaction Score
After watching/listening to Batouly in the Memphis pre-game video she sounded so upbeat that I really think she is finally headed in the right direction injury-wise! The time off was truly beneficial for her!
If she can get in game shape quickly she will be a major + inside rebounding and her short offensive game!
I've said previously that seeing Batouly at KY, reminds me of a taller Jamelle Elliot, and to me that's a huge compliment as I admire Jamelle's "heart" and skill!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom