NIT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIT

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Hoops fans, which of these 5 great schools had the best season this year and why?

@NorthwesternU @IlliniMBB @SetonHallMBB @MSU_Basketball @UVAMensHoops

Help us settle an argument at our local pub

Reaction Score
Hoops fans, which of these 5 great schools had the best season this year and why?

@NorthwesternU @IlliniMBB @SetonHallMBB @MSU_Basketball @UVAMensHoops

Help us settle an argument at our local pub
Illinois

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Trying to keep up with the latest narratives, did the Big East still embarrass themselves in the NIT or can we put that nonsense to rest now?
Well, nova, pc, and Butler absolutely did with 3 first round home losses.

Reaction Score
Next Season started when the tournament started- both the NCAA and NIT. Think about how much SH got a chance to grow as a team by playing these extra games against quality competition.

The teams that sat out like St. John’s missed out on a chance to get better as a team - their loss IMO.

Congrats SH on a great win!

Reaction Score
“It’s no secret that Seton Hall has difficulty competing with the top schools in the Big East -- to say nothing of the top programs nationally -- on the NIL front.”

Multiple sources have stated they have no NIL money.

Reaction Score
Great coaching experience for Holloway. Tournament experience. Not the big stage but win or go home experience none the less.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm against expanding the NCAA Tournament, but what about...

The winner of the NIT gets an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament next season. At worst, the NIT winner replaces the 11-seed in the play-in game, but then they can be "upseeded" if their play warrants it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

The winner of the NIT gets an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament next season. At worst, the NIT winner replaces the 11-seed in the play-in game, but then they can be "upseeded" if their play warrants it.

I'm all for being creative but I can't get behind this, as it would allow a team that (a) was too crappy to get into the NCAA tourney one year and (b) is too crappy to get into the NCAA tourney the next year to get in over a team that (a) was good enough to make the NCAA tourney one year and (b) has a better resume than the NIT champ.

I also don't think it's enough incentive to get teams to participate in the NIT, balanced against all the reasons teams and players now have to skip it.

Reaction Score
Congrats to S. Hall, would have been a legit sweet 16 team in the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
Next Season started when the tournament started- both the NCAA and NIT. Think about how much SH got a chance to grow as a team by playing these extra games against quality competition.

The teams that sat out like St. John’s missed out on a chance to get better as a team - their loss IMO.

Congrats SH on a great win!
Different circumstances. SJ had nothing to gain considering most of their team is moving on next year. SH, on the other hand, probably won't have a team as good as this one for a while, so it makes sense that they maximize what they got.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing i'm a bit curious about is if Rick's rant hurt the BE also rans. He basically told the world that the team his assistants gave him was inadeqauate (and even a coach as great as he is couldn't do anyhting to improve them) and then basically established them aas the best BE school outside of the top three (who had each spent quite a bit of time in the top ten polls).

The committe easily could have taken the stance "St John's is the best remaining BE school and their coach admitted to the world that they aren't any good".

Reaction Score
Well, I guess the loss at Seton Hall wasn't as much of a fluke as we may have thought at the time!

Reaction Score
Well, I guess the loss at Seton Hall wasn't as much of a fluke as we may have thought at the time!
They were a really tough team @ home during the season. Their problem was their early season non-conf struggles where they dropped 4 out of 5. But they proved they could get it done away from home against GA and Indiana St.

Reaction Score
Clearly Seton Hall was screwed by the committee. If you're in it, you might as well win it. And they can take something from this season for their trophy case. Good for their karma.

Reaction Score

Mentioned in another thread, but European soccer does something similar with the Europa League and Champion's League. Teams used to phone it in for the Europa but began taking it more seriously, especially as they got closer to the title, once that change was implemented. Sure it would make teams think twice before declining. The new Fox tournament is awful, however.

It'll dilute attention, while still being in competition with the NIT, so both are weakened. And it's between the Big East and other big conferences, ensuring that weak teams from established conferences get more screen time instead of interesting and dynamic teams that are, admittedly, less familiar. It's a mirror of what is happening with conference realignment, in the worst possible way. The NIT might not be long for this world with the Fox tournament. And I think the Fox tournament, lacking the charm of drawing from the entire pool of teams, won't last long either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom