Nneka very high on Liv. " She is a sponge" | The Boneyard

Nneka very high on Liv. " She is a sponge"

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I found this assessment of Liv by the truest of professionals Nneka very exciting

Ten-year WNBA veteran Nneka Ogwumike credited Nelson-Ododa for always asking questions during practices and trying to learn as much as she could.

“Since 2019, (Nelson-Ododa) is the one rookie that I can say, she gets it,” Ogwumike said Sunday. “She gets it. She definitely gets it. She has a long career in this league. She’s a sponge. She doesn’t complain, she works hard, she pays attention, she’s focused, she’s driven. She doesn’t let distractions get to her; she knows what’s important to her.

“She asks a lot of questions and I look forward to seeing how she develops, assuming she has some more experience playing overseas, you know, and just really becoming a great player for this league. I’m really excited to see her get better and I’m hoping I get to work out with her in the offseason, too.”

Interim Los Angeles head coach Fred Williams also credited Nelson-Ododa’s ability to soak up information quickly.

“She can be a defensive stopper and I know she’s got that slingshot funny shot, but she’s just a warrior,” he said Sunday. “She just really tries, (it’s in) her eyes when you’re coaching her and she wants to be better. I think she can be one of the dominant forces in this league once she gets it. Once she gets in the weight room a little bit more and works at it.”

Nelson-Ododa said she’s decided to play professionally overseas in Australia this offseason. While she leaves for Australia in October, she said she wants to focus on adding more versatile skills and working on her shot.

Liv also adds a lot of praise for the UConn program demanding alot from her and able to focus on what is important.

Reaction Score
So happy for Olivia, always a fan of her and her work down low often getting pounded by the opposition and never giving up. She had a wonderful mid-range shot that I wish when open she would have taken more but often passed to a teammate cutting or down low.
I would recommend anyone disparaging a big to get to a game or two front row under the basket. It is an eye opening experience compared to what TV can show. Been there and done that, Olivia is and was a bleed blue player to be proud of.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Trainers at the pro level can put Liv on a diet and weight training regimen that WILL put some muscle on her. She’ll never look like Giannis Antetokounmpo, but she will be stronger, and better able to defend post players that are heavier than she is.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It is interesting that she implies quite a few rookies don't come into the league ready to focus all their efforts on the team.
She may have some salient comparisons close at mind. As you may recall, this season she picked up teammates like Liz Cambage and Chennedy Carter...

Reaction Score
Liv is a warrior. Congratulations. Some more muscle/strength will go a long way. She is not
intimidated and will learn how to defend and score against bigger women. She can jump and is
a very good defender. Go Liv!

Reaction Score
Liv is a warrior. Congratulations. Some more muscle/strength will go a long way. She is not
intimidated and will learn how to defend and score against bigger women. She can jump and is
a very good defender. Go Liv!
Liv doesn't need to "muscle" anyone; that's not her game; speed and quickness is her game, eh? She needs to improve her 'deception' esp on offense. That will come from experience and different coaching.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Liv doesn't need to "muscle" anyone; that's not her game; speed and quickness is her game, eh? She needs to improve her 'deception' esp on offense. That will come from experience and different coaching.
If Liv wants to be a starting center in the WNBA, she needs to be able to rebound against other top centers. That will require muscle. Today, if Liv goes up for a rebound against Teaira McGowan, Stef Dolson, or Brionna Jones, who do you think will come down with it?

Reaction Score
If Liv wants to be a starting center in the WNBA, she needs to be able to rebound against other top centers. That will require muscle. Today, if Liv goes up for a rebound against Teaira McGowan, Stef Dolson, or Brionna Jones, who do you think will come down with it?
You're assuming the rebound will come straight down. No, you have to "go after it"! and who is gonna block more shots? bulkier Stef? or lithe, nimble Liv?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom