Nite owl ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Nite owl ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  • Conflicted emotions after last night's game. Proud of the way our guys battled and never gave up. Disappointed that their efforts didn't result in the desired outcome.
  • We had a few too many defensive breakdowns that let guys get to the hole unmolested, but overall, as a team, we played decent defense.
  • Anyone who thinks that Whaley wasn't the POG last night should just stop watching basketball, because they have no understanding of the game. He was energetic, engaged and effective for every second of the 39 minutes he was on the floor. I've been a fan since we saw him get some productive minutes late in his freshman year, and have been waiting for him to break out ever since. Hoping he keeps it up.
  • 90% from the FT line. That's the Team, not just CV! We just didn't get there enough. Early on, it seemed like the refs were just calling it tight in both directions, but as the game wore on, it seemed to get kind of one sided. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but if I was, I might be inclined to suspect we're getting special 'parting gift' treatment from the officials this season. They only called 3 more on us than on Temple, but the difference in shooting fouls was huge. The Owls shot 35 FTs to our 20.
  • Bouk's mysterious string of MIA first halves continues. Last night, he didn't score at all until the 2:13 mark in the half. Then mid 2nd half, he came alive and scored 7 points in about 4 minutes, followed by 7 points in the first overtime, then he started the 2nd OT with a gorgeous dime to Whaley.
  • CV seemed to be on the opposite schedule from Bouk, with 14 first half points, then didn't score again until there was a minute and a half left in regulation and added another five points in the last minute and a half of the 2nd OT.
  • If anyone told me that Sid was going to only score one basket, it wouldn't surprise me. But it would definitely surprise me a little if that one hoop was a three pointer. But he's 6 for 14 from 3 for the season. Maybe he should shoot a few more.
  • Gaffney - what can you say about 9 dimes, 2 steals, 6 for 6 from the line and 12 total points. He did everything you expect your point guard to do, and played 40 minutes.
  • When we went up 4 on consecutive Whaley buckets to open the 2nd OT, I was convinced we were going to win. SIGH.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is making me less worried about the legend of RJ Cole. He looks very good. Temple wanted to give us that game but we refused to take it. It was exciting without being good. And can you imagine Jim Calhoun saying he was proud of his teams fight after a loss like that? They’d be lucky he didn’t make them work on late game ball handling when the got back to campus. Finally I agree with you on Whaley. He was our best player out there and played effectively with 4 fouls for about 8 minutes plus both ots.

Reaction Score
  • Conflicted emotions after last night's game. Proud of the way our guys battled and never gave up. Disappointed that their efforts didn't result in the desired outcome.
  • We had a few too many defensive breakdowns that let guys get to the hole unmolested, but overall, as a team, we played decent defense.
  • Anyone who thinks that Whaley wasn't the POG last night should just stop watching basketball, because they have no understanding of the game. He was energetic, engaged and effective for every second of the 39 minutes he was on the floor. I've been a fan since we saw him get some productive minutes late in his freshman year, and have been waiting for him to break out ever since. Hoping he keeps it up.
  • 90% from the FT line. That's the Team, not just CV! We just didn't get there enough. Early on, it seemed like the refs were just calling it tight in both directions, but as the game wore on, it seemed to get kind of one sided. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but if I was, I might be inclined to suspect we're getting special 'parting gift' treatment from the officials this season. They only called 3 more on us than on Temple, but the difference in shooting fouls was huge. The Owls shot 35 FTs to our 20.
  • Bouk's mysterious string of MIA first halves continues. Last night, he didn't score at all until the 2:13 mark in the half. Then mid 2nd half, he came alive and scored 7 points in about 4 minutes, followed by 7 points in the first overtime, then he started the 2nd OT with a gorgeous dime to Whaley.
  • CV seemed to be on the opposite schedule from Bouk, with 14 first half points, then didn't score again until there was a minute and a half left in regulation and added another five points in the last minute and a half of the 2nd OT.
  • If anyone told me that Sid was going to only score one basket, it wouldn't surprise me. But it would definitely surprise me a little if that one hoop was a three pointer. But he's 6 for 14 from 3 for the season. Maybe he should shoot a few more.
  • Gaffney - what can you say about 9 dimes, 2 steals, 6 for 6 from the line and 12 total points. He did everything you expect your point guard to do, and played 40 minutes.
  • When we went up 4 on consecutive Whaley buckets to open the 2nd OT, I was convinced we were going to win. SIGH.
Agree with everything. To your last point I thought we had the game then too but back to back pointless fouls gave up 4 points. Those were not thinking fatigue fouls.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
[*]Anyone who thinks that Whaley wasn't the POG last night should just stop watching basketball, because they have no understanding of the game. He was energetic, engaged and effective for every second of the 39 minutes he was on the floor.

[*]When we went up 4 on consecutive Whaley buckets to open the 2nd OT, I was convinced we were going to win. SIGH.
We lost the most aware and cool-headed player when he went to the bench with his (questionable) 4th foul.

We should practically never have someone shooting a three-pointer whenever we have the lead with less than 4 minutes left. Better to concentrate on maintaining the distance by protecting the ball, shutting down the other team's scoring, and making crucial free throws. We are successful the last, even getting better with stops, but our opponents have often too scored after ill-chosen & unnecessary 3-point attempts.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is making me less worried about the legend of RJ Cole. He looks very good. Temple wanted to give us that game but we refused to take it. It was exciting without being good. And can you imagine Jim Calhoun saying he was proud of his teams fight after a loss like that? They’d be lucky he didn’t make them work on late game ball handling when the got back to campus. Finally I agree with you on Whaley. He was our best player out there and played effectively with 4 fouls for about 8 minutes plus both ots.
Can you imagine Calhoun coaching with 7 healthy players in a rebuild after seeing 2 of his starters go down with devastating injuries? I'm pretty sure he would be proud of the effort.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
On your last point: up 4 and we got a Temple TO and a layup rattles off the rim that would have put us up 6. 6 points in OT may as well be a million.

On FTs, midway through the second half Rose had more FTs than our whole team. 10-9.

This just felt like a win. Still trying to figure out how it slipped away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom